Black smoke & loss of power - Merc 316cdi Sprinter 2005 - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-04-2014, 22:02

Location: Ex Rochdale,now Cabanas de Tavira, S.Brittany & where the wheels take me
My Motorhome: Calder Leisure Ultralite 5'er & Globecar Globestar PVC
As well as the main fuel filter it may be worth looking for a smaller inline filter or ,has as been mentioned, a water trap type.

Sometimes these are fitted as an addition and are not necessarily mentioned in the manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-04-2014, 22:41

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
I'm a bit confused. A blocked fuel filter would result in a loss of power through lack of fuel however black smoke is indicative of over fueling or burning oil.
I can't see how a blocked fuel filter would give you black smoke.

Cheers
Bill
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-04-2014, 22:46

Personal Aire
I had similar symptoms and unfortunately it was Injectors. Had to replace two and they were much more than 100 each.

As your problem has recurred after a filter replacement this would suggest it isn't the Injectors.

To prevent "Black Death" Injectors should when removed be replaced using new seals Hold down bolts and ceramic grease.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-04-2014, 08:57

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
I needed injectors serviced for my (then) 27 year-old Merc OM 636 engine.

I took them to Watson's in Wimbledon. The guy picked them and said they're from an old Mercedes I immediately thought I am in the right 'shop' here.

He apologised that he could not turn them round for the next day - they are obviously geared up for the truck trade where vehicles are needed back on the road pronto.

They were ready day after and price seemed reasonable.

Excellent service - highly recommended.

I do not know if they do a postal service.

Geoff
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-04-2014, 23:29 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne 696G
Personal Aire
Evening all...

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Will try to address each one....

Black smoke - I am reliably informed that this is produced when the fuel in the fuel/air mix is not burned properly. A blocked/duff fuel filter can cause the fuel injected to be contaminated and so will not burn properly and be emitted as black smoke. And it is as oily as hell!!! And gets everywhere.......

A duff injector or two will also give the same symptoms BUT the van will always run roughly. Ours seemed to have been cured by the replacement of the filter last year....but as already said, it didnt last.

Which leads me to believe that the whole fuel system is contaminated and needs to be drained / flushed through. I admit, we havent used the van (for touring) for the last 2 1/2 years anything like we did before (work has got in the way), so I do think that we have been the architects of our own misfortune.

We lived in it full time for 2 years up to about a year ago and, other than the trip to Switzerand last summer, the van has hardly turned a wheel. Even when we were full-timing, we didnt really drive it anywhere.

A shocking state of affairs!!!!

One we intend to rectify...............

So I think the following:

1. A trip to Merc truck & bus just to get them to put their Star diagnotic over it to see what comes up.

2. Find someone locally (Redditch) who can do a full fuel drain and flush and fit a new filter. The standard filter has a water trap fitted already.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-04-2014, 00:37

My Motorhome: Gone now, flogged it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_n_Flo

2. Find someone locally (Redditch) who can do a full fuel drain and flush and fit a new filter. The standard filter has a water trap fitted already.
Hi, Carl, the Motorhome Depot (right here in Redditch) will sort that for you. I've had excellent service from them & so has Zebedee. Details in Company reports.
They're in Bartleet Road, right opposite Halfords head office.

No connection BTW, other than as a satisfied customer.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-04-2014, 09:04 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmbeedee

Hi, Carl, the Motorhome Depot (right here in Redditch) will sort that for you. I've had excellent service from them & so has Zebedee. Details in Company reports.
They're in Bartleet Road, right opposite Halfords head office.

No connection BTW, other than as a satisfied customer.
Thanks for this!!!

That is very handy - just around the corner from me

I'll take it round there next week for them to have a look at and see what they can do.

Right on the doorstep - I like that!!!!
Cheers
Carl
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 21:49 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
OK - update time.........

Bit the bullet and took the van to Midland Truck & Van in Coventry, a Mercedes franchise truck and van dealer.

Plugged it into the Star diagnostics system and straight away it came up with a duff electro pneumatic pressure transducer for the turbo!

This little device regulates the fuel/air mixture dependent upon the turbo boost pressure - and was faulty.

A new one was fitted and, lo and behold, we have our old van back!!!

Total cost = 90 for the part, 247.50 labour, all plus VAT. (405)

OUch!!!! But at least it now works properly.

Will be doing a fair few miles in it BEFORE we head across the water in September - I dont fancy tackling the Dolomites with a sick van.....

Carl
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 20:21

Thread resurrection. Was interested to read this since I'm having similar issues with my (new to me) Hymer 640 which is on a 416cdi merc chassis.

Only put 500miles on it since buying it three weeks ago (adding to its 35k which it has on the clock). First few trips were fine, but twice on the last two return journeys, half way back, the van has suddenly and inexplicably lost power to the point where I've had to down change on motorway gradients (all around Essex rather than anywhere really hilly) and lost what seems to be the turbo. But no black smoke.

Anyway, I'm off on another 500mile journey at the weekend so have it booked into S&B Commercials Merc dealer in Stansted on Thursday so hopefully they can diagnose it since AA man didn't have a clue. No split or loose hoses and seems to correct itself once the ignition is turned off and restarted.

Will have oem cruise control fitted at the same time!

2001 Hymer S640 - 416Cdi - aka "Harry"
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 20:51 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Ah.......now this one I may be able to help with, if your engine is similar to ours.

We had a very similar problem in the first week of owning our van. On one of the large air inlet ducts (on the right of our engine when viewed from the front) there is a small electrical 'device' with 3 wires coming from it. It has 3 tiny pins that plug into a similar sized receptical fixed to the side of the duct. Ours was completely un-plugged (I only discovered this after driving from Dorset to the Swiss border!!!). After plugging it back together, the van ran like a dream and had plenty of oomph. When the plug was apart, it felt as if the turbo were blown and it wouldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Every so often, it gives the same symptoms as you describe even to this day, however I have now discovered that it is just the pins getting a little dirty.

Find this plug, pull it apart and give the pins a very gentle wipe with meths or similar. The syptoms will vanish I guarantee!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page