MHF charity - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 22:43

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I would feel happier if we supported a small local charity or hospice. A different one each year or just the one.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 00:16

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
I would feel happier if we supported a small local charity or hospice. A different one each year or just the one.

cabby
Local to who though, given that we don't all live in the same locality?

I think the issue would be actually working out the process of how we decide and who has the last word. I think in the past members suggested charities and others seconded and eventually a shortlist was produced and members voted. Somebody had to be responsible (Nuke) to make that process work and then make a final decision. For example, there might be many ways of drawing up a shortlist and deciding how the 'winner' is chosen, e.g. just one round and the charity with most votes is the winner, or you get to vote again in round two on the top three, etc. I seem to remember it was somewhat contentious, still I suppose that's MHF.

Chris
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:40

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Just do what was done before. Start a thread "What charities would you like to see MHF support"? Run it for a week. If there are loads then put the top 4 or 5 into a poll, run it for a week then the top answer is the winner.

I think we may however get a shock just how few responses there will be compared to the old days.

Its doubtful the winner wont be a worthy cause anyway so there shouldnt be any fall out over it. Maybe we should give it to the Migrants at Calais, that should stir things up a bit.
erneboy and erneboy like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 09:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Just do what was done before. Start a thread "What charities would you like to see MHF support"? Run it for a week. If there are loads then put the top 4 or 5 into a poll, run it for a week then the top answer is the winner.

I think we may however get a shock just how few responses there will be compared to the old days.

Its doubtful the winner wont be a worthy cause anyway so there shouldnt be any fall out over it. Maybe we should give it to the Migrants at Calais, that should stir things up a bit.

I'd support migrants at Calais - it's quite an appropriate cause considering that most of us travel freely through the place. Somehow I can't see the membership voting for it though.

Chris
barryd and barryd like this.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:16

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisandJohn View Post
I'd support migrants at Calais - it's quite an appropriate cause considering that most of us travel freely through the place. Somehow I can't see the membership voting for it though.

Chris
I agree. It could go in the pot and let the members decide. There are many worthy charities of course at home but I for one would help anyone struggling to get a grip on a better life and in a strange way we are all kind of linked with us travelling across Europe and in and out of Calais. The Retired Colonel Blimps might burst a few blood vessels though.
ChrisandJohn and ChrisandJohn like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 18:09

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Of course face to face I'd support them

Face to face I'd support anyone inneed

But at this moment in time with wars waging everywhere

People dispossessed fleeing for life

I couldn't advocate supporting economic migrants

It's not the climate to do so at the moment

We have enough of our own that need supporting in the present economic climate

And of course real refugees need our support

And I've been there, poverty is not the worst thing as long as there is food to eat, and warmth

Bettering life is a second consideration

Aldra
scottie and scottie like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to aldra For This Useful Post:
cabby (05-01-2016)
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 18:20

My Motorhome: Swift KonTiki 669
Personal Aire
As some of you may know I work for Barnardo's and I'd be more than happy to provide any information if you would like to give Barnardo's consideration especially is this is our 150th year
https://www.barnardos.org.uk/

But I'm not just touting for donations, there are very many worthy charities all in need of donations and personally I have a fondness for Macmillan (as well as Barnardo's).

It may be useful to have a nominated "charity of the year" as many large Corporates do rather than a scatter gun approach to many charities as larger sums are always most useful
barryd and barryd like this.

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes, that way you are a mile away and have their shoes too
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 19:10

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
[QUOTE=ChrisandJohn;1830849]I'd support migrants at Calais - it's quite an appropriate cause considering that most of us travel freely through the place. Somehow I can't see the membership voting for it though.

Chris[/QUOTE
I would be careful. The kind thoughts regarding the latest round if economic migrants is not always repaid in like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35237173

In my opinion charity should start nearer to home
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 19:33

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I believe that we should look after those in need at home first.Making our communities stronger and able to help others in need in return, be they from home or overseas.
Those in Calais had to cross more than one country just to get to the promised land. Giving them anything except entrance to the UK will be rejected or scorned. It could even be taken that we have much too much of everything, else why give to us.
Rescuing families from inside a war area to a place of safety and helping to settle them fine, but to house them here when we cannot house our own. Seems daft to me.

cabby

have called a taxi.....
scottie, scottie, aldra and 1 others like this.

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 00:23

I don't understand the oft quoted view that charity should 'start' at home. My most recent charitable donation was to the Calderdale Flood Relief Appeal. Our local communities in Sowerby Bridge, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge and Todmorden have been devastated by the Boxing Day flooding. This area is very much 'home' to me and I consider myself fortunate that I wasn't personally affected, except of course by the fact that many local shops and businesses that I use aren't in business at the moment.

Currently I make regular donations to both Todmorden Food Bank which is very local, and to Action Aid who work all over the world. Even if charity 'starts' at home does it have to stay there?

I don't see the refugees at Calais as economic migrants and I'm not suggesting that we smuggle anyone back here in our motorhome. I just think they are living in appalling conditions and as far as I'm concerned any donations of cash or goods are just about humanitarian relief.

I'm not making any serious suggestions that we make Calais refugees our MHF charity, simply because I know the membership wouldn't support it, but I do challenge the idea we should never (as individuals or as a group) support overseas causes until all our domestic need is met.

http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/news/2016/004.html

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...P=share_btn_fb

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page