In Memory of our Mum ~ Charity Appeal - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:54 Thread Starter

Done, Done, Done!

Well the marathon was last weekend.
My brother & I finished in a very respectable 4hrs30 (t'was the toughest road race in the UK afterall). 700 people did the half, 200 of us set off round again for the full & 138 finished. After doing 2 marathons in 2 weeks I can honestly say never again - but I've already entered the half for next year!
All in all we had a really good day - a large group of friends & family descended on Great Langdale's Stickle Tavern & I like to think we'd have put a smile on my mum's face. Anybody who lives in the North of England / Borders might well have seen the peice ITV did on us - it was a fitting tribute to Mum.
The fundraising is currently just shy of £8k with a lot of sponsorship forms & a couple of large corporate donations to come in - so we're quite confident we'll pass the £10k mark.
Once again thanks to everyone who donated (it's not too late - click the link in my signature ) & who offered advice & training tips along the way,
hope to see some of you soon,
Kelvyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 15:58

Well done Kelvyn

our Mum would be proud

Sonja
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 22:27 Thread Starter

Hi All,
Well next week would have been Mum's birthday - a year on it seems a fitting place to wind up the fundraising efforts.
The 'final' figure raised was just shy of £15,000 - a big big thank you to all of you who helped along the way.
For the future my brother & I will continue to be Ambassadors for Women's Aid - getting to see & be involved in the vital work they do has been fairly life changing.

Once again - thanks to you all for the donations, support & kind thoughts.

Kelvyn

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 00:01

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Congratulations Kelvyn, that's a fantastic achievement!

Women's Aid was life changing for me too. I joined a newly formed local group in Bexley in the mid 70s and we set up and ran two refuges. In supporting the women who contacted us, and in attempting to provide a safe and welcoming space for women and children who needed it, we learnt so much, especially about what we were capable of ourselves. It's probably what led me to go on to higher education as a mature student, and later into social work. I'm sure it can be the same with any group or organisation you get deeply involved with, especially when you've been personally touched by the issues they work on.

Very best wishes to you and your brother

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page