Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Won't start.... alarm ? Fuel pump ??????

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 ·
Our 2003 Ducati has a Toad C4 alarm fitted which according to the manufacturers cuts power to the starter and the fuel pump when armed. Sounds reasonable.

Last time we used the MH (December) it was reluctant to start after emptying black and grey waste at service point 15 minutes from home, but start it did sand it ran perfectly.

I tried to start it a few days ago and it cranks well but will not start.

Why not I wonder ?

RAC does not exist here and being 3.8t we cannot tow it to a garage....

Could it be the immobiliser not disarming one circuit ? Manufacturer thinks unlikely but possible, we have no idea where the control unit is fitted, probably somewhere in the dashboard, but cannot contact the original fitter or the original owner as time has passed...

Suggested today tgat may be fuel pump problem.....

But really no blue so we may have to involve our insurance company who do provide breakdown over, but will they cover it at home ? Where should it go ? Local garage ? They are Renault agents but did change cam belt etc in 2019. Fiat dealer is 50km away - that will not be cheap for a 3.8t vehicle. Mobile mechanic ? Have not found one yet....

Any suggestions ?

See less See more
#3 ·
You stated it is cranking over OK so would suggest slackening one injector and check if fuel coming out. This will confirm fuel pump working.

Possibly your ignition key battery is also down if not used and therefore signal to immobiliser not reaching the receiver below steering wheel.

Travel Trolls on Youtube had problems after they allowed their battery to flatten and when jump started alarm activated and wouldn't start. They charged the battery overnight and all was well.

Just a couple of thoughts.. hope it helps.

Alan

#4 ·
I hated immobilisers as they always 'worked' when you least wanted them to. First thing I either got rid of or 'immobilised' on buying a van.

Ray.

Reactions: Penquin
#5 ·
First check if the fuel shut off device is working Dave.

Check the Fiat Forum too.

It's what on old diesels was called a stopper and was worked by pulling a knob on the dash. Now electrically operated.

I don't now about Ducatos, maybe it's visible or maybe not, but mostly you can hear the shut off opening as you turn the key.

#6 ·
Sorted today, it was my first guess of the a,arm and immobiliser, not because of low fob batteries but due to it needing resetting for whatever reason it had decided.

I followed advice on here and from the alarm company successors as the original business was taken over by Scorpion and Sigma. Very helpful technician there who made a few suggestions which reinforced / echoed advice on here and our best friend Mr Google.

Fold back the carpet in front of the left hand seat, there is a metal plate below it, secured by cross head screws.

Unscrew and lift that up so it is easy to hear the fuel lift up (low pressure) pump as it primes the system.

Turn on the ignition and listen.....

The pump should be heard running for about 20s. If it cannot be heard, there is a fault there, if it does not cut off there is a fault downstream or perhaps the filter is blocked.

Once that was heard, I reset the alarm system - great fun with multiple moves.

Then try starting and it did 😁.

That has probably savad a small fortune for us and our insurance company.......

Thanks for all the suggestions. According to the technician that I spoke to, the inertia fuel cut off, designed to cut the fuel in the case of a shunt, fails even if the door is slammed apparently, some seem to be more sensitive than others, so just be aware - I had never heard of such a gizmo before.... 🤔

#8 ·
Yes Jan, and how..... we had visions of 1000€ notes flashing from our bank account to A.N. Other (mechanic ?) as they changed everything in sight, and a few that were not......

I knew NOTHING about the inertia valve (near the vehicle battery apparently), so yet another lesson learned (thanks Alan), I wonder if I am unique in that ignorance ?

#10 ·
I used to use an Internet swith as a DIY immobiliser years ago, our first motorhome had one fitted when we got it, i knew nothing about it until it failed and the AA man found it, it hadn't been secured properly and had waggled on, I didn't know they had two pumps til then.

#12 ·
Do I have to teach you everything John?

Bloody predictive text, should have read interrupt switch which I have sneaky feeling you knew all along you old rascal.

Reactions: eurajohn
#13 ·
I had the same problem when filled up with diesel then van would not start. The issue was the solenoid (Black box) fitted on the end of the fuel pump which is a cut off solenoid. It took me ages to grind the bolts off the metal security cage with a Dremel mini grinder as the bolt heads snap off when fitted from new (security bolts). The new solenoid is approx. £100 new or it can be by passed which I did until I found a replacement solenoid.

#14 ·
I followed advice and slowed down my starting sequence.....

When switching on, wait,

Until the whirring noise from under the floor in front of the passenger (left hand side) seat, this is the priming pump which pushes diesel to the main pump for the injectors.

If you are too fast, the priming pump cannot get enough fuel up so the engine will not start, or so I was told.

It seems to sort it, the engine has started every time since I slowed down....

Just as well as we were on the Blaye Citadel campsite yesterday afternoon in the pouring rain on a slope up to the road, so no pushing to the road..... last time we were in such a position we ended up axle deep as the front wheels sunk in to the soggy ground (Evesham CL 2006) when we needed pulling out by a tractor. I had a message telling me of a medical appointment 120km away at 1100 today, we got the message at 2030 yesterday and the French curfew starts at 1900.

We started, got out without too much gouging of the grass, and got home after only seeing perhaps 20 vehicles on the whole journey, including no police to check our “attestation” - probably they were all off as it was VE Day - a public holiday linked by a “pont “ to the weekend.....

But that seems to be the action for us to get started, long may it last....

#15 ·
the fuel must be back flowing I think, leap in and start has always worked for our vans, might take a second if left for a while but no waiting involved, Eurajohn might have a comment to make but I would get it looked at Dave.

Reactions: Penquin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.