Rv driving help - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-01-2010, 09:59

Send a message via AIM to peaky
so when i eventually buy a 26ft winnebago sightseer it will be a breeze then ??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-01-2010, 11:37

Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaky
so when i eventually buy a 26ft winnebago sightseer it will be a breeze then ??????
Not Quite!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-01-2010, 15:49

Send a message via AIM to peaky
awwwwww one an dream cant one ???

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 18:53

Send a message via MSN to oldarapaho
Hello, I also have a 'Euro Shed'. But it is quite larger then the average shed. Its only 32 foot long and 44 foot long when towing our car behind.

We have had a few problems in austria and the alps, with aires being too small aswell as campsites. But if you get into the rythem of parking up and getting out the vehicle and looking at the site then you will be fine.

Allways phone up the campsites prior to arriving as well.

Happy Touring!
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 20:25

Send a message via MSN to MicknPat
Hi Phil & Hazel,

We returned to the UK in Aug last year with a 39ft RV which using an A frame we tow a Jeep Liberty ( UK 2008 Jeep Cherokee) after a few months to sort out family matters we intend to visit Spain.

To keep my blood pressure down and stop my hair getting any greyer we invested in both the UK & Europe versions of the Big Pitch Guide

Now French aires have been mentioned and fellow MHF member Olley together with another RV owner have produced a Google map of BOTH RV friendly aires as well as LPG stations which is a great help.

The benefit of ANY map location given as a Google map is that you can zoom in change it to satellite view and view the aire and its access

I have also added POI bridge heights,weights and road widths to my Tom Tom.

Mick
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicknPat
Hi Phil & Hazel,

We returned to the UK in Aug last year with a 39ft RV which using an A frame we tow a Jeep Liberty ( UK 2008 Jeep Cherokee) after a few months to sort out family matters we intend to visit Spain.

To keep my blood pressure down and stop my hair getting any greyer we invested in both the UK & Europe versions of the Big Pitch Guide

Now French aires have been mentioned and fellow MHF member Olley together with another RV owner have produced a Google map of BOTH RV friendly aires as well as LPG stations which is a great help.

The benefit of ANY map location given as a Google map is that you can zoom in change it to satellite view and view the aire and its access

I have also added POI bridge heights,weights and road widths to my Tom Tom.

Mick
Can you give us a link to Olley's map?
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 20:02

My Motorhome: Four Winds Hurricane 31H
We've spent almost eight months in our 33' Four Winds Hurricane this year, including an unbroken stretch of almost six months in France and Italy.

It's our first motorhome, bought at the end of August last year. At 2.5m wide (almost 3m mirror to mirror) learning to drive it was the steepest of learning curves, but it soon becomes second nature.

The ACSI book is invaluable. We routinely look for ACSI campsites that in the key to their facilities claim 'Suitable for caravans >8m' and ring around a shortlist of these to make sure of easy access and pitch size. We never failed to find a suitable site in a region we fancied. Aires are another matter, but usually because we didn't get there early enough in the day and spaces were taken.

Our biggest challenge is finding suitable petrol/LPG stations which, usually, are designed for cars instead of trucks. It's always possible to reverse out, the way you came in, but it's a pain in the ar*e unhitching the toad, if this becomes necessary. LPG is available at almost every other fuelling point in France and Italy, but, I understand, they're thin on the ground in Spain.

Don't worry about emptying grey and black tanks. Almost every French town has a *hit stop, as do many of the rest stops on autoroutes. I bought a macerator capable of pumping liquified sewage for 30m. It's still in it's box, unused.

As has been said by others, buy an RV with slides for a walk around bed and the extra space. I don't see the point of an RV without.

Sorry to go on, but I'm an RV enthusiast and happy to share my limited experience. PM me if there's anything specific you think I can help with.

mango
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 20:46

Personal Aire
For a few years I drove a bus around Europe which was an absolute joy. Steering was lighter, mirrors better, brakes can be an interesting feature where on occasions European hills are more 'interesting' than British hills. The only limitations tended to be the 3.5 ton restriction on some roads but the large Camions are catered for, so no real problem there. Even parking, with a bit of imagination on your behalf becomes readily available.
I would love to go back to a larger vehicle but at home I could not park it and the extra cost of fuel may inhibit my pleasure.
Go for it and enjoy all!
alan
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 20:47

Personal Aire
For a few years I drove a bus around Europe which was an absolute joy. Steering was lighter, mirrors better, brakes can be an interesting feature where on occasions European hills are more 'interesting' than British hills. The only limitations tended to be the 3.5 ton restriction on some roads but the large Camions are catered for, so no real problem there. Even parking, with a bit of imagination on your behalf becomes readily available.
I would love to go back to a larger vehicle but at home I could not park it and the extra cost of fuel may inhibit my pleasure.
Go for it and enjoy all!
alan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page