In Memory of our Mum ~ Charity Appeal - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 13:30 Thread Starter

In Memory of our Mum ~ Charity Appeal

Hi All
Many of you will be aware that my mother was brutally killed earlier this year. As I've tried to make sense of this & and comes to terms with our families loss I've come to discover that such events are a horrifically commonplace occurrence.
My brother & I want to try & make something positive come out of this tragedy - so we've set up the following page - please please take the time to look & if you can please make a donation - however small it might just make a difference to somebody's life,

In Memory of our Mum

Thank you all - Kelvyn & Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 17:58

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Good idea to start a separate thread (bump).

Chris
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 19:00

Kelvyn

From Mums everywhere. Thank you. A charity that is often overlooked due to its nature.

I have made a small donation to help you on your target which I'm sure you will reach.

Sonja

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 22:00 Thread Starter

Sonja - the statistics from Women's Aid are horrific - I'm amazed they are not better publicised.
Thank you for your kind donation.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 16:43

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Another relevant organisation that should be better known is the White Ribbon Campaign, which focuses on educating men to take a stand against violence towards women. My friend Chris Green is involved with this. (No, not the Chris Green on MHF)

http://www.whiteribboncampaign.co.uk/

Chris
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 23-06-2010, 18:45 Thread Starter

Hi All,
The initial response has been great. There's been a lot of 'behind the scenes' stuff going on for after the trial date when we'll be free to talk more openly and the fundraising should really kick off.
On a personal basis I've found the running to be cathartic - and I'm actually at a point where it's becoming nearly enjoyable - apart from the aching in a new place everyday.
My brother & I have settled on running the full Langdale Marathon - billed as the hardest road marathon in the world! - Training wise I'm up to 16 miles - but every mile over 13 is agony! - people can follow our progress on facebook & Nike+ for those who want a laugh at our expense! PM me for details.

Once again I'd appeal to to you all to pass this on to those you know who might help - every effort helps,

Thanks
K
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 13-08-2010, 20:12 Thread Starter

Hi All,
Many thanks for the donations that are coming in - & thank you to those that have passed our details on - we're now getting donations from people we don't directly know - & the charity assure me that they are also seeing an increase in visits to their site - so hopefully we're helping someone somewhere.

My brother & I have taken to updating the page quite a bit - hopefully we can also entertain you guys with our endeavours & suffering - so even if you've already donated take a look from time to time & you can follow our progress.

On a lighter note I'm staying in the van for the Marathon - anyone who'd like to come along & support & then join us for a beer (we're hoping to take over the Stickle Tavern!) would be more than welcome - and for the runners out there - there are still places available if you're daft enough....

Updated Page
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 14:10 Thread Starter

Update:

Hi Guys,
Well it's been hectic - the runners out there will know just how many aches, pains & niggles training for the UK's hardest marathon can cause - I seem to hurt somewhere new each week

donations continue to roll in - we're up to £4,000 now - but still a long way behind the race target of £10,000 - so anyone who hasn't donated yet - please take a look - every little donation is appreciated - and those of you who have THANK YOU - but please pass on our details

PLEASE HELP

Highlights so far have been:
The kind words & support from people we don't know
Passing the 500mile mark in training
My brother stopping for chips half way round his first 20mile run (he said he needed the salt!)
Ian & Gaz who've signed up to run the half marathon - giving us some much needed encouragement at least to the half way mark!
The media interest - I know that sounds odd - but apart from during the actual trial they've all been really really positive & helpful - doesn't get said often so thought I would here.

Thanks again
Hope to see some of you soon,

Kelvyn
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 20-09-2010, 17:24 Thread Starter

Verdict

Hi All,
I've just been sending 'Thank You's' for donations & realised that I'd never actually put the outcome of the trial on here.

On July 27th my Mum's husband was found guilty of her murder. The jury took 75 minutes (including the lunch break) to return a unanimous verdict. In his sentencing the judge particularly pointed to the fact that he had lied (changed his story every day of the trial), shown no remorse (I don't think he ever said my Mums name) & took into account the horrific nature of her injuries. He was sentenced to life with no chance of parole for a minimum of 23 years, unusually he was also made to pay the prosecution costs due to the lies he told.

For my family & I this has been an emotional rollercoaster - sitting in the court we heard things that no-one should ever hear, I even felt sorry for the juror's.

It doesn't bring Mum back, but it does restore a little faith in the system. The Police, CPS & Judge were all professional, respectful and very keen to ensure the right result.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-09-2010, 07:27

The good memories will always be there and with time hopefully the bad will fade.

No one can ever know or try to understand what it has been like for you and yours all we can do is thank god it is not happening to us.

Take care
Mandy

Never let anyone take away your dance in this life. They just can´t hear the music you hear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page