Engine prob....again - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 08:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: None anymore
Engine prob....again

After my last problem, the mechanic diagnosed turbo failure.
3000 euros later I get it back and leave on my hols.
Done 2000 km since it was fixed without any hassle.
Yesterday, after 150 km on the motorway I felt loss of power. Pulled off the motorway and the engine died when I changed down to second gear. Well it didn't stop, but I couldn't get it to no more than idle. After repeated tries and I finally got it to hobble along at about 10k hour . Hobbled to nearest campsite and parked up.
Now searching for a garage....meanwhile ...,anyone any suggestions???
Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 09:44

Is there a chance you have put petrol in by mistake ? Are there clouds of smoke when you rev it , is it black or white.?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 10:23 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchibald View Post
Is there a chance you have put petrol in by mistake ? Are there clouds of smoke when you rev it , is it black or white.?
Don't think so....I was almost out at the last fill. It was an automatic filling station and I remember pushing the button for gazelle.
I did 150 k after that fill. Surely wrong fuel would have shown up earlier than that.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 10:33

Only mention it because like you also hed turbo replaced and 1000miles later same sort of thing as you and thought , oh no.. To this day I still say that I used the diesel pump but when we took off the filter bowl it was full of petrol ( had driven about 60 miles before I noticed engine not picking back up properly after slowing down for bends, and I was able to drive a further 40miles to a campsite after that)) Just thought I'd mention it, but I think changing the fuel filter would be one of the first points of elimination in determining what's wrong anyway.

Last edited by Gretchibald; 21-08-2017 at 10:38.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gretchibald For This Useful Post:
Garcia (21-08-2017)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 10:44

My Motorhome: Hymer B544SL
I had a problem with my previous 2.8JTD engined van when a fault developed in the fly by wire accelerator. Died on me like yours, recovered a little while afterwards but intermittent problems until replaced.

Hope it's a simple fix whatever the problem is.
nidge1 and nidge1 like this.

When you expect nothing everything is a gift
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 12:10 Thread Starter

Quote:
Only mention it because like you also hed turbo replaced and 1000miles later same sort of thing as you and thought , oh no.. To this day I still say that I used the diesel pump but when we took off the filter bowl it was full of petrol ( had driven about 60 miles before I noticed engine not picking back up properly after slowing down for bends, and I was able to drive a further 40miles to a campsite after that)) Just thought I'd mention it, but I think changing the fuel filter would be one of the first points of elimination in determining what's wrong anyway.
Interesting.....
Tho I do remember complaining to the wife that I'd got diesel on my hands and they were dirty and smelly....sure it was diesel.....BUT ,maybe it was bad diesel.
Gonna have to give it a go tomorrow and see if it works. If it stops on me I'll just have to get the breakdown people.
Tho what I then do with the wife and two dogs is another question...
Ho hum........the joys of motorhoming!
Garcia
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 12:55

I hope it is contaminated fuel , petrol or water or blocked filter as that's an easy fix but it could be one of many things, I know how worrying it is.
Good luck .
Alan.

ps On my 2.8 the fuel filter is tucked away almost below the dash on the passenger side behind the air filter which you need to remove inc the housing to access the fuel filter housing.- and move a big shrouded box containing fuses etc to one side.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 14:33

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
I hope it is contaminated fuel , petrol or water or blocked filter as that's an easy fix but it could be one of many things, I know how worrying it is.
Good luck .
Alan.

ps On my 2.8 the fuel filter is tucked away almost below the dash on the passenger side behind the air filter which you need to remove inc the housing to access the fuel filter housing.- and move a big shrouded box containing fuses etc to one side.
Our Arto is not here for me to see what you are saying.

I have trusted our garage that they have changed it when instructed, but now wonder, because the bill does not seem to reflect the agro.

Actually I do trust them and the low cost is probably because Poland is cheaper - and they are not rip-off merchants. Also same garage for 5 years, so it would have clogged by now.

Geoff
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 14:54

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Just a suggestion. Try disconnecting the starter battery for a few minutes then reconnect. This will reboot the engine management computer if there has been any fault on that side of things.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 15:00

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacerunner View Post
Just a suggestion. Try disconnecting the starter battery for a few minutes then reconnect. This will reboot the engine management computer if there has been any fault on that side of things.
Not against the idea, but just check you have the radio reset code.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page