Renault Master 2008 2.5 ( Automatic-Yes or No?) - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 13:04 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
Renault Master 2008 2.5 ( Automatic-Yes or No?)

Hi All,

A van that I am interested in on the internet is based on the Renault Master 2.5 Turbo Diesel with Automatic Gearbox. I have never owned an automatic of any kind so am a bit wary of going down that route. So,

1. Are there any specific issues I should know about regarding the gearbox on the above vehicle?

2. Are automatics more/less trouble?

3. Are automatics more/less expensive to maintain?

4. Are questions 2 and 3 impossible to answer because they fall into the "how long is a piece of string category?"

I would be really thankful for any comments because the van in question ticks all the boxes in all other respects.

Caulkhead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 13:25

My Motorhome: LMC
Personal Aire
Our last van had that engine/gearbox and we had no problem. Only did about 13000 miles but only had it for 18 months. It was the size that we could not get away with (PVC) not the motor. I must say the the 180 3ltr. Fiat auto we have now is smoother though. Could be the difference between the Euro 4 and 5 but don't really know.

As you can tell am not really technically minded. All that matters to m is that it drives well - it did. Starts and keeps going when needed - it did. Not desperately thirsty - it wasn't.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Pat
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 13:39

I have a CI Cipro with the 2.5/120bhp engine and Quickshift "auto" box.

It has been hired out via an agency for the last 4 years and the only things it has had done have been 2 services the last one included the cambelt change and a N/S/F wheel bearing but only then be cause it was an advisory at the last MOT in May and I could hear it every time I drove it after that.

The box has been faultless, not the smoothest of changes if pushing it hard away from the lights but OK in normal use. It is a manual gearbox with an auto changer mechanism - it is NOT a torque converter automatic.

I reset the trip computer from time to time and regardless of who has driven it, home or abroad, whatever - the reading is always with 0.5mpg of 27mpg.

I fitted it with cruise control and when I use use it I enjoy the relaxed way it encourages you to drive, cruise control used with the auto box is about as good as it gets for touring.

PS It is currently on 32,000miles.

PPS My wife will no longer drive anything other than an auto.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 14:25

My Motorhome: Adria vision I707SG
I agree with stanner, had mine less than a year and about 5000 mile covered and I find it a delight to drive, the ECU adjusts to your driving habits over time and makes for a very relaxing drive,
You have a button for snow or heavily loaded that work well when needed,
If you want to shift the gears manually you can and of course you still have good engine braking with good economy unlike a torque converter based automatic,
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh
with good economy unlike a torque converter based automatic,
The "official" figures for the Quickshift box are actually higher than for the manual box.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 11:31

I've driven the X250 ducato 2.3L and Mk7 Ford Transit 2.2 TDCi, both of which I think drive slightly more car like than the Renault 2.5.

We've quickshift 6 and it's been no bother, 33,000 miles so far.
Touching wood, no parts needed other than cambelt [5 years old] and discs and pads.

Since having the truck remapped it's quieter and smoother, fuel economy hasn't really changed.

I will say that the renault feels perhaps slightly more basic/heavy than the above mentioned, but it also feels stronger!

I would be hard pushed to get back into a manual truck now, especially when doing the big run down to Millau with the cruise on!

hth

w
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 15:31

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Re: Renault Master 2008 2.5 ( Automatic-Yes or No?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulkhead
Hi All,

A van that I am interested in on the internet is based on the Renault Master 2.5 Turbo Diesel with Automatic Gearbox. I have never owned an automatic of any kind so am a bit wary of going down that route. So,

1. Are there any specific issues I should know about regarding the gearbox on the above vehicle?

2. Are automatics more/less trouble?

3. Are automatics more/less expensive to maintain?

4. Are questions 2 and 3 impossible to answer because they fall into the "how long is a piece of string category?"

I would be really thankful for any comments because the van in question ticks all the boxes in all other respects.

Caulkhead
I had a Master with the quickshift 6 robotic gearbox. It ran fine and no problems with it's operation but I found it hung onto a gear a bit too long for my liking when changing up. It is no real problem as a nudge on the + position on the gear stick forced a change.
There are things that can make the system loose all of its auto functions. In my case it was glow plug failure, two out of the four. The engine ecu tells the gearbox to revert to manual operation only.
There is only limited technical expertise within the trade on these boxes and it required a trip to a Renault truck dealership to diagnose and fix it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc
it required a trip to a Renault truck dealership to diagnose and fix it.
With a Master it is always worth using a truck dealership as they invariably use the Master for their own vans and know far more about them than car dealers, who don't usually deal with anything bigger than a Trafic.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 16:19

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayc
it required a trip to a Renault truck dealership to diagnose and fix it.
With a Master it is always worth using a truck dealership as they invariably use the Master for their own vans and know far more about them than car dealers, who don't usually deal with anything bigger than a Trafic.
The truck dealers will not carry out any warranty works unless the Truck Network has supplied them to the MH converter. They look up on their database and can tell whether the truck or car / van divisions supplied them. They will of course carry out non warranty works but they can be more expensive that the car dealerships.
When I took my Master into them in 2008 they had not seen one fitted with a quickshift gearbox before and I had to show them how to drive it in semi auto. They did diagnose the faulty glow plug as the culprits but I suspect this was due to some phone calls to their support backup organisation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in