Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Renault (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/152-renault/)
-   -   Renault Master drive train fault (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/152-renault/40828-renault-master-drive-train-fault.html)

tresrikay 04-08-2008 18:46

Renault Master drive train fault

Anyone else had a problem with drive train judder, going uphill around 50 m.p.h, in fifth gear. Last year I noticed a judder in fifth gear after about 2000 miles on my Lunar 592, it was only 7-8 months old and only when touring France a year ago did it appear to be getting worse. I took it to my local Renault dealer and they told me it was a recognized problem and they had it in for 3 days and sorted it. Touring Scotland this last 2 weeks I noticed the problem had returned, so I took it intoday and yes they said it was the same problem..... something to do with the sun wheel diff....... whatever that might be?. However this time renault said they would only pay 60% of the bill even though I have 9 months warrenty left and it is only 11 months since the work was done. I immediately got on to customer services who are saying it is wear and tear, so they are saying that for the same drive train fault in 11000 miles on a commercial vehicle that has been driven with over the top care, serviced regularly never exceeded 70 m.p.h, never driven by anyone else, is down to me.......... Ihave left them to think again overnight and come back witha better solution before I bring the world of legal rights down upon them but I need to know if any other owners of post 03, 120 dci master owners have had similar probs /????

lucy2 04-08-2008 18:58

I have the same model but mine is auto , no problems

carolgavin 04-08-2008 20:31

Yikes, that is not good and I would definately not be a happy bunny even though I have no idea what drive train even does. Gawd could it be that Renault have even worse ideas of customer service than Fiat/peugeot?????
I hope you get some kind of satisfaction. I read today on another forum that some poor chap who bought his brand new van on a Renault base is being told it is out of warranty as Renault insist the warranty started when the van was delivered to the converter......................................... bizarre!!

tresrikay 04-08-2008 20:46

This is probably true, as my vehicle, registered 07/06. Here in the U.K. had in fact started its warranty period in March of that year, when it was delivered to the Home car factory in Belgium. I only found that out when I heard you could extend the warranty by a year (free) on R/H drive M/Hs that had been built in Europe. However RENAULT are now trying to wriggle out of both the extended warranty and the 12 monthwarranty on the work done 49 weeks ago............ Wonder if its anything to do wiyh the credit crunch. If you are thinking of buying a M/H on a Renault I would Ask a lot of Questions? Va Va VOOOOOOMMM ut Its your fault if we make a bad one.

homerdog 04-08-2008 20:50

If the 'sun wheel diff' is the prob, then I would be very suprised 8O If they really are talking about sun and planetary diffs, they're talking about gearboxes not diffs.

If yours is an auto box, then there are these sun and planetary gears. The diff will still be crown and pinion.

Seems as though there's a harmonic vibration through the box, as I wouldn't mind betting that if you dropped into fourth, everything would be sweet again. It's a difficult one but, an independent report would probably concentrate minds.

H

tresrikay 04-08-2008 22:09

If it was serious enough for them to put it right once then I believe they should do it again. As i said to the customer (don't) care consultant it was a known fault in August 07, how come it has been forgotten in 08. Is it case of selective memory? me thinks so. Plus the shrinking market for their products. and the shrinking profits for its products. I will accept only one answer from Renault 100% of the cost to rectify the problem and if it happens again, then they put it right again or get me a new M/H.

tresrikay 08-08-2008 18:50

:D Renault customer care rang this afternoon and they are now happy to pay for the repair again...... funny how a bit of threatening concentrates the mind...... !

tresrikay 26-09-2008 19:11

Well finally managed to get Renault to pay again for a new shaft and whatever else they did, only for the judder to come back just 3 weeks later.
It is in again on Monday and this time I want it sorting.
I am sure others must be getting this problem and I am beginning to think it must be in the gear box.

carolgavin 27-09-2008 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by tresrikay
Well finally managed to get Renault to pay again for a new shaft and whatever else they did, only for the judder to come back just 3 weeks later.
It is in again on Monday and this time I want it sorting.
I am sure others must be getting this problem and I am beginning to think it must be in the gear box.

Hiya, how old is van now??? I would be tempted to reject it as it has a propensity to fail!! Mind you am probably being a bit OTT but hey ho thats me!

tresrikay 04-10-2008 22:24

They could'nt find a fault so I took their chief technician up around Buxton and just managed to get the hint of the judder.
The technician has informed Renault and placed a report, of which I have a copy. we have agreed to allow any development of the fault to progress with an assurance that should it get worse then action will be taken.
I must state that there is just the merest hint of the judder, so I am happy to carry on using the van. All the replacements were checked and were fine.