Updated Smartphone View on the Site - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 18-03-2015, 16:15 Thread Starter
Colonial

Personal Aire
Updated Smartphone View on the Site

Hello all,

I just wanted to give you all a heads up that we are launching a revised “Enhanced Mobile View” for MotorhomeFacts today.

This is a relatively new product that we have developed in house and we need your help using it and providing detailed feedback. We are making constant improvement so your voices will be heard if you provide DETAILED feedback.

Things you should know about the Enhanced Mobile View:
- You can exit out of it very quickly if you prefer the full site in your browser
o Just tap the “hamburger” icon in the upper right for the slide out and choose “Exit Enhanced Mobile View”
o This will default you back to the full site for 30 days
 You will get prompted to try it again on your next visit only.
• If you cancel this prompt you will not hear anything for 30 days
- The Enhanced Mobile View provides an Application-like experience in your mobile browser without the need to download or install anything.
- This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
- You can choose a dark theme but clicking the three dots (Overflow Menu) in the upper right corner:
o Then choose settings > Theme > Dark
- It is formatted to exactly fit your device screen
- You are able to customize font size, number of items shown per page, and more through the settings functionality noted above.
- View forum content, create topics, post replies, edit posts, quote and multi-quote, read and send private messages.

If you have any feedback, bugs, or issues please respond with the following info otherwise we can do nothing to help you if you do not provide details:
- Device and Version (iPhone 5s, Samsung Galaxy S4)
- Operating System Version (iOS 8.3, Android 4.2, etc..)
- Browser Software (Chrome, Safari, Samsung “Internet”
- Any screen shots or links
- Detailed description of how you got the error or steps to recreate
- Detailed feedback on what you would prefer to see

Any comments without constructive or detailed feedback and or questions will not be addressed.

Please take the time to give it a try and let us know what you think

Thanks in advance,

Kay

Admin
Vertical Scope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 18-03-2015, 16:42 Thread Starter
Colonial

Personal Aire
Here's a few screenshots I took of the basic functions.

The first one is the main forum menu that slides out with the three horizontal lines in the top left corner. Once you sign in, more options will be made available to you.

The second one is for accessing the site settings and posting a reply. The third screenshot shows you where the submit button is along with the attachment button.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

Thank you!

~Kay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-03-18-11-24-55.jpg (125.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-03-18-11-27-42.jpg (213.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-03-18-11-27-49.jpg (55.3 KB, 42 views)
aldra and aldra like this.

Admin
Vertical Scope
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 18-03-2015, 18:16

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Hi, I was taken aback to find this new version when I tapped my usual shortcut.

First impressions are that it looks very clean, probably uses much more data than the original mini version, judging by how long it takes to load, but I need to check that.

BUT... The Reply button at the bottom of the post goes nowhere. I had to exit the app to post this.

I'm using:
Samsung galaxy s3 mini
Android 4.1.2
Browser Chrome

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 18-03-2015, 18:51 Thread Starter
Colonial

Personal Aire
The reply option seems to work on my nexus 5. I'll let the mobile team know about this as it may be a compatibility issue with your model or operating system.

Thank you for the informative feedback and for giving it a try!

Kay
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 18-03-2015, 20:47

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWW View Post
Hi, I was taken aback to find this new version when I tapped my usual shortcut.

First impressions are that it looks very clean, probably uses much more data than the original mini version, judging by how long it takes to load, but I need to check that.

BUT... The Reply button at the bottom of the post goes nowhere. I had to exit the app to post this.

I'm using:
Samsung galaxy s3 mini
Android 4.1.2
Browser Chrome
Reply button works for me, using:

Motorola Moto G (1st Generation)
Android 5.0.1
Browser - native

Colin

No longer motorhoming due to illness, but always prepared to help by sharing any experience I may have.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 18-03-2015, 21:26 Thread Starter
Colonial

Personal Aire
Glad to hear that it's working for you! There's so many variations of mobile devices, operating systems and browsers that a bug may pop up here and there for a specific combination. When this does happen, we're quick to send it over to the tech team.

Besides being able to post, what do you think of the mobile view so far?

~Kay

Admin
Vertical Scope
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 18-03-2015, 23:16

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS_Admin View Post
Glad to hear that it's working for you! There's so many variations of mobile devices, operating systems and browsers that a bug may pop up here and there for a specific combination. When this does happen, we're quick to send it over to the tech team.

Besides being able to post, what do you think of the mobile view so far?

~Kay
I am going to devote time tomorrow going thru it in detail - I am housebound and so have plenty of time.

Colin

No longer motorhoming due to illness, but always prepared to help by sharing any experience I may have.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 19-03-2015, 00:11

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,074 Times in 933 Posts
Personal Aire
I am not getting anything like those images Jeff.

iPhone 4 gs OS 8.1.2

Safari all I get is the header page, no menus and a list of a few forums below and nothing to click on apart form the forums.

Opera Mini which is my preferred browser when out and about I am still getting the original new mobile version with the black buttons and can access everything but its not the very new version you have posted the images of.

Key thing for me and many others is the amount of data used. Thats one reason I use Opera mini browser as it compresses by up to 90% but its no good if its going to use loads of bandwidth as we spend so much time abroad where at the moment data charges are high and also signal is often GPRS / 2G. The old Black and white mobile version was brilliant for this. Basic but really quick and low bandwidth. Here. Still works but nobody sees it. https://www.motorhomefacts.com/mo/menu.php?type=html

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 19-03-2015, 15:03 Thread Starter
Colonial

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I am not getting anything like those images Jeff.

iPhone 4 gs OS 8.1.2

Safari all I get is the header page, no menus and a list of a few forums below and nothing to click on apart form the forums.

Opera Mini which is my preferred browser when out and about I am still getting the original new mobile version with the black buttons and can access everything but its not the very new version you have posted the images of.

Key thing for me and many others is the amount of data used. Thats one reason I use Opera mini browser as it compresses by up to 90% but its no good if its going to use loads of bandwidth as we spend so much time abroad where at the moment data charges are high and also signal is often GPRS / 2G. The old Black and white mobile version was brilliant for this. Basic but really quick and low bandwidth. Here. Still works but nobody sees it. https://www.motorhomefacts.com/mo/menu.php?type=html
Is the slide out menu (three horizontal lines) completely missing on your Safari screen?

The mobile view is supposed to use less data than the desktop view but I'm not sure if it's comparable to the black and white text format you have linked us to as there are more bells and whistles on both the desktop and newer mobile view.

~Kay

Admin
Vertical Scope
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 09:31

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
I can't get it either. I am using an iPhone 4s. On the latest IOS. I am away from my PC and want to be able to attach an image to a post which I can't seem to do with the normal site as I can't drag and drop on a smartphone! Unless someone knows different.

Perhaps you should have the ability to enter and leave the mobile app at will depending on if u are using a PC or smartphone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page