Roof mount solar panels - Master Panel Van conversion - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 13:24 Thread Starter

Roof mount solar panels - Master Panel Van conversion

Hi. Hope someone can help / advise. Have just bought a 2008 Master MWB MM35 dCI 120 professional conversion (converted 2013) & intend to swap some of the parts from our caravan to the campervan ("upgrading" to the camper after 24 yrs of caravanning).

We have a 40W solar panel that I'm hoping to bond (Sikaflex kit) onto the roof of the Master, but I'm a bit perplexed how to carry this out due to the transverse ribs on the roof exterior... So transverse mounting looks OK - but longitudinal is making me pause.

Have located all the bits (I think?) I need on the Photonicuniverse web site.

I figure my options are:
1. bond the mounting blocks onto the ribs best I can, or...
2. bond long bridging aluminium angle / flat strips across the ribs and then bond the mounting blocks onto these.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers, Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 13:43

Why not buy a new flexi, lightweight panel and simply stick it on and save all that hassle? I'm sure you can get them in different capacities, if that's the term. See my post here timed at 10.43 2nd August 2014:

https://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-211130.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 13:59 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

As we already have an excellent solar panel and pukka solar charge regulator, I don't want to throw money away on new kit (apart the fitting bits & bobs).

Plus a flexi lightweight panel would not solve the problems of the raised transverse ribs getting in the way - I'd still need to consider some form of backing plate then I suppose. Without it the raised ribs would allow the wind to get underneath anything flexible and on the M-way's, & French & Spanish autoroutes we use I'd be concerned.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 14:42

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Hi and welcome, I'd put the 40 on Ebay for a tenner, someone will buy it, and buy a 100w panel, and a MPPT controller too, you don't say how many amps you have in your LBs (leisure batteries) most seem to go for a two 110ah or two 125 ah which is more than enough for a 2-3 day of wild camping or off EHU, unless you have a lot of Halogen bulbs or a big inverter for the 230v stuff.

MPPT controller, highly recommended, used by a few of us on here

Solar panel mounts

100w Solar Panel, you can pay more
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 12:08 Thread Starter

Hello and thanks for the info & links

Yes should have posted some background info first...
OK based on our caravanning history: we only use CL's / CS's (CC and C&CC) and tend to avoid those with HU's. There's just the two of us (+ 2 mutts) and have always managed with a single 100AH battery using the 40W panel. The last two caravans were all LED lighting, we've never had a TV (and no intention of having one), so the only 12v power used was for water pump, lighting & radio/CD player. Fridge / hot water / heating / etc was all run on propane.

We bought the 40W panel and solar charge regulator in 2003 (!?! I didn't realise it was that long ago!) after lengthy discussions with a 12v solar expert. It's always charged the battery back up after an evening's lighting + music then 2 x showers, breakfast & washing pots in the morning within an hour or so... The 40W panel is on an Alu frame I made that we can alter to match the suns angle in the sky and move to follow the sun's track, so never a problem getting enough charge from March through to October (our typical "season"). I see that you can now get calculators online at the solarelectricityhandbook website.

So - a 100W panel mounted horizontally may be needed to make up for not being able to track the angle / position of the sun; plus the low cost of the latest panels and solar charge regulators (ie MPPT) is a revelation when I consider we paid £250+ (after *much* shopping around!) for our set up 11-odd years ago!

Will go away and count my shekels, and do some more thinking...

Cheers!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 19:23

Hi I see you are converting a Renault Master. I have a Silver Screen for sale if you are interested. We have a Fiat now and had to buy a larger size to fit.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 Thread Starter

Hi - thanks but already got a set of those
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 17:07

How about a brand new set of Master wheel trims? Ever hopeful. Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 18:34 Thread Starter

The Goode Wyffe has set her sights on some funky black and silver ones I'm afraid...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page