Self fit wireless reversing camera system - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 23-08-2020, 17:58 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Self fit wireless reversing camera system

Need to buy and fit a new reversing camera system as our (cheapie) has just about died, I am looking for recommendations for suitable products.

AFAIK our 2003 Swift gas no installed wiring (unless you know better ?) so wireless seems easiest.

BUT I am not keen on driving lots of holes for connectors etc so the simpler the better.

I am in favour of a largish screen, 4.3" is the minimum and reasonable night vision capability.

So suggestions welcomed please.

Over to you......

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 23-08-2020, 18:01

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
My only comment Dave is that when I've read about wireless systems it's usually cos they're considered somewhat unreliable.

But then you've had one for years n considering again so I guess your happy with it.

Jean
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 23-08-2020, 20:26 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Yes we have been, there have only been a couple of times that we have had problems; driving past one specific farmhouse we suddenly got a crystal clear image of their machinery store, so I guess we were on the same wavelength but no problems.

I got one from fleaBay but the wire between the camera and the transmitter is so short that it is useless and impossible to install, I have tried but the wire cannot be lengthened as it would then be too bulky to go through the hole, i can't push it through and then lengthen it as it is inside the bumper and too calming short......

So I have an uninstalled system, works perfectly except no use to me, if anyone wants such a thing to play with, cover the postage and I will be happy to send it.....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 29-08-2020, 09:10

My Motorhome: RS Endeavour
Personal Aire
I don't totally rely on a reversing camera but I have the Falcon wireless one which I use now and again. I link it to my Samsung 8 inch tablet which runs the App "Road Vue" and also hosts my Co-Pilot sat nav and I switch between the two as necessary. The camera is 8 meters away from the tablet and should have been well within the stated range of the camera but initially I wasn't very happy with it. The WiFi link was intermittant and I took it back. It was exchanged without quibble and the replacement did work a little better but was still prone to disconnect. I more or less abandoned it untill one day I tried it with a new tablet and it worked perfectly every time. I put the problems down to trying to use it with an old tablet and an old version of Android. Its been fine ever since and I use it a bit more frequently now and it appears a good set up and when I really need it, it meets my requirements.
peedee

The best journeys are not always in straight lines.
To read about our travels visit >this page< Latest updates 6th March 2019
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 29-08-2020, 09:17 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks to one and all,

In the end I have gone for a wired one, linked to two cameras, one as a dashcam, with recording ability and GPS and the other as a reversing camera. The display is fastened over the rear view mirror, it still retains the mirror function when required.

Have not fitted it yet, I am waiting for the extension cable for the rear view camera to arrive....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page