Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Please don't clutter up 'genuine' threads with waffle

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  erneboy 
#1 ·
I'm not trying to be a moderator here, gods only know we had enough of trying to keep peace on here way back.

There's been a number of new members recently trying to get answers.Very pleasing to see something other than 'off topic' or 'subscribers' lounge' in the latest posts list.

Many of them are complete newbies, others would just like something sorted. Please would some of the 'old school' not fill up their threads with irerelevant stuff or 'banter'?
Just answer the question if you can, or ask for further details which might elicit an answer. If you can't, shut up!

Mike

#2 ·
Crikey Mike, did you get out of bed on the wrong side?!

Not sure if you're referring to me but I often come across posts which have been missed. If I can help, I do but even if I can't I will say something to bring the post to the top of the pile - and very often that's enough for someone who CAN make an intelligent contribution to do so.

#5 ·
Sadly many people are given advice and yet don’t bother to comeback and explain if the problem was sorted or not.

It would be helpful if everyone given such advice did let those who have given advice feedback about what they found. That way ALL of us on here learn and can give, perhaps, slightly different or extensive advice if someone seeks help in the future.

Mike and I long remember how impossible it was to keep the peace - I second him on that.

and no, I have never been an Oxford United fan, that link between us never existed.

#6 ·
I left school in 1965, at that time I stopped answering to authority, so whilst I accept it might have gone a little OTT it does no harm, makes the forum a little more fun and DOES NOT STOP the thread being continued until some info is added, if anything it keeps it in the limelight.

And as said if the one posting came back we would happily continue to help.

Reactions: patp and Webby1
#7 ·
As a newcomer to the site I notice that wafflers waffle no matter what.
I also notice that first timers have a return rate of about 2% on all forums....I imagine the other 98% have posted the same question on so many forums that they simply can't remember where and when.
Is there an smiley for a yawn?:wink2:

#9 ·
As a newcomer to the site I notice that wafflers waffle no matter what.
I also notice that first timers have a return rate of about 2% on all forums....I imagine the other 98% have posted the same question on so many forums that they simply can't remember where and when.
Is there an smiley for a yawn?:wink2:
Ted

"newcomer"? Who are you trying to kid?

Geoff

#8 ·
I like a good waffle, nice with Jam and cream, but which first????

Reactions: patp
#10 ·
My thinking is we have no idea in advance as to who will be a OPW (1-post wonder) and who will stick around and become part of the furniture. I therefore extend a welcome, and help where I can, to everyone.

It doesn't cost anything to be civil and open. However, being crabbit might just persuade a newcomer that this isn't actually the place they'd want to spend their time.

It happened to me on another forum a couple of years ago.

#11 ·
I joined Fun partly because of the name and I happened to drop onto a thread that was way off-topic and the members were having a laugh, I soon found out that it was very cliquey so I came on here and found it was a more serious site but there was fun to be had so I stayed, then I wound down on here to focus on trying to get Owners to be a bit livelier, a task too far for me, and when it started getting weird I stood down, big mistake, but it's done now, and I do look in once in a blue moon.

But I feel if the OP wants answers they will come back and see, but most I think go to other forums and bye-bye or they figure it out, but still bye-bye, we're not so far up our own backsides on here that we can't have a bit of fun, if we are I won't be here for long.

Forums that don't allow off topic don't seem to last very long.

#13 ·
I am on a self building forum. As you can imagine with builders it does get a bit lively at times but it is easy to just bring it back to topic by re phrasing the original question or saying something like - "back to the topic....."
Jean, I have witnessed your Irish welcome several times to newcomers :)
That´s pretty good seeings she´s Scottish :grin2:

#19 ·
I tend to shake as we meet and again when we depart if the intervening time was pleasant, don't see a problem as I sanitize often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.