How many litres left when the warning light comes on? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:09

I've had the red light on twice in the 5 years. I did note the refill on both occasions - it was 20 & 22 litres left on refill, difference I suspect the mileage to the garage.

We have a Fiat 2.3 holding 80 litres.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:14

I have to ask why anyone would ever let their tank get below about half, or at the least a quarter full??

Most of the posts on this thread recall the cold sweats and buttock clenching terror (I exaggerate only slightly! ) as members prayed they would get to the next filling station!

What's the point? The fuel has to be purchased, and you don't save any money by leaving it to the last minute!! Why suffer the agonies which are so easily avoidable??

There are a few things I still want to do before I snuff it - but running out of fuel on the motorway, in the van, is not one of them!!

Dave

(P.S. I think the nasties in the bottom of the tank is a myth. They don't suddenly appear when the fuel gets low, and the dip tube is at the bottom, so if there were any it would drag them up however much fuel was in there.)
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:03

Quote:
What's the point? The fuel has to be purchased, and you don't save any money by leaving it to the last minute!!
Am I the only person who arrives at Capellen services in Luxembourg with a drop in the tank to save a stack at the services then ? Although am not sure it is worth the stick I get from the missus !!!

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:13

My Motorhome: Gone now, flogged it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee
(P.S. I think the nasties in the bottom of the tank is a myth. They don't suddenly appear when the fuel gets low, and the dip tube is at the bottom, so if there were any it would drag them up however much fuel was in there.)
I was going to post along the same lines, Dave, but you beat me to it. This urban myth crops up all the time.
Last time I ran out was about 25 years ago on the I95 in Georgia, in the dark, with the whole family with me. Boy, was I popular! What's more, they've never let me forget it!
They were all looking at the warning lamp, which was on. In contrast, I was relying on the gauge, (stuck on a quarter tank) & dead reckoning which meant we should have made it to our booked hotel in South Carolina without stopping to refill.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
Quote:
I have to ask why anyone would ever let their tank get below about half, or at the least a quarter full??
you obviously weren't in deepest France when the petrol delivery was on strike! Three days without being able to fill up while on the way back to Calais is when I got interested in how much the fuel gauge bars meant. We just did it on vapour and feather feet on the accelerator.

I have answered your question, can you answer mine The topic title asks a specific question in order to get some facts that may help one in the future. It doesn't imply that is the way the OP normally drives.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:26

Hi
When i was a lad . No,not a Myth,you have to remember in days of yore,some of us scavenged for diesel in quarries,on site and the filling buckets gerry cans were not allways spotless,also another fine trick was putting grass/cotton waste in the fuel tanks of people who had upset someone,this would not show until near the bottom.
Last but not least,if there are NO? Nasties at the bottom of the tank....... Why have a fuel filter?
If the tanks are clean,the impurities are in the fuel,if the fuel is clean.... Why the filter?.
Ted.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewball1000
I have answered your question, can you answer mine The topic title asks a specific question in order to get some facts that may help one in the future. It doesn't imply that is the way the OP normally drives.
Grovelling apologies Andrew.

I was very careful not to make any reference to yourself, since I was clearly not casting nasturtiums at anyone in particular! It was nothing more than a general observation - which may help one (or more) in the future.

I can't answer your specific question, but I can ask another one, and not entirely tongue in cheek. "How would it help you to know how much fuel you had left if you found yourself (unavoidably) in that situation?"

You would either get to the next filling station, or you wouldn't!

Dave
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethune
Am I the only person who arrives at Capellen services in Luxembourg with a drop in the tank to save a stack at the services then ? Although am not sure it is worth the stick I get from the missus !!!
Hi Bethune

Anyone who doesn't must be a bit dim, since the savings are quite considerable.

Still not enough to run down to the red light though (in my opinion) with all the hassle it so easily could involve.

I would rather save on three quarters of a tankful than run the risk of grinding to an embarrassing halt!

As ever though, it's up to the individual to make their own choice . . . and not to whinge about it afterwards if they have made the wrong one!

Dave
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:49 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
No apologies necessary Dave.

Quote:
"How would it help you to know how much fuel you had left if you found yourself (unavoidably) in that situation?"D
If I knew the distance left was too far when the light came on, I would have camped while I still had fuel near to a fuel station and waited till the strike was over, rather than running out in the middle of nowhere.

Having a better idea of the litres I had left, than I did, would be of help in making this decision as the differnce between the two scenarios is quite drastic, as has been pointed out.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 11:54

Quote:
If I knew the distance left was too far when the light came on, I would have camped while I still had fuel near to a fuel station and waited till the strike was over, rather than running out in the middle of nowhere.
Graciously conceded!

Quote:
Having a better idea of the litres I had left, than I did, would be of help in making this decision as the differnce between the two scenarios is quite drastic, as has been pointed out.
And again - but other than in such exceptional circumstances as you quoted, it's a problem that nobody ever needs to face, don't you think?

That was my point - why add stress to a holiday when one can so easily avoid doing so?

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page