Engine Cuts Out on M25 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:06 Thread Starter

Engine Cuts Out on M25

Returning from a great weekend in Canterbury yesterday we had a scary moment in our Ford Transit Autosleeper (2004 Transit Mk 6 diesel / Durashift gearbox). At about 65 mph in the middle lane the engine cut out with no warning.

I managed to coast onto the hard shoulder, and tried to re-start the engine. Nothing.

Phoned RAC. The engine started no problem

RAC man checked over, found nothing and then followed us for about 20 miles. All was OK. We got home to Leicestershire with no more problems.

The RAC man had never had this problem before. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS I would like to sort it before it happens again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:20

Try this

Ford Transit MK6 engine problems (suspect fuel pump) - Used Car Forums 2 posts - Last post: 11 Sep 2005
Ford Transit MK6 engine problems (suspect fuel pump) Ask the mechanic. ... frist gear went into second and the engine cut out , it asnt started since. ... in the manual it says there is a automatic fuel cut off switch (it shows it ... Join Date: Sep 2005. Default diesel pump - 09-28-2005, 04:27 PM ...
http://www.usedcarmart.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=5291 - Cached - Similar

Dave p

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:30

It is possibly air in the fuel injection system.

We had this exact problem with our diesel car and we had to have the fuel tank pump replaced as it was not delivering fuel to the engine fuel pump reliably, and would only "work" if the tank was above half full. For some reason, this allowed air to get into the injection system which immediately cuts the engine.

When you restart, it's as if you've changed a fuel filter, and the automatic bleeding system gets rid of the air and the engine is happy.

It looks then as though you've imagined it!

Where the air comes from I'm not sure. If the fuel system is not being supplied under pressure from the fuel tank, I think it sucks it through and this may be what causes the air to be drawn in.

Hope this helps,
Peter (on Marilyn's computer)

p.s. If you look under the bonnet, the fuel delivery line is plastic and you may be able to see air bubbles in the line. This would give you a clear indication of the problem.

Edit to correct imaged to imagined!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:48

I would be inclined to look (or have someone look) at the engine immobiliser system. The renault Megane or Scenic was susceptable to this and a switch off of the ignition switch and a switch on would always reset it. (don't attempt it whilst still coasting as you'll lock the steering midway through.)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:59

My Motorhome: Gone now, flogged it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallytrafic
I would be inclined to look (or have someone look) at the engine immobiliser system. The renault Megane or Scenic was susceptable to this and a switch off of the ignition switch and a switch on would always reset it. (don't attempt it whilst still coasting as you'll lock the steering midway through.)
Frank, switching the ignition off & on whilst coasting willNOT cause the steering to lock. I have had to do this many, many times on my Alhambra. (long story). What causes the steering to lock is REMOVING the key. Just switching off will never cause the steering to lock, so just switch off & on again whilst coasting to reset the ECU.
This is a popular misconception which I believe adds to the problem of "runaway" vehicles where drivers are frightened to switch off the ignition for fear of locking the steering.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmbeedee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallytrafic
Frank, switching the ignition off & on whilst coasting willNOT cause the steering to lock. I have had to do this many, many times on my Alhambra. (long story). What causes the steering to lock is REMOVING the key. Just switching off will never cause the steering to lock, so just switch off & on again whilst coasting to reset the ECU.
This is a popular misconception which I believe adds to the problem of "runaway" vehicles where drivers are frightened to switch off the ignition for fear of locking the steering.
It may not lock the steering but it will effect the power steering which could be off putting to some if their not ready for it

Is it not possible for the RAC to check the fault codes in the engine management to narrow down the fault

Alan H
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:31

Ford Autosleeper Amethyst help needed

We purchased our lovely Amethyst 9 weeks ago, we have only enjoyed one weekend in it since then. 6 weeks ago we were travelling along when it just cut out, got the AA out and they thought it was air in the system, got us going again. The following weekend it would not start, got the AA again , they couldn't get it going so they ttook it back to where we purchased it from, for the last 6 weeks it has been there, they have told us it's the fuel pump, then it was the relays, then it was the timing, now it's back to the fuel pump, it has also been to the Ford garage wh are now saying it is the fuel pump again. Up to now it is still not running and we still don't have out camper, we have had to cancel two weekends away and a trip to Ireland, we are due to go to the show at Peterborough next week bu it looks unlikely. We have asked to swap for a similar van but they want 3000 more for it. I don't know what to do as the dealer says that they only have a duty to fix the problem, as per the warranty, what can I do ....... ????
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:46

Send a message via AIM to tony645
If its the imobiliser there should be a little red dot light on the dash that comes on when you turn the ignition on, when you then turn the key to start will go off, if you turn the key to start position and the mileometre reading goes off and you just get flashing lines then its definitely the imobiliser giving trouble which operates by turning the fuel pump off.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:59

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
You can reject the vehicle as unfit for its purpose and demand a refund. You had only 3 weeks' use and the dealer has had the van for 6 weeks which is ample time to repair it. Have a look at this article here from Which. You need to move quickly on this and seek CAB advice if the dealer refuses your request.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:05

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Re: Ford Autosleeper Amethyst help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppet1959
I don't know what to do as the dealer says that they only have a duty to fix the problem, as per the warranty, what can I do ....... ????
Tell him to fix it then. Who is the dealer? To talk about " only having a duty to fix the problem" when obviously they havn't is a bit cheeky.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page