Motorhome Facts Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiat Water Ingress - Fiat Solution

85K views 73 replies 22 participants last post by  1happy 
#1 ·
This information is published courtesy of Fiat UK (and thx to Swift for the fast information)

As dedicated Fiat professional teams in Italy and UK we are aware of some customer complaints regarding water ingress into the engine compartment which is causing concern. Although this is unsightly there is no adverse short or long term technical effect on the operation of the engine or associated components.

However, understanding our customers concerns, Fiat have developed a solution to this problem that addresses both the cause and effect.

For more information we kindly ask you to call our dedicated motorhome customer care centre from Monday 1st October on 00800 3428 1111 or 0039 0244412160.

We apologise for the delay in resolving this issue but this has been due to the time required for testing and approving the solution and having the necessary parts available in order to put this into effect.

We will ensure that every motorhome affected is completely rectified in order that you may continue to enjoy your Fiat motorhome experience.

See less See more
#52 ·
Gerald,they are all built in the same factory the only difference with LHD vehicles because of the different wiper set up is that the drain hole is in the centre just right of the joint.For certain Fiat will sort it but in their own time.I bet I am first in the que at the NEC!!!!

So would one half of a scuttle from a LHD fit to a RHD if so having 2 drains would help,but the main culpit is the centre join and for this country with RHD and road camber thw water always attacks the seal.

Any pictures of a LHD

#53 ·
Swift Fix

urbanracer said:
Gerald,they are all built in the same factory the only difference with LHD vehicles because of the different wiper set up is that the drain hole is in the centre just right of the joint.For certain Fiat will sort it but in their own time.I bet I am first in the que at the NEC!!!!

So would one half of a scuttle from a LHD fit to a RHD if so having 2 drains would help,but the main culpit is the centre join and for this country with RHD and road camber thw water always attacks the seal.

Any pictures of a LHD
That would be a sensible solution.What we have come up with is a fix for the camber problem and the passenger side drain hole using John Guest fittings.When I have the photos I will post them.Peter.

#54 ·
Hi Gerald

Looking at your photos I reckon the gap in your join is actually a gap in the sealant that someone (maybe the dealer) has used to try to seal the join. I got my van in May before the dung hit the fan, and there was no sealant at all. The two halves simply overlapped, and fitted where they touched which was not all that often :!: :!:

I've done a fix on mine as a temporary measure if you are interested. I cut a strip of black felt about 4cm wide and glued it along the length of the join with Evostick. Being felt it is matt black and doesn't look too bad, the Evostick forms a waterproof membrane and is easy(ish) to peel off when a permanent solution appears.

It has been hissing down for hours here, and I just lifted the bonnet to check how successful it is :oops: . My fix is just dripping very slowly so I'm nearly there, but the engine compartment is still nothing like watertight in several other places round the edge of the bonnet. It's splashes from a number of drips rather than a torrent, but still not good news.

Cheers

Dave

#55 ·
Hello Peter (Swift Group)

Firstly thank you for all your efforts on everyone's behalf.

I shall be interested to see your photos of the John Guest fittings.

I think I've found another potentially serious water problem that nobody else seems to have noticed. I hope I'm wrong, but will deliberately start a new thread to grab attention. Assuming it's raining almost everywhere this will be a good time for those who can to pop outside and check their vans.

I hope there will be a flood of responses saying I have got it wrong :!: :!: but I don't think I have.

New thread will appear shortly.

Cheers

Dave

#56 ·
Sanatogen said:
Looking at your photos I reckon the gap in your join is actually a gap in the sealant that someone (maybe the dealer) has used to try to seal the join.
Hi, Dave,

Maybe you're right. I certainly made them aware of the problem several weeks before I picked it up. Just waiting for a reply to my email now.

Since heavy rain was forecast today, I went out and put the extra long Taylormade silver screen on this morning. Despite the responsibility of the dealer, and ultimately, Fiat, to fix the problem, I don't want it getting any worse.

Your idea is good - a temporary repair which can be removed at a later date. Not ideal, but worth doing.

