Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Fiat Ducato (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/)
-   -   horn not working (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/141305-horn-not-working.html)

con-tiki 10-05-2015 18:16

horn not working

Hymer year 2000 2.8 tdi...Mot due next week...Usually when I lean over the steering wheel to open window blinds I always accidently lean on the steering wheel and the horn beeps...Today however ....silence...Right enough when I tried the horn ...nothing...Checked the fuse ..ok...I don't even know where the horn is situated, I assume its in the engine bay? Shirl

erneboy 10-05-2015 18:18

Find it and give it a few taps with a spanner. If the doesn't work check if it's getting power.

rayc 10-05-2015 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by con-tiki (Post 1442433)
Hymer year 2000 2.8 tdi...Mot due next week...Usually when I lean over the steering wheel to open window blinds I always accidently lean on the steering wheel and the horn beeps...Today however ....silence...Right enough when I tried the horn ...nothing...Checked the fuse ..ok...I don't even know where the horn is situated, I assume its in the engine bay? Shirl

Any help? http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/for...to-Horn/11325/

con-tiki 10-05-2015 18:26

well...thats the problem...I don't know where it is ...I know this may sound stupid but I am assuming ( again) that it is shaped like a horn...Can't see anything resembling one in the engine bay.....:confused:

philoaks 10-05-2015 18:30

72 Attachment(s)
On my X250 it is tucked up inside the front wheel arch on the drivers side.

You have to remove the protective shield inside the wheel arch to get at it. Not sure if the earlier Ducato was the same but may be worth a look if no-one knows for definite.

rayc 10-05-2015 18:33

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by con-tiki (Post 1442481)
well...thats the problem...I don't know where it is ...I know this may sound stupid but I am assuming ( again) that it is shaped like a horn...Can't see anything resembling one in the engine bay.....:confused:

The link I posted to said it was behind the offside headlight and "you have to put your hand up the wheel arch there is a small opening and you can just see the horn"

I realise that is for a coachbuilt and yours is presumable an A class but it will be in the same area.
The photo shows the later X250 horn and that is i think the same one as the your X244.

gaspode 10-05-2015 20:33

On the 2.8JTD I'm pretty sure it was bolted to the engine subframe at about bumper level on the N/S (passenger side). If it isn't there it'll be in the same spot on the O/S. It's quite difficult to access or even to see - but you can wriggle your arm up to it from underneath, I've had to change a couple of them. On our 2.8 "A" class it was in this position.

The Fiat horn is about the most common item to fail on the 2.8JTDs and generic ones only cost a few quid from Halfords. My advice is just replace it.

TheNomad 10-05-2015 22:16

The horn is mounted on the right side ( if standing in front of the bonnet looking into it) on the chassis subframe, quite low down.
Usually easiest to remove the front panel, which sits just below the bonnet when bonnet is shut, to get at it.

BUT, often the problem isn't the horn itelf, rather it's the contacts under the steering wheel. Which you can fix yourslef in 5 minutes, for free.

If so, here's what to do: -

Get a flat chisel or screwdriver and gently pop up the plastic centre section of the steering wheel.
Detach the wire that's underneath it (it's a push fit).*

Mark where the steering wheel sits relative to the centre boss...so you can refit it in exactly the same place.
Unscrew the centre steering wheel nut a couple of turns and pull the wheel up (bang it a little from underneath to ease it up off its splines. Once it's free, remove nut fully and lift steering wheel off.*
Carefully clean the two copper contacts that you can now see and gently bend them up slightly till they come level with plastic outer ring.*
Test it by placing a piece of wire between both contacts; if horn beeps you have done it.*
Replace the wheel, retaining nut and horn push components.*
Job done.*

Penquin 10-05-2015 22:24

Agree with TheNomad - check the steering wheel end, the contacts may well need cleaning or slightly bending - they are only small copper strips and can fail..... Go with care though as it is easy to adjust them so they contact permanently - not helpful.

Removing the steering wheel central nut may require a large socket and a LONG lever - it may require a tap or three to jar it loose.....

Dave

113016 10-05-2015 22:28

Agree, it is on the nearside and very very very difficult to get at. Much quicker and easier to find the wire and fix a new horn in a conveniant location. They do fail quite often, also they fail behind the steering wherl.