Engine prob....again - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 15:02

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
After my last problem, the mechanic diagnosed turbo failure.
3000 euros later I get it back and leave on my hols.
Done 2000 km since it was fixed without any hassle.
Yesterday, after 150 km on the motorway I felt loss of power. Pulled off the motorway and the engine died when I changed down to second gear. Well it didn't stop, but I couldn't get it to no more than idle. After repeated tries and I finally got it to hobble along at about 10k hour . Hobbled to nearest campsite and parked up.
Now searching for a garage....meanwhile ...,anyone any suggestions???
Garcia
Does the problem clear when you turn off the ignition and start up again?

I'd a similar problem on my last trip - was a 'stuck' turbo. 300 euro later I was fixed.

But prior to that a mechanic had told me (mine was a Ford Duratorq) that it needed to be run at 3-3.5k revs for 20-30 mins in 3rd or 4th gear - and every 2-300km (I think). Otherwise he said the turbo clogged up.

Hope you get sorted.

Jean
The Following User Says Thank You to jiwawa For This Useful Post:
alanedwin (21-08-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 15:02

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacerunner View Post
Just a suggestion. Try disconnecting the starter battery for a few minutes then reconnect. This will reboot the engine management computer if there has been any fault on that side of things.
Not against the idea, but just check you have the radio reset code. If not 'jump' an alterative supply from the leisure batteries to the radio before disconnecting engine battery.

Geoff
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 21-08-2017, 21:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Our Arto is not here for me to see what you are saying.

I have trusted our garage that they have changed it when instructed, but now wonder, because the bill does not seem to reflect the agro.

Actually I do trust them and the low cost is probably because Poland is cheaper - and they are not rip-off merchants. Also same garage for 5 years, so it would have clogged by now.

Geoff
Geoff, An hour or two would change the air filter, fuel filter, oil & oil filter once you know how but fault finding is open ended.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gretchibald For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (22-08-2017)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-08-2017, 10:14

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Quote:
Not against the idea, but just check you have the radio reset code. If not 'jump' an alterative supply from the leisure batteries to the radio before disconnecting engine battery.

Geoff
Hasn't affected my radio after the several times I've had to do a reboot. I think the radio thing might only be a problem if you actually remove the radio from the vehicle. Besides music come a long way down the list when you're broken down a couple of thousand miles from home.
nicholsong and nicholsong like this.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-08-2017, 17:00

Turbo hose gone loose and popped off? Instant no power but will run sort of.

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to.

Burstner Nexxo T660
The Following User Says Thank You to Sprinta For This Useful Post:
Garcia (22-08-2017)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-08-2017, 17:30 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: None anymore
Well we had a good day today....couldn't find a local garage to where we were , so found a few on the internet....headed off this morning but the engine felt ok....so I said to her...if it's going , we keep going....
Did more than 500 k. Only once did I lose all power trying to overtake a line of lorries on the motorway.....don't normally do 500k
But, I said to her I'm not stopping if it's going ....well I had to stop cos I was knackered by the afternoon....but interesting....
Sure in myself it's a prob with the turbo.
Spoke to my mechanic...on the phone .....he assures me he fitted genuine Ford parts and that there is no reason for this, but he'll look at it , if / when we get home.....
Ho hum.......
G
Drew, Drew, nicholsong and 3 others like this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 22-08-2017, 18:24

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Well we had a good day today....couldn't find a local garage to where we were , so found a few on the internet....headed off this morning but the engine felt ok....so I said to her...if it's going , we keep going....
Did more than 500 k. Only once did I lose all power trying to overtake a line of lorries on the motorway.....don't normally do 500k
But, I said to her I'm not stopping if it's going ....well I had to stop cos I was knackered by the afternoon....but interesting....
Sure in myself it's a prob with the turbo.
Spoke to my mechanic...on the phone .....he assures me he fitted genuine Ford parts and that there is no reason for this, but he'll look at it , if / when we get home.....
Ho hum.......
G
Glad you are on your way.

I am no expert but I doubt that the problem was mechanical - more likely electronic. Maybe engine control system just reset itself.

For peace of mind you could drop into a workshop and get them to do a diagnostics check.

Hope all goes well.

Geoff
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-08-2017, 07:57 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: None anymore
Quote:
Glad you are on your way.

I am no expert but I doubt that the problem was mechanical - more likely electronic. Maybe engine control system just reset itself.

For peace of mind you could drop into a workshop and get them to do a diagnostics check.

Hope all goes well.

Geoff
I did ask one garage to do that diagnostics check and he said come back in 3 weeks.....all other garages are on holiday and I'm overrun .....can't do it!!!
I will try again if I have the prob again.
G
nicholsong and nicholsong like this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 23-08-2017, 09:40

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi

so please do here that it is not to bad

nothing worse than a fault in the back of your mind

at least it is able to be worked around

my engine battery went flat this weekend at the showground started with a jump then engine light on for a while on the way home

funny i picked up new hab batteries on the way to the show and did not think to look at the engine battery but that is on order now

so sure light will be one again when i change the engine battery but at least it goes off after a while when driving

have fun

barry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page