Gerald

#60 ·
Fiat solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re the original post on this thread?
Has anyone got the Fiat letter or knows what the letter says re the "announcement" :?:
I have followed the instructions to phone them and got the runaround and now due to the postal strike am still waiting :roll:
Does anyone know :?:

#62 ·
Hi,

Been away on business from last Wednesday until last night.

Just checked my emails and found a message from my local Fiat dealer.

This now leaves me very confused!!!

Message as follows.....
Sorry for the delay in replying to your ‘E’ Mail,I have been away, just returned today. We have now been instructed by Fiat to seal the scuttle panel, the cover however is not designed for your version of Ducato and we are unable to ascertain from Fiat if or when a cover will become available.
If you could let me know when your vehicle is available I can make the necessary arrangements to seal the scuttle panel .
End message......

So just what is the Fiat fix? I thought they had designed a cover?

#64 ·
Fiat solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

urbanracer said:
I have pics of the 2.2 and 3L cover someone posted today that Brownhills had fitted a cover to his 3L.
And Peter of Swift group has said his new stoclk of chassis cabs have covers.
Re:- some-where-in-oxford's post above urbanracers and the contrast with the quote above :?
just a thought but maybe we wont get engine covers because they are busy fitting them to
A/ Production models
B/ Dealer forecourt models
C/ Anything going to the NEC or any other show for fear of buyers wanting to take a peak under the bonnet :roll:
So there are non left for us mushrooms! :cry:

#65 ·
Re: Fiat solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1happy said:
urbanracer said:
I have pics of the 2.2 and 3L cover someone posted today that Brownhills had fitted a cover to his 3L.
And Peter of Swift group has said his new stoclk of chassis cabs have covers.
Re:- some-where-in-oxford's post above urbanracers and the contrast with the quote above :?
just a thought but maybe we wont get engine covers because they are busy fitting them to
A/ Production models
B/ Dealer forecourt models
C/ Anything going to the NEC or any other show for fear of buyers wanting to take a peak under the bonnet :roll:
So there are non left for us mushrooms! :cry:
You could be right there mate.I wouldn`t put anything past them.FiART that is. :D

#67 ·
Urbanracer said
We could all become co-operative motorhome mushroom growers.
Damn good idea Urban.

I'll grow some Russula Emetica and send a box to Fiat for their executive breakfasts. :twisted: :twisted:

No charge of course. I'm a generous sort of chap!

The common name for R. Emetica is "The Sickener". It wouldn't cause serious illness, but the kings of industry would spend quite a while sitting on a different throne for a day or two :D :D

#68 ·
Just phoned Fiat help line. Customer care person says that there is no fix at the moment. However Fiat dealers have been instructed to remove present rust and apply a product to prevent further rust forming. She also informed me that Fiat do phased recalls to prevent their dealer workshops from being overloaded. Further, a recall was imminent.

Make of that what you will.

I don't have a rust problem at the moment, but have lightly sprayed the injector area with WD40 as a preventative measure.

#69 ·
Thanks to this Forum I found out that my brand new MH ( Swift 645 3ltr) is subject to a recall for a gearbox problem!

This has now been booked in for next week through the local dealer , who knows nothing about the water ingress problem!

Have contacted the Fiat help line and requested that they get the details to the dealer prior to next week so they are aware of situation and also, hopefully, might take action to resolve ( not holding my breath).

After this spoke to the MH dealer, he did not know about gearbox recall, I've given him VIN numbers affected, he also is still not aware of water problem!
He agreed to speak to his Fiat contact in Southampton, who has confirmed that they are aware of it and are expecting Fiat to contact individuals!!
So some seem to be aware, others not.

I cannot understand why Fiat have not sent out a bulletin to all dealers informing them of the situation, despite admitting as such on their web site and committing to resolve.

I suspect as others have indicated that unless individuals take this up themselves it will be left to see what reaction they get. Resulting in potential tortuous warranty claims in the future, devaluation of MHs and general hassle for those concerned.

I am really disappointed about all this. I cannot fault the Swift aspect of the MH, but the Fiat part is taking the edge of it big time.

