Poll for 2012 Charity - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

View Poll Results: Which Charity should MHF Support in 2012
Alzheimer UK 11 11.22%
Bloodbikes 2 2.04%
Breast Cancer Care 3 3.06%
British Heart Foundation 1 1.02%
British Legion 1 1.02%
Cancer Research UK 24 24.49%
Children in Need 4 4.08%
Children’s Liver Disease Foundation 0 0%
Cinnamon Trust 0 0%
Clic Sergent 4 4.08%
Cystic Fibrosis Trust 2 2.04%
Diabetes UK 5 5.10%
Dogs Trust 4 4.08%
Hearing dogs for the Deaf 2 2.04%
Help For Heroes 6 6.12%
Jo's Trust 0 0%
MacMillan 3 3.06%
MS Society 0 0%
Ovacome 1 1.02%
Ovarian Cancer trust 1 1.02%
Poppy Appeal 0 0%
RADAR 0 0%
RSPCA 2 2.04%
Spinal Injuries Association 0 0%
Spinal Research 0 0%
SSAFA 6 6.12%
The Air Ambulance 16 16.33%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 19:09

Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't the air ambulance made up of many separate charitable organisations throughout the UK.

How would it be decided which area gets the funds?

Is it better to beg forgiveness than to ask for permission?

George and Angie
click here for photo album
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by an99uk
Someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't the air ambulance made up of many separate charitable organisations throughout the UK.

How would it be decided which area gets the funds?
Yes.
Each area runs its own charity and has its own people but a donation can be made to the central Air Ambulance Association.
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallytrafic
I thought it time that Children got our charity quids.
I'm with Frank. I read a story about 20 years ago at a campsite, where a small child known to the family of the owners, was struggling with leukaemia. It was a terribly sad story, without a happy end, but it was heartwarming to read about the support she, and her family, had been getting from CLiC (as they were at the time).

Apart from 2011, where I supported the lovely Mavis's Mesothelioma charity, I always support children's charities where I can.

CLiC Sargent for me.

Gerald

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:19

I'm at a bit of a loss in trying to understand the logic of the MHF charity.

We are all asked to suggest worthy causes and obviously forward our favourite - the one we would contribute to if we were not in MHF.

When the poll is completed and the most popular charity is chosen, we make our contributions and the money goes to that cause.

So, if I suggest a cancer based charity but the Battersea Dogs Home is the MHF choice, the money that I would've given to my charity would go to the dog's home (an example of course).

So, in that case, why would I contribute to the MHF pot?

Or am I missing something - does MHF double the amount contributed by members?
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt

We are all asked to suggest worthy causes and obviously forward our favourite - the one we would contribute to if we were not in MHF.

When the poll is completed and the most popular charity is chosen, we make our contributions and the money goes to that cause.

So, if I suggest a cancer based charity but the Battersea Dogs Home is the MHF choice, the money that I would've given to my charity would go to the dog's home (an example of course).

The Money on the Home page is the money collected and goes to the Charity.

I understand what you are saying but the people that win with their Charity should do all they can to raise money and run Raffles etc etc and we dont mind donating like that.

I had a wonderful band of helper's this year but I know I made it more personal with having Mesothelioma and have survived 3 years and beaten the 3 months given to me. Chemo starts Monday again so the Macmillan and Mesothelioma UK are working hard for me to.

But yes I really do get what you are saying people want to give to their own Charities and can do so but MHFacts can make such a difference to a Charity so please vote and what ever one wins lets support.
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by locovan

The Money on the Home page is the money collected and goes to the Charity.

I understand what you are saying but the people that win with their Charity should do all they can to raise money and run Raffles etc etc and we dont mind donating like that.

I had a wonderful band of helper's this year but I know I made it more personal with having Mesothelioma and have survived 3 years and beaten the 3 months given to me. Chemo starts Monday again so the Macmillan and Mesothelioma UK are working hard for me to.

But yes I really do get what you are saying people want to give to their own Charities and can do so but MHFacts can make such a difference to a Charity so please vote and what ever one wins lets support.
I understand your desire to get people to contribute to your favourite charity but in doing so they are not supporting their own chosen causes.

Do you really expect people to contribute to a charity just because it's the MHF one and not give that dosh to their chosen one?

Sorry - it doesn't make any sense to me and the poll seems to be a pointless exercise - all it does is to produce a league table of member's favourite charities.
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 09:58

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
My thoughts are that the money raised by the MHF charity events is EXTRA to the money that I would choose to donate independently it is not a replacement for it.

As an example, last year the chosen charity was Mesothelioma - an excellent cause and well worth supporting, but supporting that did not stop me supporting the Poppy appeal, or Help for Heroes when I encountered the opportunity to support them - albeit not through MHF.

I suspect that very many MHF subscribers similarly made a donation and received a poppy prior to November 11th.

So while I can understand your view, think of it as an extra rather than a replacement - many of the fund-raising events take place through rallies or through specially organised events, each of us chooses at the time whether we want to support that or not - no-one can expect everyone to attend every event.........

I hope others agree with my interpretation,

Dave
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 10:00

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
I tend to support MHF Charity Via people who are voting with their feet so to speak

Eg Geoff who walked 1000 miles for MHF Charity, buying Pussers book etc

As I see it all are worthy charities therefore I am happy to donate to whichever wins as well as donating to other charities along the way

every little helps

But I thought this thread was about voting for a charity not for debating whether or not we should have a MHF Charity. Thought that was already decided if we've reached the voting stage

Aldra
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:08

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt

I'm guessing that mainly or initially the fund raising takes place with things like raffles at rallies. The kind of thing that most people would contribute to if they were there unless they were actually opposed to the charity. I don't think this sort of giving usually conflicts with any decisions people make about which charities to support regularly. Also, some members last year gave up their profits from books they had written, for the Mesothelioma charity, which of course they might not have done if MHF had chosen a different charily. People buying the books may have done so anyway because they wanted the books.

Some time ago I made a commitment to give to Action Aid, by direct debit. This last year I felt strongly about the Mesothelioma charity so I made an additional commitment, to pay an amount each month via the Just Giving site. I may or may not support the 2012 MHF charity in the same way, but if I don't it won't stop me buying a raffle ticket at a rally, if I ever get to one.

I understand your point but if Nuke wants to raise money for charity through his site I think that's fine, nobody had to give. I do think though it is best if it is a charity which will gain wide support, hence I favour the two stage voting system. In this way people who feel their vote might be wasted in the first round if they support their favourite on the list get a second chance to choose between the front runners.

Chris

PS I voted for Children in Need in the first round. That would probably get a monthly commitment from me if it wins.
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 16:11

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
keep those votes coming in.....

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page