Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Engine Oil Drain Plug

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  FreedomFinders 
#1 ·
Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following issue.
I put to much engine oil into my 1998 2.5TDI Ducato,i now need to drain some of the ENGINE oil out, so was wondering if someone could let me know exactly where the drain plug is,as i dont want to drain the gear box oil out by mistake,also if you could tell me where the gear box oil plug is as well , this would be a great help.
Wolfy

#2 ·
Hi,
The engine drain plug is in the tin pan directly under the engine, usually towards the back. On a Fiat you need a special Allen key type tool to remove it. These are available from most motorist stores. The only easy way to correct your problem is to drain out all of the oil into a clean container, big enough to hold at least 10 litres. This is best done when the engine is warm. Then replace the bung and refill with the correct amount. Any other way can get extremely messy!!
You do not need to worry about the gearbox, as the oil does not need changing. I f you remove the wrong plug from the gearbox, you could be in for a big bill!!
Colin

#3 ·
Hi Colin
Thanks very much for your help with my Engine Oil drain plug and Gear box plug which i know now to leave.
I wasnt thinking of draining all the Engine oil out,i was just going to loosen the drain plug till i got a small run of oil passing through the threads of the drain plug,my guess is that i only have 1 litre off oil over the maximum.
If i do drain all the engine oil out i would replace with new engine oil,how many letres would i need, also would i need a new sealer washer for the drain plug ?
Thanks Again
Garry

#5 ·
Hi Garry,
trying to get a litre of oil to drain by lettting it drip will take an awfully long time. Also just when you think the bung is loose enough, it comes out, that is when it gets messy!! If you try to put it back in the oil will spray everywhere, mostly over you.
Drain it out, change the filter and forget about it for another year. As already said, fit a new seal and check your handbook for the correct quantity, 6 litres sounds good, may need a bit more with a filter change.
Good luck,
Colin

#11 ·
He was a member for a year and made 43 posts. Perhaps he decided there were better forums or better things to do with his time. It is amazing that this statistical information is retained on the forum and what purpose is served by retaining it for 10 years or more.

#12 ·
So you can look it up Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.