Leisure battery Hymer classic 2.8JTD 2005 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By jiwawa
  • 2 Post By jiwawa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2021, 12:13 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer C524 Classic
Leisure battery Hymer classic 2.8JTD 2005

Happy new Year Motorhomer's would you say i have a problem here, the situation.;- EHU CONNECTED, no 12v lights etc switched on, engine not running. ELEKTROBLOCK 99 Charger switch set to Lead Acid position. Volts on leisure battery showing 15.64v

EHU disconnected, all lights switched on to drop volts on Leisure battery. 12.96v Then engine started, volts rose to 13.7v
The Leisure battery is fairly new, and a lead acid battery was fiited before ichanged it.
I'm a bit concerned, but i have never checked the voltage before on the leisure battery, so i think it has been like this a while. There is no heating of the L battery or signs of buckling.
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Bombero
ps i have attached photo's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leisure batt showing Volts.jpg (141.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg EBL 99 showing charger switch.jpg (73.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: gif EBL 99 front panel.gif (74.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by bombero; 03-01-2021 at 12:17.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2021, 12:21

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I'm not the most knowledgeable person to answer but it sounds like all is fine to me. When you're on EHU your batteries are under charge and therefore will have a high reading (as also when ignition running if the system is so wired).

Once you come off charge of any kind the batteries will revert to a very respectable 12.5v or so.

I think.
Penquin likes this.

Jean
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2021, 12:29

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
12v batteries are normally charged at around 13.4v AFAIK, they generally show a voltage of around 13.9v when on EHU or with engine running.

That voltage does not drop until at least 30 minutes after the charging system (EHU or engine) is switched off.

BUT it looks like your charging voltage is a bit higher than expected, that may be due to a fault, or it may be the voltmeter itself. One thought, does your system charge the engine battery at the same time ? If so the higher voltage could be because it is doing precisely that and there may be a voltage drop through the wires to the engine battery ?

If there are no problems and nothing has changed, don't worry. Just keep an eye on it.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2021, 12:31

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Ooh, I'm glad I've learned something from being on this forum for 13 or 14yrs!!
erneboy and Penquin like this.

Jean
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2021, 16:31

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
15.6 volts if accurate is high for a flooded cell battery, I'd check with another meter and if the figure is correct I'd be looking to find out why so high.

You need to let it rest and check the voltage of the battery with it disconnected from the vehicle, if the result of that check is a figure above 12.6 volts, reconnect the battery and carry out the test again using same procedure as you show in your post.
It is not uncommon for a system to show above 14 volts if the battery is in a very low state of charge.

Long term 15.6 volts that will damage the battery.

John
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2021, 10:24 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer C524 Classic
Thanks guys for your feedback, i'm going disconnect the leisure battery then connect again to see if it resets anything. I will check also with another meter as suggested. The battery does come back to 13.7 when EHU disconnected. I'm hoping it's not the Elektroblok 99 that's at fault. Thanks again. bombero
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2021, 10:32

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
I was just looking into Electrobloc problems for another poster on two other threads !

AandNcaravan services are superb, very trustworthy and may well be able to give you definitive advice and assistance.

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.u...ektroblock.php

They also service the units rather than just sell another if that turns out to be what is needed.

Good luck, do keep us informed please - it helps all of us to learn and then, perhaps, offer advice to others if/when they encounter similar problems.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page