Fiat Ducato replacement jack capacity - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By raynipper
  • 1 Post By nickkdx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 18-01-2021, 01:08 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Fiat Ducato replacement jack capacity

I want to replace my Ducato jack with something better.
Suggestions on bottle or trolley jack (size seems to be the main point).
Also what's the minimum lifting capacity? As the vehicle is 4450kg fully loaded, I suspect a 2000kg jack would be ok to lift one wheel.

Last edited by Khazana#2021; 18-01-2021 at 01:14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 18-01-2021, 09:00

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
The jack supplied with the vehicle is adequate for the use it is intended i.e. emergency use of changing a wheel for the spare, it will need to be used as per the instructions in the vehicle handbook.

If you decide you want better, the best is a trolley jack, however you will find that virtually all the budget range of them will be unsuitable, usually because of a lack of lift height, if you decide to buy one with the suitable lift and weight requirements you are likely to have problems finding enough space to carry it with you.
A "bottle" hydraulic jack is the most cost effective way to get the necessary lift and weight requirements fulfilled but as with all lifting equipment, will need to be used with care and following the guidance on its use.

John
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 18-01-2021, 09:26

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Agreed John, then there is the problem of bottle jack height.
Most suitable and heavy enough bottle jacks will be at least 25cm in height closed. A van with a flat tyre might not have the clearance to position the bottle jack under the suspension or chassis. Unless the van can be driven up onto lumps of wood or the spare wheel.

As you say accommodating and carrying a trolley jack is also difficult due to space and size. Either way I would always advocate a trial run at home to see any problems before ending up beside a fast moving motorway at night in the rain.

One ferry crossing we saw a camper with a flat tyre forced to drive off the ferry and off to the lorry park before being able to call for assistance. Must have really messed up the tyre by then.

Ray.
Penquin and dghr272 like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 24-01-2021, 11:19

I would worry about a bottle jack because they are made to lift straight up but a vehicle tends to lean as it’s lifted and the jack could pop out.
I’ve used the standard Fiat jack several times with no problem.
Just my thoughts.
eurajohn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page