What position..... - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 13:39 Thread Starter

What position.....

Hi all ..... Just bought our first motorhome 1995 Renault Trafic T1400D Challenger in superb condition and only 60000 mls.... I was wandering if someone could tell me a bit about the electric control panel. It's called a Power Management System PMS 34...... The van is hooked up to mains power and everything is working ok but there is a switch that shows either VAN or CAR and i am not sure which of these it should be set to........ Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 14:13

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Nuevo
Personal Aire
Re: What possition.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Hi all ..... Just bought our first motorhome 1995 Renault Trafic T1400D Challenger in superb condition and only 60000 mls.... I was wandering if someone could tell me a bit about the electric control panel. It's called a Power Management System PMS 34...... The van is hooked up to mains power and everything is working ok but there is a switch that shows either VAN or CAR and i am not sure which of these it should be set to........ Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mo

Hi Mo

On ours, when hooked up and the switch set to van (in our case habitation) then the leisure battery or batteries is topped up. When set to Car (vehicle) then the starter battery is topped up.
Very useful switch especially in our case when hooked up on the drive at home.

Terry
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 15:51

Personal Aire
While camping, always have it switched to VAN, or you will be running the vans lights from the car battery. If your leisure battery should ever run flat, you could use the switch on CAR to power the pump and lights from the car battery but also risk not being able to start if you drain that one too. Car batteries are not designed to go flat so you may incur damage to it if you do cause it to go flat.
Alan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 19:33 Thread Starter

Thanks guys...

Will go out and switch the panel to CAR as the starter battery has gone flat due to it laying in the drive and not turning over for about three weeks, so hopefully this will charge the starter battery.....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 13-12-2011, 18:52

Re: Thanks guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Will go out and switch the panel to CAR as the starter battery has gone flat due to it laying in the drive and not turning over for about three weeks, so hopefully this will charge the starter battery.....
That may or may not work. Not all vans charge the car battery when switched over, some do and others....

If it doesn't then you can connect the positive terminals of both batteries and they will both charge. If you do this then put an inline fuse in the wire - 10a should be sufficient - it will blow if you forget and try to start the van with the batteries still connected.

JohnW
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 14-12-2011, 13:29

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Hi Mo
That switch is to select where to take your power from (ie for you lights pump 12v socket for the telly etc etc) so leave it set to Van. It should automatically charge when driving or on hook up. They dont bother to install a swicth to select "charge from" as you will alway want your van (also called habitation or leisure" battery topped up when driving or on hook up.

You can test this by connecting a multi meter (which everyone should have in theor van as its so useful) to the terminals and you should see the voltage rise when you start the engine or hook up top 230v. let us known if you need more precise instructions.

As another poster said you can swicth to "car" if you ever need some power urgently but dont leave it on too long or it will flatten the car cbattery and you wont be able to start the vehicle. if possible leave the engine running if you select car.

Phill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page