Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Charity (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/167-charity/)
-   -   Children in need (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/167-charity/92832-children-need.html)

sallytrafic 20-11-2011 09:10

Children in need

When I heard the figure of £26 million as the 'on the night total' I thought Wow! but latterly I have got to think that that isn't much money really.

Let's face it these days 26 million is just a few city bonuses.

When you see the hospice support and day care respite for terminally Ill or severely disabled children that is supported by Children in Need you can see that more needs to be done. That 26 million gets cut up in so many ways.

I would like to suggest that we make it our charity for 2012.

ChrisandJohn 20-11-2011 11:35

I'd support that one. :)

Chris

motormouth 20-11-2011 12:32

I'm sure there will be records somewhere, but I would like to see a detailed breakdown of where the money goes to every year. It just staggers me that despite the millions raised evey year, added to other charities, that we still see such depressing scenes of kids suffering. Surely they don't have to rely solely on charitable donations, what does the government do to help??
Or do they just sit back and wait for children in need to come along?

locovan 20-11-2011 13:47

Yes I support this one.
I do like Children in Need as it is UK based and I do believe charity begins at home --does that make me a bad person :oops:

Motormouth you would be surprised at how Charities do have to rely on money from us The biggest eye open for me is that all our cancer units run on Macmillan charity money with their nurses thats why I put Mesothelioma Uk forward as this is the Macmillan backing for us patients.
I always thought Macmillan nurses came with equipment for the home as a patient neared the end of their life --I couldn't be more wrong they run our cancer units and supply all the information a patient could want they are there at the end of a phone to talk about appointments and treatments etc etc
I do feel the government hide behind Charities and that they should do more.

MrsW 20-11-2011 14:36

When we adopted our disabled daughter as a toddler at a time when we were really struggling financially (one income, 7 mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay) Children in Need bought us a new washing machine when ours gave up the ghost. It probably only cost them £150 but it made an enormous difference to our lives. (Our disabled daughter soaked her bed once or twice every night, so I had masses of washing each day!)

I think Children in Need would be a very good charity for next year.

aldra 20-11-2011 15:03

Id be happy with that to

Aldra :D

ChrisandJohn 20-11-2011 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by locovan
I do like Children in Need as it is UK based and I do believe charity begins at home --does that make me a bad person :oops: .

Mavis :roll: As if you could be a bad person :lol:

But, I don't think the idea that charity begins at home should mean it has to stay there. :)

Chris

peedee 20-11-2011 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by locovan
Yes I support this one.
I do like Children in Need as it is UK based and I do believe charity begins at home.

100 percent agree and I am a me too.

peedee

sallytrafic 21-11-2011 06:33

Thanks to all who support this idea .. and to motormouth I go through life with a less jaundiced view. Yes governments of all shades should do more but I would rather trust charities than demand their accounts before contributing.

Thinking about it more can you really want government getting involved more in the decisions about what to spend and where as they certainly would do if it was taxpayers money being used.

Happyrunner 21-11-2011 13:59

Topic review

Hi maivs

Bad Maivs NO,
Charity should stay there at this times,
The UK government ie us taxpayers are charity for the world,
Yes I will support this one.

Mike