Engine remapping - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 12:44 Thread Starter

Engine remapping

I have a 2007 2.2 td Transit based Hymer and cover about 10,000 miles per year.
At the moment I am getting 32-34mpg and drive at 56mph on Motorways.
I do drive to conserve fuel as this is more important than speed to me.

Would it pay me to get the engine remapped and what would be the likely pay off ?

Tel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 13:21

We had ours done just over a year ago prior to a week in France.

We have an '07 2.4 RWD Transit and were getting 23-25mpg when driven carefully. (Our last van was based on a 2.2 FWD and we managed to squeeze 30mpg on a good run)

After much research and reading lots of reviews we went to a local franchise of a nationwide remapper and went ahead with it emphasising that we were after economy as the power was plentiful anyway.

We didn't have a chance to try it out before our trip but were really disappointed with the result - both the onboard computer and me and a calculater worked it back to 18mpg.

When we returned we got the guy to make some alterations (twice) to try it but eventually we asked him to return it to standard. The guy was quite adamant that ours was the first transit that he had failed to improve and inferred it was the way it was driven which I took exception to

Also (which may be totally unconnected with the remap) after about 200 miles into our France trip the engine management light came on and stayed on for about 500 miles before going out and its happened a couple of times since. The fault codes show it to be the mass air flow meter so hubby (Ford trained mechanic) is going to replace it in the next day or so.

That's our experience and if I was currently getting your mpg i'd leave well alone
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 14:28

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
IF re-mapping gives you an improvement in MPG its going to be very little (even if it does human nature takes over, if you have more power available you are going to use it!!)

So you need to work out how many miles per year you ACTUALLY do. say its 10,000 miles. If you get an improvement in mpg of 10% thats 1000 miles. If your MH turns in 25mpg thats 40 gallons of diesel. So if you are going to save 10% thats 4 gallons of fuel which at 7 a gallon is 28.

Divide the cost of the remap by 28 and that will tell you how many years it will take you to recoup the remap cost !!! It will be AT LEAST 10 years, then think how long you will keep the MH.

By this time you will have have probably worked out that a re-map (for ecomony reasons) is a bit of a waste of money!!

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, its in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 14:40

My Motorhome: 2007 Hymer B654
Im sure that most members on here would be delighted to be getting 32-34mpg for moving a 3500kg? non aerodynamic lump about! I know that I would! I would leave well alone. As already said the return on the cost would be a long wait, or you could end up worse off.
coppo and coppo like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 19:44

My Motorhome: Hymer MLT 620
Mrplodd you have taken the 10% twice.
The calculation is 10,000 miles pa, 25 mpg or 400 gallons consumed
Saving 10% is equivalent to 40 gallons
40 gallons at 4.54 litres per gallon approx 182 litres at 1.45 per litre is 263.90 pa

You may well get less than a 10% reduction

Jon
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 20:11

My Motorhome: Elddis (Accordo)Envy 125 Compact
Personal Aire
I work for Openreach and all our vans either have or will be remapped. We even have a sticker on the back telling everyone how good we are to the environment. One of my friends is a workshop manager for BT fleet and he said they are saving a fortune on fuel, but do keep in mind that it is one of the biggest fleets of vehicles in europe. They have trained there own mechanics to do the job and have bought all the kit and pay something silly like 50 per remap. This makes it easier to make saving. I don't think the average man in the street paying about 300 for a remap would ever say it was worth it for the saving alone. I had my Fiat 2.3 remapped just to stop all the gear changes from 4th to 5th and back, and it has made it better to drive.
Sorry I meant to say I drive a ford transit at work that has been remapped and I did feel that it was much more car like after it had been done.

Amateurs Built the ark. Professionals Built the Titanic.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 21:04

remap

I have been thinking of getting my 2.4tdi Transit remapped.Not interested in going any quicker but could do with a bit more torque in the mid range.Anyone with a Mk 6 Transit Coachbuilt had it done with good results?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 22:36

My Motorhome: I drive...
We will be getting our 2.4 transit mh done when we pick her up in a weeks time

Had my Jeep Grand Cherokee done 5 years ago best thing I did mind you you do have to watch your right foot.

We get between 42/44 at 56 mph I'm in no rush unless boy racer try's it on as her 0 to 60 is 6.9 seconds lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1434141334723.jpg (809.2 KB, 21 views)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 13:27

Personal Aire
Ive made a few enquiries about re-mapping my RWD 2.4 2008. I would get a power increase and more torque, but not too much. It would be 155 bhp from 140.

Ive recently had a service on my van, with "ford" filters put in. Since then, ive had the MAF sensor kicking in fault codes which then are checked, and reset.

The fuel consumption has fallen from 25 to 22. Ive just ordered a new K&N filter for 50 in the hope that it ma help both the fuel consumption and the MAF sensor !

Prior to the service, all was working brilliantly !

Rollerteam Autoroller 700, Ford Transit 140 T350
Mertie Moto

My Travels https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...M.kY_dTDvKO74w
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 15:05

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I don't do enough miles to warrant a re map, but am more that happy with the performance with my Fiat X250.23/25mpg 3.0L engine.
However there was one chap with a 8m nearly 4200kg size on a Fiat that claims since he had his re mapped he gets 40/42mpg.On a rally that I attended this year.
Of course I believed him.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page