Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Renault (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/152-renault/)
-   -   Renault Warranty (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/152-renault/57508-renault-warranty.html)

Stanner 28-08-2009 09:08

Renault Warranty
 
I've just been informed by the local Renault dealer that Renault Warranties run from date of delivery of the chassis to the converter regardless of when the vehicle is finally registered and put "on the road".

From what I've read on here this appears to differ from the much maligned Fiat who it seems can "reset" the warranty to start from when the vehicle is first registered.

Has anybody else had experience of this and found a way to get a full warranty?

wilse 28-08-2009 09:24

My warranty [2 years] has now run out... we've an Adria based on Renault Master.

Although built in Feb, it was registered in August.
The warranty man at Adria had said if I sent him a copy of the V5 he'd liase with Renault and correct the dates.

Don't know if this helps.

w

Stanner 28-08-2009 09:53

My dealer said the same - they informed Renault of the actual registration date and have heard nothing from Renault informing them of the start date being reset or that it can't be done.

I needed to contact the local dealer on a minor matter and he said that so far as his system is concerned the warranty has expired and he knows of no way to reset it.
He said that a chassis for conversion would have been supplied centrally not via a dealer and so far as he knows the warranty starts ticking from the date of delivery.

I've sent an enquiry to Renault UK through their website and I'm just waiting for a reply.

sallytrafic 28-08-2009 12:25

My Renault was rest to the date of first registration. When I had a failure just after the warrantee ended I jokingly said that its a pity it wasn't reset to the day I picked up the vehicle (Three weeks later) then it would have been covered - so they did there and then on the computer and my exhaust gas valve was replaced FOC.

Stanner 28-08-2009 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallytrafic
My Renault was rest to the date of first registration. When I had a failure just after the warrantee ended I jokingly said that its a pity it wasn't reset to the day I picked up the vehicle (Three weeks later) then it would have been covered - so they did there and then on the computer and my exhaust gas valve was replaced FOC.

Well Smiths in Peterborough say it can't be done.

Which dealer did you use? I'll give them a ring and ask.

sallytrafic 28-08-2009 13:02

I bought my Renault directly from the converter - no 'dealer' involved.

My local Renault service department in Salisbury (who were unconnected with the vehicle until I took it for a service) did all the necessary changes. I would have thought that they are just applying Renault's rules (with perhaps a degree of discretion)

Stanner 28-08-2009 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallytrafic
I bought my Renault directly from the converter - no 'dealer' involved.

My local Renault service department in Salisbury (who were unconnected with the vehicle until I took it for a service) did all the necessary changes. I would have thought that they are just applying Renault's rules (with perhaps a degree of discretion)

I've just spoken to "Jack" at what I guess must be your local Renault dealer and he confirms just what you say.
Looks like I'll be camping in Salisbury should I need any warranty work, they might even get my servicing business as well.

Stanner 13-09-2009 12:27

Update..

Left this in the hands of the supplying dealer while away on the Hebrides and got back to a message to ring him on my return.

He tells me that Renault's answer is just as I got from Smiths in Peterborough - "Tough, the warranty started running when CI took delivery of the chassis".


Also while away I got a reply to an enquiry I made to CI UK (Autotrail) - they are also concerned about the situation and have asked me to send a copy of the V5 so they can take the matter up with Renault as well.

It appears that no one "downstream" of Renault can understand their position.

Zebedee 13-09-2009 13:21

As you said earlier Stanner, at least Fiat will re-set the date so the warranty starts at first registration. :wink:

I guess in the case of Renault one could easily lose several months warranty if a van was the last of a batch of chassis to be converted, then stood in a dealer's yard for some time before being sold.

Thanks for posting details of Renault's intransigence on this very important matter. I wasn't planning to buy one, but would be having serious second thoughts if I was. 8O

Did you get any reasons from Renault - just for interest? :?

Dave :D

Stanner 13-09-2009 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebedee
As you said earlier Stanner, at least Fiat will re-set the date so the warranty starts at first registration. :wink:

I guess in the case of Renault one could easily lose several months warranty if a van was the last of a batch of chassis to be converted, then stood in a dealer's yard for some time before being sold.

Thanks for posting details of Renault's intransigence on this very important matter. I wasn't planning to buy one, but would be having serious second thoughts if I was. 8O

Did you get any reasons from Renault - just for interest? :?

Dave :D

Mine has lost far more than that as it's route from CI to me has been a little convoluted as it's not a common spec and so not sold in great numbers

I haven't actually been in contact with Renault other than the initial query via their website - their reply (by phone) came over the Bank Holiday weekend and we were due on the ferry from Oban on the Monday so I had to leave it in the hands of the dealer who supplied the m/home (not the Renault dealer) - they liaised with Renault and got the brush off.
I had also sent an enquiry to Autotrail to ask what the situation was with the CI bit of the warranty.

They emailed back obviously concerned about the implications of Renault's attitude and asking for a copy of the V5 etc.

As for Renault I just don't think they've thought it through - hopefully this will make them rethink their position.

What I don't understand is the completely diametrically opposed attitude of the Renault dealer in Salisbury.

I foresee a visit to the Renault stand at the NEC ..........................


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:25.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome