2.8 idTD Power Increase Project - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 20-12-2020, 14:07
EJB

My Motorhome: Burstner Nexxo t620G
Old thread with update....magic....and there's more! 30% increase in fuel efficiency.....lend me your magic wand......Oh, someone already said that...more or less!
Happy Christmas.

Ted.
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 20-12-2020, 20:11

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duksu View Post
This is just to help if someone is feeling 2.8idtd underpowered.

Had my pump piston pin modified, rev limiter raised @4400rpm and fueling increased. Also got as big wheels inside the original turbo that could be fitted, boost increased to 1,8bar by adding an additional spring to keep wastegate more closed, straight 3" exhaust, no mufflers. Added some air reflectors to original cooler, opened up intake (still original filter as K&N and all free flow filters are rubbish), added water/meth injection to keep engine and EGTs cool. Upgraded original 235mm clutch to JTD 240mm which was P&P, but it lasted only for two days. Got upgraded pressure plate to it and it has been fine for some five years now. Haven't dynoed, but something like 200-220hp, 600Nm. Literally no way to adjust low end torque (not a JTD engine), which is hard on the clutch, gearbox, driveshafts, etc. Now looking for some bigger nozzles to release some 20-40hp which should be close what clutch can handle. Original pump head is 12mm, so it is good for at least 350hp. You don't need to worry about 5th gear, because it's really beefy. The problem is when you use low revs with 5th gear as it doesn't get lubricated. I use 5th gear only above 2000rpm and have no problems with it. Biggest gearbox problem seems to be when you do moneyshifts from 2nd to 3rd as syncroring won't take that for long. Over 100tkm with this setup now without problems.

Was originally 11,5L/100km @100kmh, now 7,5L/100km @100kmh as I have only been improving efficiency so far (original camshaft, original swirl). If I find six or seven hole injectors with decent spray pattern efficiency should improve even further.

I have driven identical Ducato 2.8JTD, originally 145hp/310Nm, now chipped 180hp/400Nm and it feels so slow compared to mine. It's like night and day.

I have built also VW T4 2.5TDI van -96, 380hp/850Nm and MB OM606 (=3L, inline 6cyl, 24v, IDI diesel) in W201 chassis, 692hp/1250Nm, so my Ducato is just a mild improvement.
Hmm.!

EJB and raynipper like this.

John
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 14:03

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Best advice I got for the iDtd engine was don't buy one, I did try one and then a JTD, the JTD is a country mile better to drive despite only 6 HP between them.

Those mods mentioned are for someone who seriously has a clue.

Before buying a Ducato, I'd look at these engine specs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 26-12-2020, 15:06

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
Best advice I got for the iDtd engine was don't buy one, I did try one and then a JTD, the JTD is a country mile better to drive despite only 6 HP between them.

Those mods mentioned are for someone who seriously has a clue.

Before buying a Ducato, I'd look at these engine specs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato
And for someone that has a seriously optimistic imagination and / or optimistic rolling road dynamometer, probably better if both are available.
erneboy, EJB and Pudsey_Bear like this.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page