Vw T5 Clutch Failed - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 20:54 Thread Starter

Bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelathae
A clutch kit for a T5 should cost no more than £250 from a parts supplier so try an alternative garage.
Its a T5 - not a Polo...

It will come with the flywheel etc and £800 - 1000 is not uncommon - its £800 for the Golf...
Paul,

It is a T5, not a T1!

Should not be so unreliable and as such would then not cost a vast fortune in repairs.

TM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 21:40

My Motorhome: Hymer Starline 510
Personal Aire
Re: Bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemyob
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelathae
A clutch kit for a T5 should cost no more than £250 from a parts supplier so try an alternative garage.
Its a T5 - not a Polo...

It will come with the flywheel etc and £800 - 1000 is not uncommon - its £800 for the Golf...
Paul,

It is a T5, not a T1!

Should not be so unreliable and as such would then not cost a vast fortune in repairs.

TM
I agree mate - T5's were raved about when new however users soon realised that the T4 was/is the better and more reliable van

My mechanic son even rolls his eyes at the cost of some clutch kits - I know of a high mile Mondeo estate about 08 plate that was deemed an uneconomic repair as it needed a clutch at £1600 ...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 22:46 Thread Starter

Autos

That is why I like Auto's

And why I am looking to replace my Sprinter Auto Traveliner with the New 7G-Tronic if Mercedes Salesmen can pull their fingers out.

TM

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 23:47

My Motorhome: Hymer Starline 510
Personal Aire
Our T4 is an auto. I was doubtful at first but for the type of vehicle it is the best option. On the way down here with cruise control I could concentrate on where I was going and occasionally enjoy the view also.

My lad says the box would be pricey to fix but at worrst he could convert it to manual...

...with still only 27000 on the clock we have little to worry about
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 Thread Starter

Ever

Quote:
Our T4 is an auto. I was doubtful at first but for the type of vehicle it is the best option. On the way down here with cruise control I could concentrate on where I was going and occasionally enjoy the view also.

My lad says the box would be pricey to fix but at worrst he could convert it to manual...

...with still only 27000 on the clock we have little to worry about
It will go on for ever.

Would not cross a T4 off any future lists.

Happy and Safe travels.

Trev.

PS: Poynton traffic is better. But why not build the bypass first?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 23-07-2014, 19:30

VW T5 clutch

My 2007 T5 - 5cylinder 2.5 version. (120.000mls - long distance trips) has just failed. Had to use VW parts as all local suppliers could not clarify what was required. Total cost £1.800,-- including VAT. Damage included the splines to the drive shaft. VW offered an up=graded version (thus one must assume that a problem existed). As a long standing customer with other vehicles, my garage (DCM) helped with the invoice otherwise would have cost more. German engineering?????
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 23-07-2014, 21:38

My Motorhome: Hymer exsis-i 562 (Ford)
My 2005 2.5 failed at 3 years 150,000 miles, but disintergrated causing a repair quote of £4000!!!!!!! I walked away from it but bought another one since I needed a replacement there and then Last VW I buy. Overpriced and poorly made now, still trading on the aircooled reputation. BTW about 120000 of the miles on my first van were about 2500rpm on cruise control on empty nightime continental motorways, so i don't think the clutch/flywheel should have gone when it did.

Malcolm
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 24-07-2014, 10:51

t5 clutch failed

I have a t4 Bilbo camper I have had it 10 years. Apart from servicing and tyres it has had very little spent on it. I use it as a daily driver it was purchased by selling my Range Rover there is an unreliable car it spent all its time at the dealers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page