Children in need - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by locovan
I do feel the government hide behind Charities and that they should do more.
I'm with you on that one.

It's about time the governments of the world faced up to their responsibilities and provided decent support for those in need.

There's enough dosh in their coffers but while the man in the street continues to finance these needy people, governments will sit back and look the other way.

It will never happen though because we can't stand by and watch people suffer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 15:41

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Re: Topic review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyrunner
snipped...Charity should stay there at this times,
The thing I don't understand about this viewpoint is that money given to charity by individuals is their own money given freely.

I can understand, but not agree with, the view that governments shouldn't give foreign aid, but how can people justify saying who others should or should not give their money to?

Chris
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 16:02

Hmmm Chris sorry I think I have been taken wrongly you can give your money to who ever you like and around the world.

I just meant that I love Children in need because it is used here at home on so many really needed charities hence I like the saying Charity begins at home.

We are in terrible times money wise and there is a lot of suffering in the UK we need to help our fellow countrymen now more than ever.
Look at the Give a coat campaigne, how sad is that, people are cold because of the price of fuel and I for one will be turning out my coats to keep some older person warm.

I do feel the governments hide behind our generosity all the time the Macmillan nurses are a prime example of that. They work so hard within the NHS and they are a charity.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallytrafic
Thanks to all who support this idea .. and to motormouth I go through life with a less jaundiced view. Yes governments of all shades should do more but I would rather trust charities than demand their accounts before contributing.

Thinking about it more can you really want government getting involved more in the decisions about what to spend and where as they certainly would do if it was taxpayers money being used.
I don't think I have a jaundiced view on this. I just believe it is the governments responsibility to care for those who genuinely need it. If they stopped wasting money on things like child benefit given to families who don't need it, to benefit scroungers, to jobless who have no intention of ever getting a job, etc etc, then I am sure there would be enough to look after those kids who desperately need care and support. It just seems to me that regardless of how much money is raised every year by children in need and all the other charities, that not much seems to get any better. I don't know the total, but C.I.N must have raised well over £300 million since it started yet still we see kids in trouble.

And I don't think I said I demanded to see accounts before contributing did I???
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 16:17

Quote:
Hmmm Chris sorry I think I have been taken wrongly you can give your money to who ever you like and around the world.

I just meant that I love Children in need because it is used here at home on so many really needed charities hence I like the saying Charity begins at home.

We are in terrible times money wise and there is a lot of suffering in the UK we need to help our fellow countrymen now more than ever.
Look at the Give a coat campaigne, how sad is that, people are cold because of the price of fuel and I for one will be turning out my coats to keep some older person warm.

I do feel the governments hide behind our generosity all the time the Macmillan nurses are a prime example of that. They work so hard within the NHS and they are a charity.
Mavis, I don't think I misunderstood you, I was responding to Happyrunner who, by saying 'charity should stay there', meaning 'at home' seems to be meaning that people shouldn't give to overseas charity, even if they also give to UK charities.

Chris
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandJohn
Quote:

Mavis, I don't think I misunderstood you, I was responding to Happyrunner who, by saying 'charity should stay there', meaning 'at home' seems to be meaning that people shouldn't give to overseas charity, even if they also give to UK charities.

Chris
Oh Ok-- I read differently-- that as Mike was saying in these hard times the money is needed for our own as well
Governments around the world should take more responsibility for their people though.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 17:42

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris
Oh Ok-- I read differently-- that as Mike was saying in these hard times the money is needed for our own as well
Governments around the world should take more responsibility for their people though.

However hard our times are there are people elsewhere whose need is perhaps even more desperate. I'm also not sure who 'our own' are. Is it the people in my family? my village? my town? region? country? People of the same religion? culture? people with the same disease or problem?

I accept what the saying 'Charity begins at home' means to you but I feel it is often used to disparage the idea of giving to 'foreign' charities, or as an excuse for not giving at all, meaning 'I'm spending my money all on my family'. My view is it's fine if charity begins at home, and clearly our primary responsibility is to our own family, but it doesn't have to begin and end there.

I'm feeling a bit guilty now for going off the topic of supporting Children in Need, which I totally agree with.

Chris
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 19:01

My Motorhome: 2013 Hymer 680 MB
Before deciding to donate to a particular charity, enquiries need to be made about where the money goes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Minister.html

tony

WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion

Academia and government artificially select for particular traits, among which is a lack of life experience. This is why it's possible for a person to be exceptionally bright while failing to grasp something as rudimentary as supply and demand.

Intellectuals: All engine, no map.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 19:06

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

However hard our times are there are people elsewhere whose need is perhaps even more desperate. I'm also not sure who 'our own' are. Is it the people in my family? my village? my town? region? country? People of the same religion? culture? people with the same disease or problem?

I accept what the saying 'Charity begins at home' means to you but I feel it is often used to disparage the idea of giving to 'foreign' charities, or as an excuse for not giving at all, meaning 'I'm spending my money all on my family'. My view is it's fine if charity begins at home, and clearly our primary responsibility is to our own family, but it doesn't have to begin and end there.

I'm feeling a bit guilty now for going off the topic of supporting Children in Need, which I totally agree with.

Chris
No Chris me and you have had great discussions in the past

I know how wonderful you are with donations to Charity and I thankyou for all you have done this year xx
I dont always word things well do I

I love the Salvation Army campaign at the moment of give a coat as there are so many old people who cant afford now to keep the heating on all day.
To me thats giving to our own
I buy the Big issue as these people are working.
I mean our own Uk citizens my friends and family if they are in need.
But I do help things like the rain Forest and other charities abroad so Im not all bad But Im so worried about things getting bad here now that money has become such an Issue with so many out of work and thats why I like children in need
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15818289
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 21-11-2011, 19:20

I will happily support Frank's proposition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page