Clutch or gearbox - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-11-2018, 22:53 Thread Starter

Clutch or gearbox

I recently drove to stoneleigh a distance of approx 70 miles ,within 1 mile of my destination i could hear a fairly loud clunking noise coming from the engine area. i parked up and visited the showground . Later on the return journey the noise disapeared only to return again within the last mile. I have checked the drive shafts,renewed the rear engine mount but when i started the engine the noise has started again. The noise happens in neutral and when i am stationary. Could it be the clutch which was renewed recently or possibly the starter motor which was also renewed recently.To investigate it would mean removing the gearbox.
Any other likely reasons for the noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 14-11-2018, 23:24

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome trundleman.

It would be helpful if you said what base vehicle you have, and what age. (not that the information would help me to answer your question! but it'll be useful for others)

Jean
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-11-2018, 00:11

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Does the noise stop if you depress the clutch pedal? If so then that points to a fault in the gearbox. Does the frequency of the noise increase with engine revs? Itís unlikely to be the starter motor UNLESS itís worked itself loose, but then you would get an awful racket as you used to start the engine.

Approach this in a logical sequence and eliminate all the daft things first, such as a fan belt thatís breaking up an a part of it is hitting something. Sorry if that sounds a bit vague but trying to diagnose a noise when you cannot hear it is a tad difficult!

Andy
greygit and raynipper like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if itís in a caravan!) I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-11-2018, 11:02

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
The gearboxes can be noisy at tickover. Read this: https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/320...-rattling.html

Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Joseph Goebbels
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-11-2018, 11:06

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Interesting first post from a member who joined in 2009. The noise of course could be due to many things including the serpentine belt feeding the alternator and power steering pump.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-11-2018, 19:55 Thread Starter

Well the vehicle is a 1.9 turbo diesel (1993), its not the timing belt or the water/alternator belt either. i did notice that the oil level in the gearbox was very low,i have now added oil to the correct level on the dip stick.
My greatest fear is the perhaps i have damaged the gearbox whilst driving it on a low oil level. What i think i will do is start the engine in neutral and depress the clutch a few times to see if the noise goes away,also perhaps with the engine running remove the starter motor just to make sure that the starter pinion gear is properly disengaging.
Anther thing which i may do is put a lever between the flywheel and block,this can be done from underneath the vehicle ) this will check to see if the flywheel has come loose. If all else fails it may be a case of removing the gearbox to check on the state of the clutch. The weird thing is this is an intermittent noise almost as if something had dropped down into the bellhousing and was being picked up by the rotating flywheel or clutch housing.One thing i am not sure about is whether when the engine is running and in neutral if any gear trains are turning in which case perhaps its a broken gear or smashed teeth.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-11-2018, 20:26

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by trundleman View Post
One thing i am not sure about is whether when the engine is running and in neutral if any gear trains are turning in which case perhaps its a broken gear or smashed teeth.
The first motion shaft and layshaft turn all the while the engine is running and clutch engaged.

John
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-11-2018, 21:35 Thread Starter

So presumably john if the vehicle is in neutral this means that the clutch is disengaged so there should be no shafts turning, is this the right interpretation is so then
in theory its most probably a problem with the clutch.The clutch replaced by myself about 2 years ago and which until now has been ok.
I have no problem selecting gears which one would have thought would be difficult if the clutch was faulty.The mystery deepens.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-11-2018, 21:59

My Motorhome: Pilote 740C Sensation
Personal Aire
Quote:
So presumably john if the vehicle is in neutral this means that the clutch is disengaged so there should be no shafts turning, is this the right interpretation is so then
in theory its most probably a problem with the clutch.The clutch replaced by myself about 2 years ago and which until now has been ok.
I have no problem selecting gears which one would have thought would be difficult if the clutch was faulty.The mystery deepens.
I guess the clutch thrust bearing could be loose in its holder and rattling. Whilst the engine is running with the clutch not pressed then the main shaft will be turning. When the clutch is pressed the 'connection' between the flywheel and drive shaft is opened [thrust bearing pushes on clutch pressure plate which releases clutch drive plate] and the shaft stops turning. That is irrespective of whether a gear is selected or it is in neutral.

Last edited by rayc; 15-11-2018 at 22:02.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 15-11-2018, 23:16

My Motorhome: Pilote 733 FJ
Quote:
Your interpretation is exactly the opposite of what is meant, to try to answer your question in your language.
With the engine running, gear selection in neutral, and the clutch pedal in its at rest position i.e. without your foot pressing it down, the first motion shaft and layshaft will be turning, if you depress the clutch pedal that will disengage the clutch and stop the shafts from being rotated.
If the release bearing is loose on its keeper a light touch of the foot on clutch pedal will remove any likely backlash likely to cause a rattle, also if the noise is from either gears (unlikely) or gearbox bearings (more likely) these will also stop when the clutch pedal is pressed, unless of course it is the release bearing and then it would be likely to get worse.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page