Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Renault (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/152-renault/)
-   -   Renault Master Warning lights come on while driving? (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/152-renault/103644-renault-master-warning-lights-come-while-driving.html)

andrewball1000 04-10-2012 13:12

Renault Master Warning lights come on while driving?

This is the 2007 150 engine.

The lights that come on are the SERV light and the Preheating and Electronic Incident and water present in fuel warning light.

This only happens occasionally and has been while driving at a higher continuous speed such as on a motorway sometimes on a rising slope eg load. The engine looses power. As soon as you stop and turn the ignition off and on again the lights go out and the engine runs normally.

It happened about four times earlier this year while driving 7000 miles in Europe and I put it down to dirty fuel.

I had the MH serviced last week and they replaced the fuel filter when I told them about it. However, this week it has happened twice on the motorway to and from Dover. The return journey being well loaded with wine up hill and at full (legal) speed!

The handbook says that if it comes on while driving it indicates an electrical or electronic fault or that water is present in the fuel.

Before I go back to a dealer I would be interested in other peoples suggestions/experiences

Thanks

camallison 04-10-2012 13:55

I have had exactly the same symptoms on the same age and engine Master. My Renault Trucks service place has told me to ignore it - it is certainly water in the fuel and we have both tried to drain it through the fuel filter drain.

I don't suffer the drop in power, but the lights are on all the time now.

The important thing is that the service place put it in their report - not to worry.

Colin

andrewball1000 04-10-2012 14:18

Thanks Colin, that is very good to know.

In my case I do get a loss of power when the lights are on and do have have to stop to switch off and on again. This is difficult on Motorways.

The engine is fine after. It as if the EMU is causing the engine to run differently rather than the fault it detected which makes no sense to me.

camallison 04-10-2012 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewball1000
Thanks Colin, that is very good to know.

In my case I do get a loss of power when the lights are on and do have have to stop to switch off and on again. This is difficult on Motorways.

The engine is fine after. It as if the EMU is causing the engine to run differently rather than the fault it detected which makes no sense to me.

It could be the EGR valve then - it gets coked up and sticks in the open position. No end of diagnostics will show it though. To get at it on the Master is quite a job with a lot having to be taken off the front of the engine just to get at it. A visit to your local Renault Trucks service depot might help - the vans and cars end of Renault normally don't have a clue - you need the heavy commercial vehicles people.

I use Thompsons Commercials in Billingham on Teesside - have a look and see who is your local firm.

Colin

[EDIT - Renault Trucks in Bennet Road, Reading will probably be able to help you.]

andrewball1000 04-10-2012 19:02

Colin, thanks very much. I will give them a ring.

Stanner 04-10-2012 19:20

This, along with DPF (diesel particulate filter) clogging, is often a penalty of giving your engine an easy life.

Gentle driving means the EGR valve is open most of the time and as a result can clog and stay open when it should close.
Similarly gentle driving means the DPF gets clogged with particulates but doesn't get properly regenerated.

Your occasional hard use up the hills etc. probably pushes the engine past the point when the EGR should be closed and perhaps it isn't closing properly and the ECU is picking that up and going into "safe" (or "limp home" mode).

I'd be inclined to try what is known in the trade as an "Italian Tune up".

Drive it hard with plenty of revs (not just up hill) for a while.

andrewball1000 04-10-2012 19:39

Thanks Stanner. That explanation fits the circumstances very well as most of my driving is on back country roads and this has usually happened just as I have gone onto a motorway for a longish period and opened her up for the first in a long time.

GEOMAR 04-10-2012 20:49

renault master warning lignts

I also have a 2007 motorhome on renault master 150 ( autotrail miami ) and I dont have any of the 3 warning lights that andrew mentions
GEOMAR

camallison 04-10-2012 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanner
This, along with DPF (diesel particulate filter) clogging, is often a penalty of giving your engine an easy life.

Gentle driving means the EGR valve is open most of the time and as a result can clog and stay open when it should close.
Similarly gentle driving means the DPF gets clogged with particulates but doesn't get properly regenerated.

Your occasional hard use up the hills etc. probably pushes the engine past the point when the EGR should be closed and perhaps it isn't closing properly and the ECU is picking that up and going into "safe" (or "limp home" mode).

I'd be inclined to try what is known in the trade as an "Italian Tune up".

Drive it hard with plenty of revs (not just up hill) for a while.

Couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.

Colin

camallison 04-10-2012 20:52

Re: renault master warning lignts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEOMAR
I also have a 2007 motorhome on renault master 150 ( autotrail miami ) and I dont have any of the 3 warning lights that andrew mentions
GEOMAR

Then it may not be a "2007" engine, even though the motorhome is 2007. The EGR problem started with emissions controls added very late 2006/early 2007, according to my Renault Trucks man.

Colin