Removing a Transit battery - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 2 Post By gaspode

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 19:37 Thread Starter

Removing a Transit battery

We have a Eura Mobile Profila 580A [2007 Transit] with a 100 watt solar panel installed just before Brownshills went into administration. So when it did not work we paid Brownshills Mk2 to sort it out. Our leisure battery are now always charged but the starter battery still goes flat after 2-3 weeks [an improvement]. I put this down to the demands of the alarm system.

Today our plan was to remove and then re-charge the battery from its position under the drivers seat. However, I am amazed to discover that this appears to be a difficult and very fiddly job. The instructions in the handbook appear to relate to a different set-up and have nothing in come with our vehicle something about removing a safety pin and sliding a cover.

We would value any suggestions on how to simply remove the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 19:53

We have swivel seats on our MK7 transit so it is even more difficult.

But if you have not got swivels fitted can you not get at the battery by sliding the seat as far forward as it will go?

If this does not work you will need to take the seat of. Which is not that big of a job but the seat is quiet heavy.

You need to take of the plastic trim around the base of the seat and then undo the for seat fixings, it will then lift off (be warned it will be heavy)

Your best bet might be to get a battery master fitted, which will keep the cab battery charged from your solar.

Richard...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 31-01-2009, 20:02

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Fitting a VanBitz Battery Master might well remove the need to take out the battery, I fitted one to our Kontiki today - the leisure battery is under the driver's seat in that and that seat had to be removed to replace it.

Fitting a Battery Master is very simple (even for me), you can follow the steps I took by looking at this topic;

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopict-59289-.html

It is actually only 3 wires to connect and it is designed for precisely what you have said. You can buy direct from Outdoor Bits or other places - well worth looking at and cheaper than replacing batteries may have been damaged by going flat.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 22:06 Thread Starter

Battery Master

Thanks for the great advice. I plan to order a Battery Master. I wish had the sense to ask this question before!!

Even worked out how to take the battery out without taking the seat off. Somewhat bizarre its not covered in the Ford handbook. Again many thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 22:22

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
I'm always puzzled as to why people buy a Battery Master when they can simply follow the good advice from Clive:
http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/BRIDGING%20FUSE.htm
raynipper and raynipper like this.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 09:00

If the Mk7 Transit is the same as the MK6 you do not have to remove the seat to gain access to the vehicle battery. You simply move the seat forward as far as it will go, slide forward the plastic cover and the vehicle battery is at the rear. You do have to remove the seat as described for the leisure battery.

Why can't you charge the battery in situ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-01-2017, 10:50

My Motorhome: I drive...
battery removel

how do you remove the battery on a 12 plate transit with swivel seats
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 23-01-2017, 14:00

My Motorhome: Hymer exsis-i 562 (Ford)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
how do you remove the battery on a 12 plate transit with swivel seats
With great difficulty. On my 13 reg. Hymer there are approx. 12/13 silver set screws (socket head) to be removed. Some are vertical, some are horizontal. Even worse is replacing the seat, some of the threaded holes the screws go in are on brackets that move. I found I needed a screwdriver to lever some into position. You may be able to tilt and rest the seat against the
dashboard once all the screws are out. I consider the seat to be a two man lift.

WARNING!!!! the wiring for the airbag light is cable tied to the bottom of the seat.

Best of luck

Malcolm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page