Iveco 50C15 Rear Air Suspension,, A Question Please - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 28-03-2013, 16:56

Autocruise Colt air suspension

As far as I know this is not an original Iveco system. From what I've learnt, it is an addon installed by Autocruise when they built the Colt. There are two pressure gauges just behind the driver's seat each with a Schraeder valve for pumping up the pressure. Autocruise bought the Kuhn air suspension system from a firm called LVS in Daventry. The bellows itself has Torpress 23B written on it which seems to be something made by Pirelli. LVS say it's no longer made - but they mean that Kuhn no longer supply this system. The bellows on one side of the motorhome has a pressure leak, so I'm driving around with one side working and the other not. I'm hoping to get a smoother ride if the broken side can be repaired. Getting level on a sloping pitch would be brilliant too !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 28-03-2013, 18:01

Re: kuhn air suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis62
I have an autocruise colt 2006 built on an Iveco Daily chassis with a Kuhn air suspension unit. On one side the bellows leaks. My local garage tells me that the bellows are no longer available. Does anyone know whether that is correct and is there an alternative solution ?
Is it the Bellows that are leaking , or where the Bellows sit ,often there is a leak either between the top plate its connected too or leaks around the pston where the airbag moves up and down on ? if so when air bag is removed ,(fairly easy job ,Switch off engine apply Handbrake ,chock wheels that are not being removed , remove one end of shock absorber fault side (both sides if jacking up both sides of vehicle) jack up Chassis high placing / adjusting support / safety stands as you jack up chassis .
Drain out air if need be , sometimes airbag gets stuck to mounting plate or piston , after removeing bag if leak was at top check top plate for rust holes and get it welded up , we used to have leaks on 17 and 24 tonne trucks and found if airbag was not holed we removed airbag checked top mounting and piston for hole . if no holes cleaned up rust from bag and from piston and plate ( now this you may think is a bodge ,probaly is ! but it works apply flexible gasket cement to top plate and piston if they are a bit rough ,reassemble.

Please, please don't attempt this repair if you are not competant , p.s. If it's actually the air bag go round motor factors ,or , breakers yard but check for cracks if seconhand .

if you don't understand above PM me

Tony A.

Trust is a Wonderful Thing .
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 31-03-2013, 09:09

airbag suspension

Thanks Tony,
I asked a mechanic to investigate where the air was leaking from. He didn't do that but removed the bellows, thinking he could install a new one, but then found he couldn't get one. I've looked at the bellows and think you're right: although the wire rope around the middle of the bellows has a broken strand (it's a double bellows with Torpress 23B written on it), there's no sign of damage inside the bellows, but there's lots of rust around the top so it was probably leaking around the top plate. All I need now is to find a mechanic who will clean up the top plate, apply some gasket sealant, and reassemble everything. Anyone know a good mechanic in the Cambridge /Royston area who can work underneath a motorhome?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 14:51

I done some research about your airbag 2of my old Motot factors I tried could not get them , but one said usually even if the air bag is ok it's usually found on disassembling that the bottom and top plates usually need replacing as they get very rusty and most people modify and fit a whole different airbag kit to both sides.
I also phoned Pirreli Tyres head office as I could not find their airbag dept. they said they franchised this out but don't know if the folowing company still do their airbags co. name Consberg ,tel no .01283 492000 , I tried them on your behalf but only got answer phones , maybe cloesed for Easter , ps if you have got a steel wire showing I suspect you should not use it

Tony A .

Trust is a Wonderful Thing .
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 18:25

Thanks for the hard work and info. It's driven ok from Cambridge to Kendal. So maybe I'll just do without for the time being !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page