Renault Master drive train fault - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-04-2009, 20:59 Thread Starter

Bringing this post right up to date....... The problem developed as I knew that it would and after taking the after sales manager on another trip to Buxton, he suggested a go at the balance and tracking, which they did........ No change, so we booked it in and ...... I now have a new gear box and a third drive shaft. So hopefully this will solve that particular problem.
However another fault has raised its ugly head. When I go around a roundabout or take a sharp lefthander I get a rotational clunking....... Back to Lookers who say it is the rear discs that are de-enamelling? and need replacing and as i take a left the weight is knocking the pads against the discs. I can't believe that I need new discs after 14500 miles.
Thats about 6 months on a delivery van. My brother will do this job as my warranty is just out of cover. I really feel I have a Friday P.M van
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-04-2009, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tresrikay
Bringing this post right up to date....... The problem developed as I knew that it would and after taking the after sales manager on another trip to Buxton, he suggested a go at the balance and tracking, which they did........ No change, so we booked it in and ...... I now have a new gear box and a third drive shaft. So hopefully this will solve that particular problem.
However another fault has raised its ugly head. When I go around a roundabout or take a sharp lefthander I get a rotational clunking....... Back to Lookers who say it is the rear discs that are de-enamelling? and need replacing and as i take a left the weight is knocking the pads against the discs. I can't believe that I need new discs after 14500 miles.
Thats about 6 months on a delivery van. My brother will do this job as my warranty is just out of cover. I really feel I have a Friday P.M van
I know it may sound strange. tresrikay, but maybe it's BECAUSE you've only done 14,500 miles that the discs are de-enamelling. Brakes that are not used much, and in storage for lengthy periods, do seem to deteriorate more than those that are in daily use. It's the same with exhaust systems I've noticed.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-04-2009, 21:26

Who ever goes uphill in 5th gear? Managed Garrowby Hill in 3rd last week was dead chuffed!

Greenie

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-04-2009, 21:28 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by time-traveller
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresrikay
I know it may sound strange. tresrikay, but maybe it's BECAUSE you've only done 14,500 miles that the discs are de-enamelling. Brakes that are not used much, and in storage for lengthy periods, do seem to deteriorate more than those that are in daily use. It's the same with exhaust systems I've noticed.
I use my Van daily as it is my only form of Transport for the last 15 months since my scooter was stolen.
The front discs are fine ite just the rears that look bad.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-04-2009, 22:13

Having read most of the motorhome forums I find that the number of complaints about the Renault is surprising low - I suppose it is old enough to have had the problems ironed out.

However if the van is yours then only one complaint is sufficient to cause the bottom to drop out of your life.

I do wish you well in your quest for a solution and I also hope that the cost to you is kept to a near zero as possible.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 07:53

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
It's possible that the rear brakes are rarely applied under normal braking. My brother in law had a problem on an estate car and their was a load regulator under the rear floor which sensed when the car wasloaded and regulated the braking of the rear wheels.
I had a 2006 Master MH and except for a glow plug failure which caused the quickshift gearbox to default to manual it was ultra reliable. I could drive it backwards and forwards on grass and uphill with no problems. I changed it for a Fiat based MH and am keeping my fingers crossed for similar reliability.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:45

Location: In the badlands on the border of Staffordshire and Cheshire just out of earshot of the M6 and WCML
I think you may be correct there Ray.

On most vehicles it's the front brakes that do most of the work. A lot of the weight of the vehicle is thrown forward onto the front wheels under braking. That's why disc brakes are quite often only fitted to the front, with drum brakes on the rear because the rears aren't so critical.

Brake discs are regarded by vehicle makers as a sacrificial part of the braking system in the same way that pads are. The trouble is they're darn expensive to replace if you're the mutt that's holding the ball when they have to be changed.

A few years back at the end of a 3 year warranty and 3 years free servicing deal Skoda picked up the cost of new brake pads on my Octavia Estate but refused to pay for new discs. Apparently it was a VW Group decision and Germans must have a problem understanding the concept of 'free'. Anyway I swore I'd never buy another VW Group product and I haven't. Just shows that silly penny pinching decisions can cost big companies a lot of business and goodwill.

SDA
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 19:38 Thread Starter

I was also of the opinion that Renault was a superior vehicle, thats part reason I bought this van. That is why I am so fed up that i have had these problems.
Lookers want £321 for replacing the pads and discs so that is why i am having it done (in Family). Warranty is now up so I am hoping nothing else goes wrong.
I love the drive of the Master compared to my 03 Ducato amuch smoother ride and better gearing.
I have not driven a X250 so can't comment but the reverse probs etc seem ongoing.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 19:09
BSB

Renault Master Dci 120 Panel Van Conversion Engine Vibration

Hi, I am new to the site, I came across it when researching a vibration problem. I have a trans/engine vibration problem on my MWB van around 40 to 50 mph in 4/5/6 gear if under load, vib dissappears if you lift off the throttle. What I have found is that the eng/trans has a lateral resonance at approx ten Hz which is excited by the drive wheel shaft order at approx 48 mph. I have fitted some displacement sensors and have measure lateral movement of 2.5 mm peak to peak at 10 Hz of the eng/trans relative to the van structure, in the van this feels like a side to side shake. There appears to be no significant vertical or forward/aft vibration of the engine just alot of lateral vibration.

I now suspect drive shaft and or engine mount problems. My van is 6 years old and only done 18000 miles, the vibration appears to have only started in the last year or so.
My local Renault garage have not heard of this sort of problem before which surprises me!

Appologies if this is not entered in the correct place on the forum.

Regards
Brian
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 19:47

Well Brian,i've been in the motor trade a long time and you've lost me !!!!!,sounds like you might be over complicating things slightly and people might not want to answer.
Sounds like you have a vibration or judder but instead of measuring it what have you tried to rectify it ?????......also might be a good idea to start a new thread,this one is over 3 years old....Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page