Rv driving help - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 15:11 Thread Starter

Rv driving help

At the risk of sounding like a big girls blouse, how hard is it to drive a 30 some foot Rv around Europe.

I have a friend who's traveled around europe in a motorhome, said it would be almost impossible as the kind of approach roads around camp sites are so small. I just don't know if he's right or a sissy where a big rig is concerned.

What kind of practical problems do drivers of Rvs face,? Is it easy to find sites to take em?
Our plan is to live in one for a couple of years and I don't fancy some euro box, a man needs room! right.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 15:24

Hi Phil-Hazel

Have you read "How Katie Pulled Boris"? Written by forum member SuperK, it's a tale of driving an RV (towing a car) through France and Spain.

Available from Outdoor Bits as an ebook only - >> HERE <<

Gerald

Edit: Sorry - WELCOME TO THE FORUM

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 15:29

I have done France and Spain in a RV with no proplems.

A few Aires were too small and campsites with lots of shade with overhanging trees were a pain, but if you stop and look before entering you will soon get the hang of it. if you use a tom tom and the road looks unsuitable don't turn into it.

My worst experience was they had to take down hanging baskets in a French village to let me through, they only shook their fists they didn't kill me

Loddy

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 15:48

rv

hi we have done austria belgium france germany in 34ft winnie and only twice been told no room for this size but have always managed fine. roads are not a problem as long as you use common sense and stick to main roads. happy motoring. kev
p.s also spain
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 16:06

Welcome to the forum..

Calling a large amount of the members motorhomes
"euro box's" might not be the best way to make friends and influence
people..

just a thought....
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 16:29

No point in me replying as I only have experience of a 29 foot "Euro Box"

Seriously though if you pick your sites carefully you will have no problems. iF you want to use Aires you will have to look for the ones that can take big vans and again you should be ok.

It is the 3.5 Ton weight limits that will cause you some problems as you can not get into some of the smaller villages you have to use the bypass.

Richard...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 16:37

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Re: Rv driving help

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-hazel
At the risk of sounding like a big girls blouse, how hard is it to drive a 30 some foot Rv around Europe.

I have a friend who's traveled around europe in a motorhome, said it would be almost impossible as the kind of approach roads around camp sites are so small. I just don't know if he's right or a sissy where a big rig is concerned.

What kind of practical problems do drivers of Rvs face,? Is it easy to find sites to take em?
Our plan is to live in one for a couple of years and I don't fancy some euro box, a man needs room! right.
Hi Phil n Hazel.
We used many RVs up to 39ft. mostly in France and occasionally Spain. Never found any real problems as we always towed a car. As a previous poster says take a look round the site before taking the rig in and you will be fine.

I personally like the challenge of piloting 39ft plus car around French villages. Only got stuck a couple of times but enjoy relating those times now.

OK the odd 'air' will be difficult but most will have a grassy bit you can back over and a 30ft Winny has an enormous hangover.

I also didn't want a Euro Shed but needs must.......!!!
Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 16:39

My motorhome was 9 tonne but the height was always the problem at 3.7 meters. Fuel station canopies are normally 3.5 but don't believe what you read in France

Loddy
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by loddy
My motorhome was 9 tonne but the height was always the problem at 3.7 meters. Fuel station canopies are normally 3.5 but don't believe what you read in France

Loddy
Would agree. We are 39ft including trailor and the biggest problem we see for the biggies is the sun canopies which are typically 3.4m high. Width is sometimes an issue because access road are usually geared up for Euroboxes.
Most of the RVs we have come accross drive ahead to survey sites which rather takes the impromptu element out and requires some sort of alternative transport.
For my money, if you are a tourer moving on every few days then the RVs are a pain but if you are a stayer for a month or so then they have their benefits.
Patrick
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 17:18

Location: Brimington, Chesterfield, Derbyshire and Acharavi, Greece
My Motorhome: Chausson Flash 08 (Fiat Ducato)
Driven all around Europe, First year at 42feet no problems, Second year down graded a bit to 39 feet and still no problems, stayed with that for three years then again downgraded to 28 feet still no problems, stayed with those sizes up and down for 20 + years.

What I will suggest is that you check site for large vehicle access to pitches, we stayed on one once at Venice and it was a bit tight between pitches but that is the only time we had a problem.

You need to watch the Alps roads if you go off motorways as some can be a bit tight and if not used to large vehicles a bit daunting, you can get rock overhangs that if unseen will take your top off.

Just watch all round and get used to mirrors, Easy.

I am here for a Good Time..........But not for a Long Time.

If You can't laugh and smile.........Life isn't worth Living.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page