Damon Daybreak lpg tank mount failure check yours please. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 16:45 Thread Starter

Damon Daybreak lpg tank mount failure check yours please.

Hi there

Just a quick of piece of advice to those of you out there with a Damon 2740.
Check the welded mounts on the outrigger part of the chassis where the lpg tank is suspended from, mine cracked, split and essentially failed resulting in the tank breaking away down the A1!!! The tank itself only held on to the RV by the pipe work and approx 10mm of the bracket! Be warned this could have been a potential lethal failure as the tank was dragged 100m before we could stop. If it had let go it probably would have gone under the rear wheels and flipped us over.
Its been sorted now, sort of, still having problems. More worrying is the fact that the two companies Damon and Mantanks would not help.

Anyway, just stick your head right under when you next refill and check the outrigger and the brackets on the tank. It could not only save you money but your life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:35
des

hi doodle

this naturally caught my eye! what year/model is your daybreak?

des
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 13:06 Thread Starter

Hi Des

Its a Daybreak 2740 and made in 2000. I don't know if its a common fault as the guy I took it to for repair said that he had seen others with similar stress cracks near the welds on the outrigger, but not to the extent that mine had cracked. The fractures allow the panel (to which the supporting brackets are welded to) to move to and fro with the movement of the lpg in the tank, which when combined with the weight of the tank caused the condition to worsen whereupon the brackets on the actual tank fractured at their welds.
The mounts seem totally inadequate but Damon in the US refused to help with costs to repair. Customer service in the UK just did'nt answer after I contacted them.
I don't think all Damons have their tanks mounted in the same way but better to be safe than sorry, the company who fitted my new tank has yet to come up trumps as their mounting has broken twice!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for long winded answer but sometimes just need to vent off! :evil:

I've got some pics if anyones interested!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:53
des

hi again

thanks for the info.

wll check out next time away.

des

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page