I'm thinking about buying a Renault Trafic Holdsworth - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:00 Thread Starter

I'm thinking about buying a Renault Trafic Holdsworth

Greetings, I'm a new member to this site and am wanting advice on whether or not to proceed with a purchase of a Renault Trafic Holdsworth Autosleeper, 1985 model 1647cc. I need to know if parts are readily available. Have never owned a Renault. Currently have a Ford Transit Camper and parts are never a problem.

Anyone out there able to advise? Please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 11:13

Send a message via AIM to annetony
contact Mike at no1 gear, http://www.no1gear.com/

he will be able to tell you if the parts are readily available or not, as he deals with stuff for older vans, ours is a 1991 and we have had quite a few parts off him and his advice has been brilliant

good luck

Anne
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 19:33

Parts are getting scarcer.

I have volunteered to start up and run a spare parts database for the Renault Trafic Motorhome Register (but haven't started as yet).

You could always join RTMR as well as MHF

Here is alink to their Yahoo group (RTMO), but be warned, its nowhere near as swish as MHF

>here<

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 20:02

I have a 1992 Renault Master. Have owned it for nearly six years. I haven't had any problems getting the few spares that I have needed. Most from motor factors, but several from Renault Dealers. The main problem with the dealers is finding one, the staff of which, can read a parts manual!

There are though, I am sure, far more Renault Masters of 1983 to 1997 vintage on the road than very early Trafics.

I would suggest that unless you want to treat this Renault as a 'Classic' and expect some challenges in maintaining it, it may be best avoided.

Harvey ( Owner of the RenaultMaster-List at yahoogroups )
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 21:18

Hi,
Our first campervan was a Holdsworth Romance HTL on a Trafic and we had some good times with it.

Ours was a 2 litre petrol hitop and from memory the smaller engined ones were a bit sluggish. We only got about 20mpg and had to replace the steering rack at a considerable cost. Also the radiator failed in France and a Renault main dealer couldn't get a replacement quickly when it was about ten years old

I would think a 1985 model would be a classic camper and unless very well looked after could have rust around the windscreen and wheel arches.

The front windows in the hightop also tended to leak

Autosleepers used the Trafic for various models, one was the Recro. I can't remember if it was a fixed high top or rising roof.

I would think Transit parts would be easier to get at least in the UK !

Good luck with your search anyway.

Steve

Steve and Sheila
Read about our latest travels in Europe on our website
http://www.motorhomeandaway.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:47

My parents used to have a 1986 Renault Romance lift top with the 1647cc engine, which was , incidentally, taken from the old Renault 16 car. Even when they traded it in in 1995, parts were becoming scarce and difficult to find. It also ate two gearboxes in five years and these were a definite weakpoint. They have since had a later Trafic with the 1722 engine from the Renault 22 car-a much better engine and gearbox. If possible, I would go for the later van unless you can be sure of being able to get spares.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:36

It's a shame if you decide not to go with the purchase because of spares, although I fully appreciate the reasons.

Our first MH was a Renault Traffic desiel with a pop up top. The Holdsworth conversion was brilliant - I defy anyone to find a better use of space. We had so much fun with ours for 4 years that we are now on our 2nd new MH.

Good luck with your researches

Sue

Sue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page