Motorhome Facts Forum banner

The UP button - what does it do?

15K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Pudsey_Bear 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The description on the website

"The UP button is designed specifically for motorhomes: it optimises gearshifts on steep up and downhill gradients and when traveling at full load."

Has anyone any experience with this? Can anyone explain? Does it help the economy or make it go faster? :?

Gesture Material property Tints and shades Nail Font

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is on the Fiat comformatic gearbox and it changes the rev level before there is a gear change. For example, if you are going up a long hill it's possible that the gearbox will change up a gear and you end up in too high a gear for the hill. Engaging the up button means that the MH will stay in the lower gear for longer.

Well .... that's my understanding anyway!!
Font Publication Paper Number Document

#4 ·
Makes a big difference in hilly areas - I use it a lot. For example it generally stops the box changing gear part way round a hairpin bend.

It also gives you more engine braking downhill.

So it it a bit like 'sport' mode in so much as it broadly increases the rpm point when a gear change occurs.

Living where I do I engage it before leaving home, until I'm down to the bottom of the valley. Vice versa coming home for coming back up the steep hill up to our house.

#5 ·
This was posted recently elsewhere

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.