1990 Ducato 1.9TD in Hymer - recommissioning - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
1990 Ducato 1.9TD in Hymer - recommissioning

Hi All,

Newbie here, having just bought a 1990 Hymermobil 564 with the Fiat Ducato 280/14 1.9TD engine with just under 120,000km on the clock. It has been sitting for around six years without being used, so I am just about to start recommissioning it. I have experience with petrol engines, but very little with diesel.

The previous owner had a mechanic install a battery and start the vehicle, using an external fuel tank, bypassing the internal one. That mechanic told her that there is a problem with the injection pump, and it needs taking off, stripping and some internal parts replacing. However, I want to start from the beginning and do the obvious things first. I doubt that six year old diesel is much good, so I believe my first job should be to remove/drain the fuel tank, replace the fuel filter and refill with new diesel. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to do this (e.g. should I remove the fuel tank entirely, and if so, how?) Anyone have experience with typical problems with fuel system on this vehicle? For example, is the injection pump prone to failure after long periods standing, or is there anything else I should be looking at?

Many thanks,

JL, Versoix, Switzerland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:34

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Oh my Gawd, what a can of worms JL.
If the engine runs that must be half the long battle. As pumps and seals do tend to suffer when left for extended periods.
But as your finding out everything else will either leak, rust, absorb moisture, etc. etc.

I once bought an older 36ft. RV that had been used as a 'caravan' at horse trials for some years. Complete with full tanks, birds and mice nests. The belts flew off on the way home and the tyres all shredded within 10 miles. I had to fix just about everything including the blown floor and roof.

Good luck.!!!

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our lifeīs savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:19

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
This will sound like a daft question but have YOU seen/heard the engine running rather than just taking the sellers word for what has been done? It would be very easy indeed for them to say it has been run and then if you have issues, claim All was in order when sold! In your situation I would want to see it running before parting with money.

Before spending any serious money I would invest in getting a thorough damp check done as damp is the FIRST thing to address as, if present, it will only ever get worse.

I wish you the very best of luck and fortune with your project because, by the sounds of it, you have a lengthy job ahead of you.

The basics of Diesel engines are pretty much the same as a petrol, itís just the fuelling system thatís (way) different, itís worth Googling to see how a Diesel engine works so you understand the differences.

It MIGHT be worthwhile enquiring about a reconditioned injection pump as if some parts in the present one need replacing itís odds on some others will. Be warned, they are NOT cheap items though.

Having been standing for that long the brakes will almost certainly be seized up and in need of overhaul prior to going on the road and the tyres will almost certainly beyond their service life as well.

Like I said, good luck! Be sure to keep us posted as to your progress and ask any questions you want.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, itís in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 13:10

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I'd be looking in on the Fiatforum as well for advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page