Fiat Ducato 18 JTD 2.8 needs a new engine - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 08:23 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Lunar Roadstar 786 (2006)
Fiat Ducato 18 JTD 2.8 needs a new engine

Hi

Disaster stuck while in France last week and the cam belt failed on my Lunar Roadstar, a Fiat Ducato 18 JTD 2.8, while leaving a Lidl car park. I was in first gear doing about 5 mph. To be honest the noise it made I initially thought the exhaust had hit the road.

The MH is currently in France awaiting delivery back to the UK in around 10 to 14 days. I had MHF insurance and the DAS breakdown cover has been excellent. I returned yesterday and have now got to sort out it's repair, which is proving problematical.

I have spoken with the MH dealer, as I insisted when i bought the MH in Oct 2014 a new cam belt was fitted. It has done 8000 miles since then so has failed before the recommended change interval. The dealer, who has serviced the MH yearly, is willing to take up the matter with Fiat if I pay for a full engine diagnostic. They have quoted £5380.30 + fitting + vat for a new engine. I reckon around £10000.00. So any offer of good will from Fiat will almost certainly leave me with a substantial bill.

Initially I was hoping to take it to my local garage who has serviced my cars for years. They had quoted me £2800 + £700 to £800 fitting + vat for a recon engine. However the owner has said he cant do the job as the vehicle is too big for his garage and is reluctant to take it and look at the engine, to see if it is repairable, as in his experience he says it is 95% certain to need a new engine. I have rung round my local independent commercial repairers and no one seems to want to fit an engine. All have said they don't want the work.

I know I can get used a engine via the internet. In 30 minutes yesterday I had an engine quote, allegedly from a fire damaged MH with 36000 miles, for £1300.00 delivered.

Does anyone know / can recommend a garage, or is anyone on here a mechanic, where I could get the MH delivered for repair. Ideally in Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambs or Essex but to be honest it can go anywhere in the UK as it is being delivered back on a trans-porter and I can collect when repaired. Happy to have a recon or used engine fitted, for example the one quoted above, but simple cant afford dealer prices.

Many thanks - also joined and posted on the Fiat Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 12:56

My Motorhome: Flogged it.
Feel for you, what a bummer.

I would go down the route of sourcing one and getting it fitted unless of course the dealer is paying.

So if the cause is the cam belt is the dealer paying for the whole repair.

Have you got it documented anywhere that a new cam belt was fitted when you bought it in Oct 2014?
The Following User Says Thank You to coppo For This Useful Post:
swanny65 (11-08-2018)
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 13:43 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppo View Post
Feel for you, what a bummer.

I would go down the route of sourcing one and getting it fitted unless of course the dealer is paying.

So if the cause is the cam belt is the dealer paying for the whole repair.

Have you got it documented anywhere that a new cam belt was fitted when you bought it in Oct 2014?
Cheers for your reply.

The dealers take is do a diagnostic (strip the engine down completely), send the report to Fiat and go from there. I have all the dealer service docs and the service book shows cam belt and tensioners fitted Oct 14. My fear is it could be the water pump seized in which case Fiat will not offer any good will as a separate cause of the cam belt failing, my MH will be stuck at the dealers and i will have a diagnostic to pay for plus moving costs as i cant afford their £10k estimate.

I think its a case of cutting my losses and aiming for a repair at about half the dealers estimate.

Thank you

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 15:05

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
My regular garage, Taylor's In Clifton, nr Blackpool, recommends a replacement at 4-yearly intervals.

Time for mine to be done as well now. The last time it was done, there was a lot of discussion on here about whether one should do the water pump as well. My mechanic that time round, an acknowledged expert on Fiat Ducato's, said mine really didn't need doing. Now I'm getting nervous!

Was recommended always to give time for oil to warm up and circulate before driving off. Parking up long-term is always detrimental.

Sorry about your bad luck. Hope you get a satisfactory result.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
The Following User Says Thank You to HermanHymer For This Useful Post:
swanny65 (11-08-2018)
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 15:14

I never knew the water pump was driven by the cam belt I am certain it is not on your van.
The Following User Says Thank You to coppo For This Useful Post:
swanny65 (11-08-2018)
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 15:16

The following is a quote from an expert mechanic who deals with lots of engines 2.8 JTD.
''The water pump is definitely not driven by the cambelt so IMHO does not need replacing unless there is a problem with it. There is an argument for changing it at the same time due to access but I don't personally bother on 2.8 engines unless the pump is leaking or noisy''
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coppo For This Useful Post:
HermanHymer (11-08-2018), swanny65 (11-08-2018)
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 15:36

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Got it - thanks for refreshing my memory. I just didn't express myself very well.
coppo likes this.

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
The Following User Says Thank You to HermanHymer For This Useful Post:
swanny65 (11-08-2018)
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 16:33

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Also change fan belts often, it's not unusual on some engines for it to snap and wrap itself around the bottom pulley, smash or bend the cam belt cover and snap the belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pudsey_Bear For This Useful Post:
swanny65 (11-08-2018)
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 16:49

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Really feel for you and sadly my take is that the dealers are trying to shift the blame onto you by asking you to guarantee the work. Of course them doing the diagnostic also gives them the chance to cover up any failings on their behalf that they uncover whereas an independent diagnostic performed by someone OTHER than the dealers may shed light onto why it failed....

I had a Volvo 650 where the cam belt failed (big time) and the dealers had assured me it had been replaced during the major service before we accepted it. They also quoted £5000+ for a replacement (10 years ago). I declined and took it to our local garage who rebuilt it for £1500 and in so doing discovered that the reason for failure was that the tensioner had not been changed - the part was not listed on the invoice for the major service where it should have been according to Volvo.

They therefore made an ex-gratia payment of £2000 to cover the expenses and incidental expenses - for them cheaper than being sued for shoddy work..... Might be worth thinking about such things.....
trek likes this.

Thinking of; Mavis, Ray, Sandra and Albert at this time.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
swanny65 (11-08-2018)
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 17:23 Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppo View Post
The following is a quote from an expert mechanic who deals with lots of engines 2.8 JTD.
''The water pump is definitely not driven by the cambelt so IMHO does not need replacing unless there is a problem with it. There is an argument for changing it at the same time due to access but I don't personally bother on 2.8 engines unless the pump is leaking or noisy''
Shows I know sod all about engines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page