Transmission (gearbox) Oil Replacement on 2005 Fiat 2.8 JTD - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 14:36 Thread Starter

Transmission (gearbox) Oil Replacement on 2005 Fiat 2.8 JTD

Having read many reviews on both here and the Fiat forum regarding the best way to replace transmission, gearbox oil, I managed to replace mine on a 2005 Hymer B524, Fiat 2.8 JTD over the weekend.

I managed to obtain the correct oil as per Fiat specification, Tutela, ZC 75 Synth., SAE 75W/85 (full synthetic) but only from a main Fiat dealer.
Cost for 3 Ltrs. including VAT was £28.00..
Could not find any other oil to the "exact" spec., so was happy to pay the Fiat main dealer in the end for the real stuff.

Getting the oil out is absolutely no problem, drain plug at bottom of casing, need a 8mm. square key or socket adaptor for the plug.
May have to jack up one front wheel slightly or drive up on ramps / planks to obtain sufficient clearance for a drain container.
It`s best to measure the oil quantity removed, mine was 2.5 Ltrs. approx., in theory should have been 2.7 Ltrs..

Getting the new oil in, not so easy !
Note, there is no sight glass or filler plug level as such, all the old oil is drained and the correct quantity of new oil is added.

There are a number of excellent posts regarding this on this forum and the Fiat forum, some with photos, very helpful.
The general consensus of opinion was to fill the gearbox via. the reversing switch mounting hole although Fiat I believe recommend filling by the "breather plug" mounted on the top of the gearbox casing.
Neither of these points are easy to get at especially on an "A" class m.home with smaller engine opening.

I found it best to fully remove the air filter complete body tying back the bottom air hose to reveal the top of the gearbox.
I could now just about see the reversing switch but there was no way I could get the electrical connector off to remove the switch, it was tucked away behind the engine mounting bracket.

Then I discovered the gearbox vent cap, more to the center of the engine and much more accessible.
The top cap came off this easily with finger pressure only required.
Their appeared to be a good fluid path to the gearbox, approx. 1/2" diameter.

I had on hand, a 13" length of 1/2" OD / 3/8" ID clear plastic tubing, bottom end fitted the vent plug hole perfectly, top end attached to a small plastic funnel.

Very slowly, 2.7 Ltrs. of oil was added to transmission, not difficult with the clearance produced by the air cleaner filter body housing but slow, allowing the air to relieve up the tube after every "slug".

Most people report that Fiat stipulates 2 Ltrs. of oil, 2.7 Lrts. is widely recommended to ensure lubrication of the fifth gear cogs as this was a common point of failure on the 2.8 JTD models.
My vehicle handbook actually states 2.7 Ltrs. for transmission.

The job is not as daunting as I thought, the most difficult part of the operation in my case being getting the top cover off the air cleaner housing, this should not be as difficult on a coach built van.

Hopefully this information will be of use to anyone contemplating this activity on a similar vehicle.
raynipper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-01-2020, 11:08

My Motorhome: I drive...
Yes....I have been searching for such an article.

Funny...as I havnt been able to find any other post on this for our model vehicle!
Perhaps I need to use the search function more.

I am still wet behind the ears with this van! a ducato newbie...
which is rapidly changing as i attempt to change the CV joint boot.

Turns out I have to pull the right axles out...which means drain the auto trans and refill.

I do not have that Tutela available. But I have an equivalent ATF....the specs look correct.

Never owned an auto trans before so this step is done with trepidation and lots of research first.
I havn't rushed into this job!

2006 Fiat Ducato LWB Maxi 2.8 JTD x244
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-01-2020, 13:52

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Peter that article is referring to a manual gearbox.

Where are you in the world? and where did your van originate from??? (country)

John

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-01-2020, 14:03

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Tiffy

I have a FIAT 2.8Jtd, same engine.

you wrote

"Most people report that Fiat stipulates 2 Ltrs. of oil, 2.7 Lrts. is widely recommended to ensure lubrication of the fifth gear cogs as this was a common point of failure on the 2.8 JTD models.
My vehicle handbook actually states 2.7 Ltrs. for transmission."

This is indeed a good idea. Additionaly I have seen advice to not select 5th gear until the gearbox oil is warm to assist the splash lubrication of 5th, so I do not select it before the engine is up to working temperature.

Also having a re-mapped engine I keep the revs in 5th to 2100rpm or more, to avoid strain on the drive train including the clutch. It is early days so far, as engine has done only 53,000 miles, mostly on M/Ways, Autobahns, but I am trying to look after all the running gear.

Geoff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-01-2020, 14:47

Geoff, don't know if OP is still around his post is from 2010.

John.

John
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-01-2020, 17:27

Hi John.

Australia. Gday mate!
It is the RH drive version.

