Frankia Ducato - Warning lights and no Speedo or Rev counter - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 30-09-2020, 16:48 Thread Starter

Frankia Ducato - Warning lights and no Speedo or Rev counter

Today I had to get my campervan MOT'd as the grace period expired. In the summer I changed the brake pads and did some habitation related projects. On starting the engine the ABS warning light came on and I noticed the rev counter was not moving. While driving, the fuel guage registered empty with the warning light on, the temperature gauge did not move as the engine warmed up, and the speedo also didn't move. Finally the indicator warning lights did not blink although the lights were working. The MOT test centre connected to the diagnostic machine which gave a fault saying "ABS NBC mode absent". I will verify that with the garage tomorrow when I pick it up. They said the fault would require attention from a Peugeot dealer (its a fiat X250 3L but i guess the chassis/engine components are the same) so before mortgaging the house I wondered who might have seen the same issue.......

I have googled the error message (I don't have the actual code) but cannot find such an error message and the only other information is that the MOT test garage asked if I had bump started it - pretty tough with a 8.4 metre campervan (so the answer was no). I'm expecting this to be a long and difficult and expensive problem. In terms of history I have not had any issues with warning lights although to be fair the vehicle hasn't left the drive this year due to COVID.

Has anyone with a fiat Ducato 2007 3L come across this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 30-09-2020, 17:03

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 13:31 Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. It sounds like no real resolution although there may have been some kind of reset when the ECU was sent for diagnosis. Now I need to figure out how to perform an ECU reset.......

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 16:35

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
I'm glad I have an old van. As long as I shove a few logs in the boiler, it just seems to go.
raynipper and Pudsey_Bear like this.

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 22:34

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Would the MOT folk have logged the error code?

Jean
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 16:36 Thread Starter

They recommended a firm called AirBagman who after much wrestling, managed to get a communication with the various components using Fiat diagnostic software. He couldn't be more definite than a likely communication issue over the CAN (some kind of comms bus that links the various components) so he has escalated me to an auto electrics man to track where the wiring fault lies so we can debug it. Having seen the price of recon/service of the ABS unit I'm pinning hope on this next expert in the food chain. Shame because the van drives like it's new and the brakes are really good! No MOT is a problem as mine ran out of its COVID grace period
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 10:33 Thread Starter

Auto electrician managed to coax a lot more information from my system and as a result I sent the instrument panel to BBA-Reman for detailed analysis and repair, so thats another £300 spent with no absolute certainty of a fix. Looks like I'll now have to pay for an MOT retest. Suddenly with my first grand child making an appearance yesterday, the van might have provided a way that we could visit our daughter while maintaining social distancing rules. I'll update when I hear from BBA-Reman. I have to say that giving customers feedback and status updates is not a criteria where I would rate this company highly.........
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 13:54

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Good luck Sheds, it is terrible living with these modern vehicles when a silly sensor or even less can leave you stranded, if they have all this bloody tech why can they not have self diagnosis built in, mind you that would probably go tits up too.
sheds likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 16:16

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheds View Post
Auto electrician managed to coax a lot more information from my system and as a result I sent the instrument panel to BBA-Reman for detailed analysis and repair, so thats another £300 spent with no absolute certainty of a fix. Looks like I'll now have to pay for an MOT retest. Suddenly with my first grand child making an appearance yesterday, the van might have provided a way that we could visit our daughter while maintaining social distancing rules. I'll update when I hear from BBA-Reman. I have to say that giving customers feedback and status updates is not a criteria where I would rate this company highly.........
You should have used the firm I used. They were excellent and lot cheaper to by the looks of your quote. I think it was about £100 for mine. £170 for rebuild.

Alan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 14-10-2020, 16:29 Thread Starter

Hi Alan - I discovered that they did have a job query link which I used to find out that my cluster had been tested so I rang to find that my instrument cluster is perfect with no faults showing up when attached to a CAN Bus simulation test. So now all I know is that I could have a fault somewhere on my CAN bus or with one of the contributing nodes - except the instrument cluster. So more money out of the door and now its back to the auto-electrician to dig a bit deeper and actually look at wiring. Oh fopr a manual that would let me see the routing of the CAN bus wiring so I could at least check for obvious problems. So far i'm at £250 with no idea of a solution. What is the point of fitting these flimsy communications systems without building is methods of detecting breaks in the circuit.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page