Steering Rack, Cam belt etc etc - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 23:06

Personal Aire
.....they are not really on the cash ball; they should have included a new set of tyres after 6 years if they were fully fly!

Please get a second opinion.

Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:31

Morph, I would want to know *exactly* what is wrong with the rack. Also was this an MOT failure or just suggested as part of the service?

If you want to take up other's suggestions of taking it elsewhere for MOT it would be good if you mentioned your location: you probably wouldn't want to travel far ....

Harvey

ps. my old 1992 Master is still on it's original rack!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:34 Thread Starter

Re: Steering Rack, Cam belt etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc
Is it a main agent? My advise would be to take it elsewhere if in any doubt.
Yes, it's in the Renaul main dealership in Parkwood, Maidstone (kent).

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd
I would double check that Renault suggest a cam belt change is due on your vehicle. If it was me I wouldnt hesitate. If the cam belt fails then you are looking at SERIOUS & EXPENSIVE (quite possibly terminal) engine damage.

Valves stay open, piston comes up at very high speed and hits said valve with considerable force, end result is a HUGE repair bill at best or a replacement engine at worst.

Thats why many manufacturers are returning to chain driven cams rather than belts. VERY few engines can survive a cam belt failure. (I know for only one and that was fitted in Mazda MX 5's)

As far as the brakes and steering rack are concerned I would echo others and say just one thing

Second opinion required!!
Absolutely agree re: the damage that could be done if the belt goes - I've seen it and it's not nice!

It's at a Renault main dealership, who tell me that Renault advise it is changed after 6 years (or xxx miles, but I didn't listen to that bit).

As it's a main dealership, I'm happy to accept their advice re the Cam Belt, and I've seen the pitting on the brake discs myself (whilst I was having new M+S tyres fitted a couple of months ago).

It's the steering rack, where I don't know whether to trust them or not. They insist it would fail the MOT if they didn't replace it but there again, they are carrying out the MOT so I can't insist they don't do anything about it, unless I'm prepared to get it MOT'd somewhere else!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:41 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalan
.....they are not really on the cash ball; they should have included a new set of tyres after 6 years if they were fully fly!
Ha! I beat them to it on that one, and had a new set a couple of months ago, so they'd be a bit daft trying to foist that on me!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:55

Renault Master

Hi Morphology, I have a CI on a Renault chassis, mine is August 06 registered and has completed 20k miles., to date I have not needed any parts replaced,
however I am aware that the bottom ball joints on this base vehicle are,within the trade, regarded as being the week link in the suspension, they wear quickly but there condition is easily checked by the garage I believe later models are fitted with heavier ball joint units. In 2006 a lot of the Renault masters were fitted with the Nissen 3 ltr power unit which is chain driven, this is my preference, but would not be everyones cup of tea as the output is 140bhp compared to the 150bhp of the later 2.5 ltr. that Renault now fit. If yours is tne cam belt version it would be wise to replace the belt as per manufacturers instructions. Finally I go to a small garage for my repairs/checks who is vat.registered, this way I avoid the excessive charges of the main dealer who will start with labour costs in the region of £75 per hr.also the work carried out at the main dealers I believe is harder to keep a check on. Hope this helps,
Bob.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 13:26 Thread Starter

Re: Renault Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrhead
Hi Morphology, I have a CI on a Renault chassis, mine is August 06 registered and has completed 20k miles., to date I have not needed any parts replaced,
however I am aware that the bottom ball joints on this base vehicle are,within the trade, regarded as being the week link in the suspension, they wear quickly but there condition is easily checked by the garage I believe later models are fitted with heavier ball joint units. In 2006 a lot of the Renault masters were fitted with the Nissen 3 ltr power unit which is chain driven, this is my preference, but would not be everyones cup of tea as the output is 140bhp compared to the 150bhp of the later 2.5 ltr. that Renault now fit. If yours is tne cam belt version it would be wise to replace the belt as per manufacturers instructions. Finally I go to a small garage for my repairs/checks who is vat.registered, this way I avoid the excessive charges of the main dealer who will start with labour costs in the region of £75 per hr.also the work carried out at the main dealers I believe is harder to keep a check on. Hope this helps,
Bob.
Good grief! so I have ball-joints to look forward to as well?

For routine stuff I'll definitely use a small garage - I use a local guy for my cars who is brilliant, reliable, trustworthy, good value - he has done all my cars for the past 15 years. Unfortunately he can't fit the Motorhome in his garage!

Mine's got the 120bhp 2.5litre which (according to the dealership) is a belt rather than a chain.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 14:29

My Motorhome: Hymer E650
Morph

I use wents garage ulcombe which is about 5 miles from parkwood tele no 01622 842 445

they have a big ramp and i have used them for about 5 years.

They also hire motorhomes so are familiar with work involved.

They of course do mot's

It is worth a second opinion for a cost of £60

Ian
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 20:20 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer
I use wents garage ulcombe which is about 5 miles from parkwood tele no 01622 842 445
Doh! I even met the bloke who owns that business on the Apple Acres campsite outside Tunbridge Wells, so thanks for the reminder!

Curiously, even though he buys & rents motorhomes, services etc., he said he wouldn't drive one personally, and prefers his caravan!

There's no accounting for some people.

Morph.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 21:33

I would get a second opinion on the steering rack. I have never had one fail.
Cam belt is something that needs doing as the cost of failure is unthinkable.
As for the rear disks they do very little in braking and as such seem to wear slowly and makes them prone to sticking and rust.

I don't trust Mot garages that are fairly certain that you will use them for repairs. They have a vested interest in it failing.

Take it to a Council or Government Mot centre. Just had ours done in local Ambulance repair depot, £40!! They do no repairs and are used to Fiat Ducato, Renault Master, Merc Sprinters etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page