Renault Master suspension / steering noise - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-11-2009, 19:25 Thread Starter

Renault Master suspension / steering noise

Hi -

Just getting used to the Master. Those of you who have one could you help me with this.

Its an auto 2.5 and has power steering.

I have noticed that at relatively slow speeds on moderate left hand lock I get a knocking from the front suspension on the offside near my feet. Its not exceptionally loud but is noticeable. It sounds as if it could a strut top mount but the vehicle has only covered 8k.

Is this normal on these, you do seem to be very close to the suspension in comparison to a car and there is little sound proofing.

Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 21-11-2009, 22:57

Ours is based on a 2.5 Renault Master, but I can say that I've not heard the noise you described. Ours also hase the quickshift6 gearbox.

I'm not mechanically minded so I don't think I can answer your other question... sorry.

w
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-11-2009, 06:30

My Motorhome: Rapido 604FF
Renault Master steering/suspension noise

Hi there John
We are also the proud owners of a 2.5 Renault Master based van -Lunar Telstar. Rare it seems as hens' teeth but a cracking little MH which, with some very slight and easy tweeking, has become our second home in the last 12 months. Have done 8000 miles since Dec 2008 (at around 31-32 mpg)to add to the 5000miles when we picked it up. It's a 2006 model. During our long trip (5000 miles through France & Spain in the autumn) I began to notice a knocking on the driver's side but only in the first few miles as we drove away first thing in the morning. It seemed to disapear after a few minutes, or was no longer noticable. This could be due in part to improved road surfaces as we got onto main roads but I don't think so.
To me it sounded more like a knocking in a hollow vessel that had to fill up/warm up, rather than a suspension issue. Was not aware of actually feeling anything through my feet. Suspension and steering remains fine and come to think of it I was not aware of it when we travelled to Oxford a few days ago.
So, it may be the same issue that you describe but, like you, intrigued to get views from others out there.
When I can get around to it I intend to share some of the "tweeks" and things we have learned about our new home. Hopefully they will be of interest to others.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-11-2009, 09:21 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

The Renault has replaced a Transit and is a vast improvement. It has a warranty so I'll pop it back. If I get to the bottom of it I will post back on here.

Thanks

John
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-11-2009, 09:32

if its a constant knocking noise only on full lock then it could be a driveshaft c v joint as sometimes they click when on a lock and normally go when in a straight line or on the other lock they sometime knock first thing in the morning and go when driven as the grease warms up and lubes inside the joint if its covered by warranty then the dealer should be able to sort this out
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 16:32

I've experienced exactly the same noise as corkheader under the same circumstances. My Master has done 21k miles and the noise first appeared at around 18k. It is intermittent. Took the vehicle into the local Renault Trucks dealer who inspected the front suspension and wheel bearings. No wear or defects were found although the fitter said he did tighten a few bolts (which ones I don't know). I've not driven the van much since so I am unable to say if the noise has gone. Good news is that the fitter did not find any problem when he checked out the suspension.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 17:34 Thread Starter

Thanks,

Van is going in Monday week. I did check with Renault and they indicated that there have been issues with lower ball joints and shocks. Both can be changed under good will. Will keep you posted.

John
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 17-08-2011, 00:12

Renault Master front suspension noise

I realise this tread started some time ago but I have only just joined. I have been experiencing the same problem and out of frustration I decided to change both the front shocks and springs as every other possible source had been explored. Even when discussing it at the garage I was informed it is a common problem and they could not offer a solution.
I have once again removed the shocks and springs. It will become clear that the upper bearing point for the springs are attached to the upper wishbones. These bearing points move on a central point just as a ball joint does. The spring is trapped between the upper point and the lower beam simply by the weight of the vehicle. As you slow down or turn the chassis moves and the spring being metal on metal lets out a hollow noise as "bong". It can be replicated simply by jacking up the front on either side. The cure seems to be some material between the springs bearing points to allow some movement without the noise. So far I have used home made rubber washers 110mm in diameter with a 60mm hole at the top and 75mm hole at the bottom. How long the washers will last has yet to be established but it is working. It is strange that the manufacturers have not come up with a modifcation. No wonder each time a mechanic looks at it all seems fine. It is fine apart from the noise which can start at any time and is most annoying.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 17-08-2011, 17:30 Thread Starter

Hi Earney-

I haven't managed to completely cure mine. I can reduce it by altering the rear tyre and air ride pressure. This would add weight to your theory.

I have noticed that there is a wear mark on the bump stops on mine.

John
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 17-08-2011, 22:28

Hi all

Our 2007 Master 150 now on 20k runs like a dream but thanks for the heads up.

Thats whats so good about MHF to be forewarned etc,
Hope your solution continues to work Earney sounds like you looked right into it.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in