2007 Fiat Ducato 3.0l ECU problem - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 10:46 Thread Starter

2007 Fiat Ducato 3.0l ECU problem

In need of some help from a Fiat savvy person. My 2007 Frankia A class won't start. The engine cranks and there is no battery issue. After trying to start, the Vehicle Protection System Failure warning light comes on (its an amber light with a vehicle outline with a padlock) and remains illuminated. I called a diagnostics expert to come and check for any error codes. He was unable to establish communication with the Engine Control Module. To quote "its as if the module has been removed". His advice was to send the unit off for a full diagnosis/reconditioning.

Trouble is neither he nor I were able to locate the unit other than that he said it is normally on the passenger side of the engine bay. Can someone advise me how to locate the unit and what if anything I need to remove to gain access? Because it is an A Class engine access is very restricted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 10:50

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Just an idea as I really have no knowledge of the van but could it be the 'immobiliser'. I hear of so many failed starts being the immobiliser.

Ray.
sheds likes this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life“s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 11:06 Thread Starter

The vehicle does have a third-party (Toad) immobiliser fitted. When "immobilised" the engine won't crank - on mine the engine does crank and the engineer (he is very good and diagnosed my ABS problem to a faulty connector on my dashboard diagnosis plug-in point) says that he is able to see the system but not to establish any communication with the ECU. If it is the Toad misbehaving (we did have problems with the alarm due to a faulty connection on the passenger side door actuator switch) I have no idea how to remove it from the equation!
raynipper likes this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 11:52

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheds View Post

Trouble is neither he nor I were able to locate the unit other than that he said it is normally on the passenger side of the engine bay. Can someone advise me how to locate the unit and what if anything I need to remove to gain access? Because it is an A Class engine access is very restricted.
It is in the engine bay behind, [i.e. nearer the cab] the engine fuse box. Photo attached. It is a LHD version but the ECU is in the same place. https://wiki.precisioncode.works/ind...o_Ecu_Location

Prior to attempting to start what lamps are on in the display, does the display go into the normal start up process? e.g. when the key is in the MAR position ? Do you hear the fuel pump priming, what do the gauges read?

Last edited by rayc; 12-04-2021 at 11:55.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 11:52

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Sheds the Fiat Forum has many with the knowledge you need.

Good luck.

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/

Terry

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
The Following User Says Thank You to dghr272 For This Useful Post:
sheds (12-04-2021)
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 12:47 Thread Starter

Thanks Ray. I just went to recheck what happens when i turn on the ignition. Initially all the lights come on then go out and the fuel gauge needle moves as expected. I am left with three warning lights illuminated:

1. The Low battery charge (which normally goes out when the engine kicks in)
2. Handbrake on light (for obvious reasons)
3. Vehicle protection system failure light remains on glowing steady

To be honest I don't ever hear the fuel pump from inside, but I will enlist the help of my wife to operate the ignition while I listen out. Meanwhile I am waiting for the last bits of snow to clear before I have a go in the engine bay
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 12:51 Thread Starter

Hi Terry - thanks I joined the Fiat forum and that was what made me go for a full diagnosis. Were it to be the immobiliser, the engine shouldn't crank, and were it a simple fuel supply problem, the Vehicle protection light should not come on.

My next step will be to send the ECU off for bench test and repair/refurb before looking at other steps. I hate flaky electronics!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 13:19

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
On my 2007 3L Fiat Ducato I hear the fuel pump kick in especially after I’ve been sitting static for a while, it’s so obvious I wait until it pressurises the system and stops before I crank the engine.
And yes modern vehicle electrics often make me hanker for the old days when you didn’t need a laptop.

Terry

BREXIT built on deceit delivered by liars

The people who passed off a pair of gloves as *two* items of PPE may not be entirely honest.

'Get Brexit Done' anagram - BEING EXTORTED

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
The Following User Says Thank You to dghr272 For This Useful Post:
sheds (12-04-2021)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 13:28 Thread Starter

OK Terry I will leave it for a couple of hours before trying again. I'm assuming that the pump is located within or close to the fuel filter housing (on my Frankia that is on the nearside rear engine compartment wall). To be honest I have never really noticed the characteristic ticking but I shall try to discover the pump location.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2021, 15:15

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheds View Post
Thanks Ray. I just went to recheck what happens when i turn on the ignition. Initially all the lights come on then go out and the fuel gauge needle moves as expected. I am left with three warning lights illuminated:

1. The Low battery charge (which normally goes out when the engine kicks in)
2. Handbrake on light (for obvious reasons)
3. Vehicle protection system failure light remains on glowing steady

To be honest I don't ever hear the fuel pump from inside, but I will enlist the help of my wife to operate the ignition while I listen out. Meanwhile I am waiting for the last bits of snow to clear before I have a go in the engine bay
If the in tank fuel pump was operating then you would hear it during the initialising process from the inside. It does not tick but buzzes for 30 seconds or so after key is turned to MAR. It is fitted in the tank in the cover accessed in the floor between the driver and passenger seat. It is the in tank pre pump not the high pressure pump in the engine compartment. It appears that the immobiliser is on, indicated by the Vehicle Protection System Failure lamp, for some reason or other. Anyway it is a waste of time trying to start it whilst the immobiliser is On. Have you tried it with the second key?

It may be worth checking that the crash sensor has not tripped and needs resetting? The link shows LHD vehicle. RHD the sensor is on passenger side
https://resetservicelight.com/reset-...fiat-ducato-3/

Thinking about it a bit further I am not certain how much communication can take place between an OBD tester and the ECU if the Vehicle Protection System Failure has operated. It normally requires the ignition to be on [MAR] and I suspect the Vehicle Protection System Failure not to have operated. The attachment of the protection system implies that it would need to be connected to a tester such as the Fiat Examiner using the Emergency code provided with the vehicle when new to enable them to communicate. I would be loathe to condemn your ECU at this stage.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf key code system.pdf (456.4 KB, 7 views)
sheds and dghr272 like this.

Last edited by rayc; 12-04-2021 at 15:43.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page