Engine Malfunction message - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 15-07-2016, 16:43 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Thanks for the advice pippin.

It's happened to me 3 times in the last few days. Twice while pulling up a steep hill a few hundred yards after takeoff, so exhaust could be the problem.

Last time I didn't hear the fault come on, the rain was beating that hard on the van...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 11:58

My Motorhome: None anymore
Interested in this thread as it has happened me three times in the last 3 days...(Ford based HymerEXsis).......each time a few hours into a long motorway drive.
BUt with problem, There does seem to be an actual malfunction. When the warning appears, I lose power and have had to hobble along to find a safe place on the hard shoulder of a Spanish motorway. But each time after shutting down , and leaving it 5 or 10 mins, it restarts normally and has , so far, continued going.
Get home to Portugal tomorrow and have a man there who can look at it for me. But thought I'd post in case anyone has any more ideas...
Garcia
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 12:26

My Motorhome: Hymer Van 522
The stalling problem has been with us virtually from new.

Pull out from a junction with too few revs - embarrassing STALL.

I have learned not to restart immediately as it just dies again.

Wait a few seconds (it feels like minutes!), ignoring the furious hooting and tooting, and it starts OK.

I must get the ECU upgrade done.

When it was hot in the Ardèche - well, as hot as it is going to be here in Wales today, the engine would occasionally go into limp mode.

Again, I learned not to gun the accelerator as that just made it even limper.

The trick was just to coast along for a few seconds (ibid) and then it would pick up again.

It is probably a sensor(s) fault rather than an actual engine problem but no warning light appears.

Technology!

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 12:58

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
If your getting recurring fault lights try disconnecting the starter battery for twenty minutes and reconnect. This has the effect of rebooting the ECU, all same Windows Whatever!

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 14:42 Thread Starter

I noticed when I got my engine malfunction message just a few hundred yards into a steepish climb at the beginning of the journey, she didn't want to pull in 3rd at all. I'd get up the revs in 2nd then change to 3rd and she'd say No way. I think I've read somewhere that it's the engine protecting itself from possible damage - just in case the message is genuine.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 19-07-2016, 14:43 Thread Starter

Thanks Spacerunner, might give that a go - or might let someone lose give it a go. The Transit battery's a bit awkward to get at.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page