Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Ducato 96 2.5 TDI not firing

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  weldted 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am hoping to find an answer to this mystery..Our 96 Ducato, 2.5 TDI, has always been a great starter and runner. Two weeks ago whilst on holiday in France, we had one day if torrential rain.The following morning she started as usual but as i had to manœuvre my way out , as i reversed and than advanced again she all of a sudden stalled...Never to start again..I have checked fuel getting to the injectors as mentioned somewhere on a previous post, checked for the illusive panic stop button behind the battery, tried quick start..With a staring fuel she will try to run but as soon as I stop starting fuel in she stalls..At first I thought there might be an electrical issue as there was quite some water on battery and near the fuse box under the hood.. But everything elcteical seems to work.. The engine turns over but doesn't start, no 'key' light suggesting alarm issue is on, although the battery and oil lights stay on whilst starting....not sure if this is always the case as normally she starts in one or two turns so I don't even have time to notice it ..
Anybody out there who has encountered a similar issue? Any suggestions or knowledge of what this might be? There seems to be fuel getting to the injectors, the starter is good, the battery is giving good output..Someone suggested it might have been the timing belt having skipped a notch , but I find it slightly doubtful as there seems to be good tension on the belt.. Someone else suggested a faulty pump as she stalled from running very abruptly..But there is fuel getting to all injectors..
We were stranded at the campsite and the camper had to be towed away and is now somewhere in a garage in France and we are totally dependant on whatever they will tell us... Any suggestions more than welcome!
All the best Ronan

See less See more
#7 ·
You need the garage to check the spill timing, if (but rare) the belt has jumped / slipped and put the timing out. Unlikely as it could be three teeth out (late) and still run with a lot of smoke. Other things to try in case of bad fuel, is to empty the fuel filter and fill it with fresh fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.