Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Duxcato radiator protection against road stone strikes

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  zdravko455 
#1 ·
We have been quite happy with the new Ducato, but even before we have done 2,000km - we were told that a stone strike caused a leak of our radiator. Apparently the loss of coolant caused a safety fuse to trip which stopped the transmission so that the engine would not overheat.

So we had to change the radiator.. We did not go off-road and we did not hear the stone strike the radiator. Nor was there any ricochet damage to be seen. Apparently just our bad luck that a stone of just the right size and vector whizzed between the plastic grille and struck the radiator and caused it to leak.

As we fully intend to drive long distances I decided to DIY install two meshes, one for stones and the other for insects!

If anyone else wants to do the same, you may wanna watch this:

#3 ·
The impact on cooling performance would be my concern.

I had to have the aircon condenser on mine replaced because of presumed stone chips, which surprised me as I tend not to drive up the bumper of the vehicle in front when I'm driving the motorhome!

#4 ·
Hello Boyadine.
I realise the roads and or terrain on OZ are not the same as Europe and maybe you have encountered a flying rock to damage the radiator. But this is the first time I have ever heard of this problem.
The only time I have been aware of radiator damage like this is when deliberately punctured by an aggrieved neighbour with a long screwdriver. Have you annoyed someone recently?

Ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.