I do have a 2006 Ducato 2.8 JTD with auto transmission.

Good point. I did assume he was tallking Autotrans like mine.

When I read the OP post, it sounded similar to my auto transmission.
eg. the location of the ZF auto transmission located passenger side of engine bay.

Mine is the auto with sequential manual shift.
I think this was the forerunner to the 6 speed Comformatic gearbox?

Think I have the ZF4-HP20 auto gearbox.
The volume of ATF fluid says 8.3l in my fiat owners manual.
I got a ZF4-HP20 auto trans manual and it says Up to 3l drain of ATF fluid.
Hence the 2.5-2.7 OP mentioned sounded about right.

I cannot see the actual ZF gearbox code yet as it is obscured in the engine bay by the air filter box and various pipes from the intake.
But his comments...sounded same as my Maxi VAN.

This has all arisen from me having to replace a split rh side CV boot.
I have been avoiding pulling the whole right axle...as it meant a ATF oil change approx 30K early!
Was trying to just do the RH drive shaft/axle and leave the intermediate axle in the auto gearbox. ( thus delaying the ATF job until it is really needed)

Of course...we have bushfires all around Australia , hasn't rained in 10 months and where does it decide to bloody rain just when I have half the van apart?....outside! lol

I have been stuck .... separating the intermediate axle from the rh axle as it won't separate out of the cup.
Cannot work out why?
I followed Fiat eLearn manual ... but it seems to fall short .... the service guide I have.

Anyway, Are you sure OP was not talking about the Auto transmission model?
It does sound similar/same as mine.

I will remove my airbox as i need to confirm my Auto Transmission model .... I need to anyway if i am ever going to do an ATF oil change.
I cannot see things like the auto dipstick.
Cannot see the Breather plug others refer to.
I need to remove the items OP Tiffy said to see my Auto tranny better.
I do spy a blue knob/cap on the top about the size of a £1 coin . Hoping that is a modified dipstick? Unsure at this stage as that is not in the ZF manual either.

It's a magical mystery tour it seems!

I certainly need to find out.
I cannot really put it off any longer. ...in case it really decides to really rain here.

If anyone has any other info on this gearbox, it would be great!
This is a VERY technical vehicle...for a van!
They must drive their vans very fast in Italy! lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200116_173948.jpg (415.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200116_173724.jpg (330.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200115_144849.jpg (284.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by vanKwished; 16-01-2020 at 17:56.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-01-2020, 18:01

They drive everything very fast in Italy - if it’s got an engine - thrash it!

MHO.

www.motorhomeowners.org

WWW . MOTORHOMEOWNERS .ORG

http://www.motorhomeowners.org/

100% FREE and NO ADVERTS

Never yet met a Yank I couldn't take an immediate dislike to, and the way this forum is going I’ll add those a bit northwards too.

Burstner Nexxo T660
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-01-2020, 18:17

Ok ... I now have to stop and recheck.

Note....My VAN is the auto transmission. ( I could see how people could be getting fill levels wrong)

My manual says 2.7L with Tutela Matryx for the Transaxle.
I was thinking that was the rear axle and not the gearbox?
But the rear axle sounds wrong...

Wow...this transaxle looks to be connected to the gearbox?
It sounds like there are two different fluids here...with different volumes!

The manual does mention two different fluids.

My manual says 8.2L for the auto gearbox.
But I will measure what comes out. If there is a dipstick, I will use it also. I expect around 2.5-3L? (note. this is not in the Fiat owners manual that I have or in Fiat eLearn that I have.)

I see said the blind man to his deaf wife!

2006 Fiat Ducato LWB Maxi 2.8 JTD x244

Last edited by vanKwished; 16-01-2020 at 18:53.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 16-01-2020, 20:25

I'm a bit out of my depth with this one!

I wasn't aware that they ever used a true auto box with torque converter which is what the box (ZF4-HP20) you quote is.
You also mention that yours has " sequential manual shift", which doesn't sound like a true auto box.

The oil you drained out, what does it look, smell like? Is it red colour and very thin almost watery, or is it slightly thicker than engine oil and smells a bit like cats pee?

A transaxle is simply the term for a combined gearbox and differential unit and unless a four wheel drive always front wheel drive.

To go back to your problem of splitting your CV joint, normally you need to turn the outer part as far as you can and then with a twisting pulling motion the inner race will come out, then remove the circlip pull off the bearing carrier and change the boot.

John
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-01-2020, 09:24

Having done a bit of research I now know that vans were made with the transmission option you mention, I've never actually seen one (not that, that is really relevant though).
I've not managed to find any meaningful information on it just a couple of references on the Fiat forum.

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/294...2=#post2970026

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/454...ox-manual.html

Sorry I've not been much help.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page