Door mirror adjustment - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-01-2014, 21:53 Thread Starter

Door mirror adjustment

The driver's side mirror on my X250 (electric and heated) is currently refusing to stay in position and folds in at anything above 30mph.

Has anyone successfully tackled this problem or at least knows how to access the hinge mechanism?

Thanks in advance.

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 17-01-2014, 22:44

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Hi Roger

If you look along the top (and bottom) of the horizontal arms between the door and mirror head you'll see a joint line of the two plastic mouldings right in the centre. You simply need to split them apart by careful prising with a broad screwdriver blade or/and a knife. It's a bit scary until you've done the first one but quite easy when you can see where the little lugs are that hold them together. The piece that faces the rear of the van comes off.

Once the plastic trim is off the hinge mechanism and steel tubing arms are quite easy to access. I can't recall how it adjusts but I think it'll become obvious once you've exposed the mechanism.

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 00:10

As gaspode says once you've flicked off the bottom cover there is a large nut that tightens up there is a spring loaded eccentric cam washer in the setup but mine slowly came at lower & lower speeds and even now so tight I can barely push it in if I need to it will still fold in at 80 plus,(portugese motorways)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 14:45

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 670 SLT Supreme
This happened on my m/home but on nearside, only had it a month and the mirror started folding in, vehicle is 3 yrs old . The dealer said that they can't be tightened up so they fitted a new one FOC apparently they cost about 400

A computer beat me at chess once but it was no match at kick boxing
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 18-01-2014, 19:05 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help. As soon as the rain stops, I'll have a go and let you know how I get on.

Roger
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 11:39

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
pomme1 - As soon as the rain stops, I'll have a go and let you know how I get on.

Has the rain stopped and, if so, how did you get on?
cabby and cabby like this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 12:15

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Maybe it broke and he is on the 7 year promised bad luck. or just not happy with the answers that he got if they did not work for him.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 18:39 Thread Starter

Sorry guys! I'm one of those who thinks it's incredibly discourteous when people don't feed back. It won't happen again!

Anyway, I tried splitting the casings and couldn't move them. In the end, I prised off the cover on the underside of the bottom arm. This exposed the bottom of the pivot and a large staked nut/washer. I tapped that round with a hammer and punch and, touch wood it's been fine since.

Roger
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 19:22

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
pomme1 - thanks for the update - I know a man who's got a similar problem and thanks to you he'll know how to sort it out.

Cheers.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 23:03

My Motorhome: Oh no - a caravan!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomme1 View Post
Sorry guys! I'm one of those who thinks it's incredibly discourteous when people don't feed back. It won't happen again!

Anyway, I tried splitting the casings and couldn't move them. In the end, I prised off the cover on the underside of the bottom arm. This exposed the bottom of the pivot and a large staked nut/washer. I tapped that round with a hammer and punch and, touch wood it's been fine since.

Roger

Must try this on ours - thanks. From what I'd read on this forum and others, everyone said the X250 mirrors couldn't be tightened .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page