#70 ·
Noted

DC4JC said:
Thanks to this Forum I found out that my brand new MH ( Swift 645 3ltr) is subject to a recall for a gearbox problem!

This has now been booked in for next week through the local dealer , who knows nothing about the water ingress problem!

Have contacted the Fiat help line and requested that they get the details to the dealer prior to next week so they are aware of situation and also, hopefully, might take action to resolve ( not holding my breath).

After this spoke to the MH dealer, he did not know about gearbox recall, I've given him VIN numbers affected, he also is still not aware of water problem!
He agreed to speak to his Fiat contact in Southampton, who has confirmed that they are aware of it and are expecting Fiat to contact individuals!!
So some seem to be aware, others not.

I cannot understand why Fiat have not sent out a bulletin to all dealers informing them of the situation, despite admitting as such on their web site and committing to resolve.

I suspect as others have indicated that unless individuals take this up themselves it will be left to see what reaction they get. Resulting in potential tortuous warranty claims in the future, devaluation of MHs and general hassle for those concerned.

I am really disappointed about all this. I cannot fault the Swift aspect of the MH, but the Fiat part is taking the edge of it big time.
Yours and everyone elses including non Swift owners comments are noted and i will be meeting Fiat again at the NEC to make this point.We have taken matters into our own hands and trying to come up with a fix for all the issues that can be retro fitted to tied you over until as such time they sort it once and for all.Peter.

#71 ·
DC4JC said:
Exactly how I feel about our Chausson.

And Spaceflower ( :wink: ) - I can understand Fiat's point about phased recalls, but what they don't say is what we're supposed to do in the meantime. Our friends in Somerset have had another email from me overnight, asking this exact question, and I feel it's up to them to find out for me.

The problem with people going to the Fiat helpline directly (and it's perfectly understandable) is that the dealers and motorhome manufacturers don't realise how many people are aware of this problem, and how important it is that we consider that it should be addressed quickly. The bigger the people are hassling Fiat, the more they're likely to do something now rather than (much) later.

And did I read somewhere that brand new Swifts are now appearing with mods done to them? How did this happen? Peter? Are you there? So far, the only mod we've seen was the one done by Brownhills, and we have no idea whether this was official or a Brownhills job. If it's the latter, then surely our dealers should now be in a position to do likewise.

And finally (Esther ...) I'll bet all the Ducato-based motorhomes being shown at the NEC next week have shiny new injector covers and sealed scuttles to show off, and Fiat will say "Leak? No, we fixed that ages ago."

Gerald

Peter (SwiftGroup) - our posts overlapped

#72 ·
Correct

geraldandannie said:
DC4JC said:
Exactly how I feel about our Chausson.

And Spaceflower ( :wink: ) - I can understand Fiat's point about phased recalls, but what they don't say is what we're supposed to do in the meantime. Our friends in Somerset have had another email from me overnight, asking this exact question, and I feel it's up to them to find out for me.

The problem with people going to the Fiat helpline directly (and it's perfectly understandable) is that the dealers and motorhome manufacturers don't realise how many people are aware of this problem, and how important it is that we consider that it should be addressed quickly. The bigger the people are hassling Fiat, the more they're likely to do something now rather than (much) later.

And did I read somewhere that brand new Swifts are now appearing with mods done to them? How did this happen? Peter? Are you there? So far, the only mod we've seen was the one done by Brownhills, and we have no idea whether this was official or a Brownhills job. If it's the latter, then surely our dealers should now be in a position to do likewise.

And finally (Esther ...) I'll bet all the Ducato-based motorhomes being shown at the NEC next week have shiny new injector covers and sealed scuttles to show off, and Fiat will say "Leak? No, we fixed that ages ago."

Gerald

Peter (SwiftGroup) - our posts overlapped
Gerald,you guessed right all our product will have covers and I suspect other manufacturers will have them as well!There is no official fix for the gutter but we have something on test now for the sealing,camber and small drain hole problem I also believe our competitors are monitoring the sight so that will get them motivated to do the same????Peter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.