MHF charity - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:16 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Videos like the one below make you wonder how it's possible to help them. there are others where red cross parcels are rejected too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:11

Over the Christmas period we had numerous requests on television from various charities for assistance, some may have reduced you to tears as it did us.

Before donating I took it upon myself to check the accounts of these charities and was completely gobsmacked with their running costs and the amount of money payed to their executives, middle management and staff. Without exception every charity I checked had millions of unused cash in their accounts.

Needless to say I updated my contributions to Julia's House, at least I know where my donations go.

Might I suggest before coming to a conclusion, that whoever takes it upon themselves to volunteer their services as Charity Rep, they check out the accounts of the chosen charity.
aldra and aldra like this.

Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend

I would prefer to say that I am British rather than European.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:
cabby (07-01-2016)
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:39

Just off topic a little, but where some charity money may go.
Have you noticed during the flood TV coverage, how much good salvageable stuff is just been thrown into skips!
Years ago our Grandparents would save everything possible, and this rubs of to some of us. My own family chuck stuff away, and when I see some of it waiting to go to the tip, somehow, some of it ends up in my car and then my garage.
Most of it comes in at some time, probably when I am making something!
cabby and cabby like this.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 17:04

By the way, before anybody says I am showing no compassion or concern for the flood victims. I do feel very sorry for them, and I would not want to be in their position. I just noted some easily salvageable stuff, thrown away!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 17:15

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Same here Garth

My lot regularly update their homes

One time light wood, next time dark wood

Decorating seems to require disposing of everything

I could afford to do the same but

I can't just understand why I'd need to

Our home is comfortable! our furniture familiar

It works for our lifestyle ,we can seat ten around our table, if we downsize then we will need a new table and less chairs, but until that moment we don't

It's such a disposable society nothing seems to have memories or attachment

Same with carpets and rugs

Mine are wool and have lasted for years, theirs seem to need replacing on a constant basis

And when I give them mine they last as long as the latest colour craze

It's a new generation, they change furniture as often as the exchange phones

Sandra
scottie, scottie, cabby and 3 others like this.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 18:19

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Back to topic

No I don't feel we should support "our own" to the exclusion of others undergoing terrible things in their country of origin

I think my problem is I get overwhelmed with the sheer number of worthwhile causes

Locally Macmillian nurses yes, well I would wouldn't I

Christies that does so much for Albert

I also support the RSPCA in Shadows name, but feel less sure about it

I won't cancel my monthly donation but I wonder is this the best way to help animals

Maybe a smaller charity

I've supported loads of charities, in Africa, save the children etc
But maybe one thing I miss is a direct relationship with the charity I support

Some of the big charities are impersonal

Is that a selfish thought??

I know we shouldn't need reward for giving
But maybe we or I need to know our gift means something important to someone

Otherwise why give ?

I want to know what it means

And I want to know it's making a difference

Aldra
scottie and scottie like this.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 18:32

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Being on the "inland" side of charity fundraising, my personal favourite is giving for charities that support AIDS (and other) orphans. The needs, especially in Africa, are so great, I trust there are few welfare executives who would rather line their pockets than look after the kids. If you don't trust corporate fundraisers then why not consider giving via a recognised mainstream church operation.

Some organisationa that I know personally and are totally reliable, moral and do fantastic work are SOS Children's Villages in Namibia and Botswana, Girls and Boys Town in Johannesburg, Cancer Association of South Africa, Johannesburg, and TAFTA (for the aged) in Durban. The agency I am involved with bills the charity with the actual costs incurred and does not handle any donations - they go directly to the charity - and that's the way it should be. Sadly reliable and regular fundraising on any grand scale can't be done without spending money.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 20:32

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Over the Christmas period we had numerous requests on television from various charities for assistance, some may have reduced you to tears as it did us.

Before donating I took it upon myself to check the accounts of these charities and was completely gobsmacked with their running costs and the amount of money payed to their executives, middle management and staff. Without exception every charity I checked had millions of unused cash in their accounts.

Needless to say I updated my contributions to Julia's House, at least I know where my donations go.

Might I suggest before coming to a conclusion, that whoever takes it upon themselves to volunteer their services as Charity Rep, they check out the accounts of the chosen charity.
Its not as simple as that. Decent Charities cannot be run for free. They become like businesses. They are really. One of my biggest clients is a charity but they employ 20 people full time, have a large office, computers (hence my involvement) but rely purely on funding to survive and support their members. They often have huge sums of money in their accounts because they may secure pots of money to pay staff and run the charity for say 2-3 years ahead. I know for a fact that my client secured £3M to pay the costs of running the organisation and filtering that money to those who need the support for three years and this is just a tiny player compared to some of the bigger ones.

Its like any organisation or business. You want it to do well it pays to pay the right people and do it properly.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Last edited by barryd; 06-01-2016 at 20:35.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 22:46

Send a message via Skype™ to scottie
Hi Again
We have had lots of good comments about where the charity monies should go,now,who is raising the monies,as far as I am aware the Lincoln Rally was the only MHF rally to raise funds for charity and that money went to cancer research,that charity looked after me and my brother,and late mother,could go on,cancer is a killer,so I will continue to do my little bit for them.
sorry that is my feelings
The Following User Says Thank You to scottie For This Useful Post:
cabby (07-01-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page